“Wonderful!”

Ranked #4 of 70 Restaurants in Donegal Town
Cuisines: European, Irish, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Donegal’s finest traditional old Irish Bar & Restaurant offers a warm welcome to visitors to Donegal Town and locals alike. The Olde Castle Bar and Restaurant Donegal is home to the finest Donegal seafood, steaks, beers, wines & whiskies – served by the O’Toole family and their team, with a smile and a Cead Mile Failte!
Reviewed June 3, 2014

My boyfriend and I had a fantastic meal here. We weren't rushed, and enjoyed a local cheese plate to start. The South African wine we ordered went well with both of our meals - lobster special for me and venison pie for him. The value was excellent. People who think the food is bad in Ireland haven't been to awesome places like this.

1  Thank MoFish417
There are newer reviews for Olde Castle Bar

Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Two of us had the fish cakes which were excellent. The other person had the sea trout . It was cooked to perfection and declared to be delicious. A very pleasant dining experience overall.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

The staff were superb. The bar looks great from the outside and its ok on the inside.

My starter, a smoked salmon salad, was the best I have ever had. Really really really awesome dish!

The main dish, fish, were superb too. And the wine selection was better than expected.

We finished off with a Cheese selection, which was great. I recommend this restaurant, we will be back.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

The Olde Castle Bar was bustling on a Thursday evening with clearly happy diners. Staff are very friendly and the food is served in large portions at very reasonable prices.
We waited a short time for a table in the bar, the restaurant had a private function on the night we visited. There is plenty of atmosphere and the drinks are reasonably priced.
I went for the Fish Pie which was absolutely delicious but there was plenty of choice covering fish, meat and vegetarian.
We looked at several restaurants in Donegal Town and were happy that we made the best choice for casual dining.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had lunch there, and it was so good, we went back for dinner. The fish and chips were excellent! For dinner, we both had lamb, which was wonderful. Watch the specials, however. They had a "special" price on the board for a lamb dish, but it was four Euros cheaper on the menu. When I asked the waiter the difference between the two, he was stumped. He came back saying that he would give me the "special" on the board for the menu price.