“Best tour ever - superb”

Doagh Famine Village
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have been here twice and enjoyed it enormously. When I arrived the first time, through wonderful scenery, I wondered at the wisdom when I saw it from the outside and just how remote it is. That was the last of my concerns. The tour was the best I have ever experienced anywhere. It was so informative and many expressions we all take for granted were suddenly made clear in. Very chatty, entertaining fashion. I baulked at the idea of a staged 'wake', complete with coffin but I forgot all about it and became carried away in the tour. The guide, Pat Doherty, I think, was excellent. Not a polished, fully trained, impersonal guide but very at home dong what he does. It transpired that his family had lived at the homestead until the eighties. when it got to the political bits, as Irish history and society invariably does, it was handled in the most impartial way imaginable. The tour ends in an area dedicated to boom and bust in Ireland with bang up to date information eg. What teachers earn , how many helicopters were sold, etc. You are free to wander everywhere after the tour ends as well as have a cup of tea with biscuits and wheaten bread as part of the entrance price. It is a functional dining area but very welcoming and the tea is good. Lots of artefacts to look at. The props may be a little homespun, but the whole effect is better than any other attraction I have been to. Just goes to show that money does not beat imagination and genuine interest.

1  Thank Izzywizz_8

Reviewed October 20, 2013

The history here is amazing, the initial tour was most informative, and the layout very good,but becareful as it looses itself towards the end as it becomes more political and nothing to do with the famine.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I think the best part of the experience was the tour guide's information about life in Ireland during several periods in history. Although some of the displays were found wanting the overall picture is very favourable

Reviewed October 9, 2013

This was a trip near where we were staying in Ballyliffin. I was amazed by the information told to us by Pat. My nephews loved the haunted rooms. Very much a beautiful spot with a dip in the ocean after our lovely tea and soda bread. Made to feel very welcome:)

Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is a fascinating insight into Irish history in general and the Famine in particular. Much has been written about this period, but this exhibition really puts it in perspective about everyday living conditions. History is brought right up to date in a really engaging manner and Majella is so knowledgeable. We would recommend this as a not to be missed attraction for ALL ages and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also the landscape and scenery is some of the most beautiful in Ireland - the atmosphere really adds to the experience.