“Hostess and Lodge great!”
Review of The Gap Lodge

The Gap Lodge
Ranked #12 of 44 Donegal Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Three older ladies shared a very nice room. Cila (Sheila) was a very kind gracious and helpful hostess. The Lodge is located a few miles north of Donegal City, on the main highway, no problem to find. It is a super area to explore, started with lunch in Mount Charles then exploring the peninsula out from Donegal all the way to Slieve League and Glencolumbkille, Lunched in Mount Charles and dinner in Killybegs. then off to the Lodge for a good nights sleep and a wonderful breakfast. Then with help from Cila, exploring the great city of Donegal. Don't miss this area!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 17, 2013

This B&B is situated before you enter Donegal Town. It is in a very quite and nice location. The owner greeted us with chocolates, tea and coffee in our rooms even though we arrived late at around 11pm on a Friday evening. The room was very clean, spacious and also contained an electric blanket.

The breakfast the next day was also one of the best I had from all the B&B's I've gone in Ireland. Besides cereals, fruit, yoghurt, coffee, etc., there were a variety of options to choose from the cooked breakfast. We took the savoury scrambled eggs with bacon, and couldn't have done a better choice. Pancakes, scones, jams, honey and maple syrip were also provided.

Would definitely recommend this B&B and the price is also very reasonable.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank livermagpie
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Well what can i say about this family ran B&B. In one word EXCELLENT, my wife n I stayed here and were greeted with a warm smile from sile, the whole home surroundings r so clean u could eat your food off the floor.
The menu here is for all needs from ur trad fry to ur porridge and cereals so u wont go hungry because ur host will make sure your full. As for the views there fab, mountains all around and beaches to go for those long walks to clear the head from the night before where u would have enjoyed the crac in all the local pubs. I would recommend this fine estableshment. A credit to sile and charlie

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2013

What an awesome B & B!!! It's a super convenient location with beautiful surroundings. Shiela (totally misspelled, sorry), the owner, is so sweet and helpful. The breakfast was delicious, the wifi worked great, and the bathroom was a decent size which I found was not always the case in Ireland. Our room was on the ground floor which was great not to have to drag our luggage upstairs for once.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Melissa R
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very friendly welcome, the house was spotlessly clean throughout. I can also have no problem recommending the excellent breakfast menu. As a person that usually does not take the usual traditional Irish breakfast I had plenty choice. The porridge was first class, and I can also recommend the scrambled egg with smoked salmon. On both of my nights here I walked to Biddy' o Barnes pub which is just a 10 min walk, but as it is a walk along the road be sure to wear a high vis jacket.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed here in this B&B for two successive nights with a colleague of mine. It was a random choice on our part but we were happy to have knocked on their door late one evening.
It's situated just outside the town in a beautiful part of the world on the road North, is very clean and the lady in charge couldn't do enough for us. (I can't recall her name)
My highlight of the stay was the breakfast though. Our stay was only supposed to have been for one night but when we made it back the second night, on a return from Malin head, man, was I looking forward to the breakfast the following morning.
Michael.

Room Tip: It's probably a popular spot so book in advance.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Many times I have passed by this Family run establishment without staying there so I decided to give it a try. We were greeted with that overwhelming and traditional Donegal Welcome that has by now, become rather famous from this part of Ireland.
First impressions are, the cleanliness and tidiness of the complete premises with absolutely nothing out of place whatsoever. The thought and consideration for visitors is obviously so high on the owners list that we were unable to fault them.
Awakening each Morning with a window view of the Mountains, which are basically just across the Road from you is a dream to most. These Mountains are the start of those that form the great divide known as the Barnesmore Gap.
There is a nicely varied Breakfast Menu which caters for everyone’s tastes. The traditional morning fry is beautifully replaced by the healthy Morning Grill and is delightfully tasteful. No matter what your choice is, there is home made scones and toast with a choice of breads to accompany it.
Our hosts, Sile and Charlie run a well organized Guest Accommodation, which I would compliment as being among the finest run establishments out of the Hundred or so that I have visited in my Lifetime.
Staying here is a marvellous base for Hillwalkers, also it is a great central location for visiting Donegal Town, Ballybofey, Glenveagh National Park, Lough Eske, Golfing, Fishing and Pony Trekking. The Famous Public House “Biddys O Barnes”, is within walking distance.
My Wife and Myself were so happy with The Gap Lodge, so before leaving, we booked a return visit. We learned afterwards that quite a few of their visitors return again to this Gem among the Hills of Donegal, that alone, speaks for itself!
I can very strongly recommend The Gap Lodge to anyone who is considering a scenic stopover but wants to stay outside town limits.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple