“Wonderful Seafood Chowder”

Ranked #4 of 70 Restaurants in Donegal Town
Cuisines: European, Irish, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Donegal’s finest traditional old Irish Bar & Restaurant offers a warm welcome to visitors to Donegal Town and locals alike. The Olde Castle Bar and Restaurant Donegal is home to the finest Donegal seafood, steaks, beers, wines & whiskies – served by the O’Toole family and their team, with a smile and a Cead Mile Failte!
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We ate and had a few pints here both nights we stayed in Donegal town. This was Noreen's tip and it was great.

maebh, Owner at Olde Castle Bar, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Delighted you enjoyed our Chowder. we have to confess we do take pride in the quality and flavour of our Seafood Chowder, with our fish all sourced right here in Donegal. thank you for your review.

There are newer reviews for Olde Castle Bar

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My wife and I were on our honeymoon and decided to go to donegal for the day realy enjoyed our day untill we came to this restaurant food is good no complaint item was how we felt as customers we had enjoyed our meal and ordered some drinks . As you do in a restaurant you pay for the bill once finished and leave a tip. Staff shouted to another member of staff had table 4 paid up unaware that my wife and I heard them in front of us talking about us . My wife said to me maybe they want us to pay the bill so I got up a kindly said would you like us to pay our bill now even thow we had not finished staff said oh we thought we had lost your bill mmmmmmmmmmmm this made my wife and I very uncomfortable we felt like the staff didn't think we where going to pay one staff member who was new was a guy serving us we had no complaint or any problem from this staff member. But I ordered a couple of drinks about 6.30 before we had to leave to get 7:00pm bus to enniskillen and paid my bill in full which was just over 75 euros and gave the guy that had served us just under 5 euros for a tip but on leaving female member of staff went and checked again the same staff member who shouted in front of us had we paid the bill to another staff member we felt uncomfortable and made to feel like non payers or like dirt

3  Thank Ross M
maebh, Owner at Olde Castle Bar, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

This review we find most strange!
Yes there was a mix up with the bill which went astray but had nothing whatsoever to concern our customer.
our staff do not shout at each other.
There was never any question of our doubting the customers intentions, it never crossed our minds. Had we had a doubt we would simply have asked for payment.
Perhaps after their copious rounds of Guinness, Vodkas, Cider and double Brandies the customers judgement was somewhat impaired.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Food was fantastic, atmosphere was fantastic... book if you want a table though!! we were lucky to get one as patrons were leaving.

A great little pub!

delighted you enjoyed your meal with us.
many thanks for your kind comments.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Had dinner there with my daughter and she had the burger. She said it was the best burger she found during our trip to Ireland and possibly the best she's ever had. Local beef, minced and seasoned very uniquely (compared to our hometown area). I asked for the recipe (which they thought was odd) and was told that aside from the usual seasonings (they didn't impart the details) they used mustard. We didn't ask if it was American mustard or English mustard because we weren't aware there was a difference until later in our trip.

I had the lamb stew and it was very good and hearty. Portions were more than adequate (which we found to be the case everywhere we ate in Ireland).

Staff was friendly and place was very busy. It's in a quaint town right next to Donegal Castle.

Thank you for taking the time to review your experiance in our bar/restaurant and your kind comments.
If you really would like the recipe please email us directly and chef will send by return. Sorry, you should have had a better responce to your request on your visit.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I had a lovely meal at the Olde Castle Bar & Restaurant this evening. After perusing the menus of restaurants around the Diamond (central Donegal town), this one looked like it offered the most seafood options. We weren't disappointed! Hubby had the Donegal seafood platter (17euros) salmon, hake (?), a large prawn, prawn salad, crab salad, an oyster, several mussels, with brown bread and salad) while I enjoyed my separate crab salad (11euros). Local folks seemed to come, dine, and go, and the service was very accommodating. When i wondered what the crab looked like (meat from body, legs???), the proprietor kindly looked it up and brought over a photo. Had we dined later, I saw Donegal Bay lobster and monkfish on the chalkboard among the evening offerings. We asked about the CDs being played and the waitress looked them up for us! Good food, cozy, traditional pub atmosphere, amazingly good prices!

maebh, Owner at Olde Castle Bar, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Delighted you enjoyed your meal with us.
We are fortunate to have the finest fresh fish and shellfish right on our doorstep and a team in the kitchen that also really apreciates good Seafood.
Thank you for taking the trouble of sending in your review and hope you enjoyed the rest of your hols.