“Lessons to be learned!”

Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lessons to be learned!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Patrick, the owner, guide and former inmate of this fabulous museum has a message he wants to share with the world and he achieves this with imagination and ingenuity. I had many questions answered regarding Irish history. But more than this, he puts presents the national dilemmas of the past in a modern global and local context. An amazing and entertaining experience that I would recommend to anyone who seeks comprehensive and impartial information on the development of Irish society,and has a spare seven quid-fifty p to spend on an afternoon's entertainment and a nice cuppa and bikkie to boot!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Kaz G

Belfast
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“A Day Out”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Having been told about the Famine Village by a friend, my wife and I traveled to it from Bushmills on the Antrim coast, We went via the ferry from Magilligan to Greencastle Co Donegal at a cost of £17 for a return ticket for a car, the journey took about 15 minutes and we were told by the ferry staff the last return ferry from Greencastle was at 7pm.

On arrival at In Greencastle we turned left towards Moville along route 241, In Moville we turned right up Main Street on route 238 and having stopped to ask for further directions were directed to head along route 238 towards Gleneely after which we should go along the Carn Road towards Carndonagh and then join route 238 again towards Ballyliffin.

Just before Ballyliffin we were told we would see a sign on our right hand side for the Famine Village. We followed the instructions and arrived at the sign about twenty minutes later, A further several minutes were taken up driving along a narrow winding road during which time we saw one confirmation sign were heading in the right direction. We then arrived at a the entrance sign to the Famine village with a large car park on the left and some small buildings on our right.

We parked close to the entrance of the car park and having assembled my wheelchair headed into a wee red door at the entrance of the Famine Village. On entering we were welcomed by a very friendly lady who informed us the tour price was seven Euros fifty each which included refreshments consisting of coffee, tea biscuits and some bread and jam.

The entrance door to the village was narrow but my wife managed to negotiate the wheelchair and me through the doorway without too much trouble and we arrived in a long courtyard with several buildings on either side and a number of seats and tables where other people were enjoying their refreshments. A short time later our refreshments arrived and we sat down to enjoy the moment.

We were told the tour of the village would be in about five minutes and noted during our coffee break several other people arrive who were also told as they arrived that the tour would be in about five minutes time. [ It was fun to note the lay back attitude to time and quite refreshing].

About fifteen minutes later a tour guide arrived and invited us to follow him to the first house in the courtyard where the tour would begin. Previous trip adviser comments outline the tour content and like most of them my wife and I enjoyed every moment, even the scary bits.

I must say it was the best value for money I have had in a long time and the amount of information regarding the Irish past, some of its suffering and the way they survived was amazing.

The tour guide had an extensive knowledge of all things pertaining to the area and its history, indeed he had lived in one of the houses up to the the early 1980 period so was speaking about some of his own life experiences.

All in All a very enjoyable experience and we will be letting all our friends know about it so they too can have a bit of fun, enjoyment and improve their knowledge about some of the historic events and life styles in Ireland both North and South.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank esenior
yorkshire
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Family Day Out”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I visited the Famine Village three years ago and as we were in the area again on a family holiday decided to go again. The ages ranged from 5 to 81 and everyone said how much they had enjoyed their experience, the children loved the haunted house, a new addition from our last visit. the guide we had was very interesting with his tales! We found all the staff very friendly and the tea and bread finished the tour off. The scenery round the village is lovely with a beautiful deserted beach, just wish the weather had been better so we could have spent some time there.

Visited August 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“pleasantly suprised by this visit”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

When staying in Donegal (Inishowen) recently my wife suggested we visit the Doagh Famine village.We were amazed at how well all the local history was displayed and the guide Pat knew everything there is to know about the area.The tea and wheaten bread was nice at the end of the tour.Worth a visit and great value.

Visited September 2013
Boston
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Could use some professional updating”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband & I stumbled upon the village on our trip in early July of 2013. This tour was made so special by the tour guide who was a native to the area and extremely informative. The diorama's could use some professional work but if you can overlook that aspect it is well worth the entry fee.

The terrorist house at the end of the tour seems somewhat out of place but the refreshments at the end was a nice touch.

Visited July 2013