Tripadvisor
Cork

“Appalling attitude from the owner”
Review of Lishh

Lishh
Ranked #62 of 88 Quick Bites in Cork
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I have been a regular and loyal customer of this premises for over two-and-a-half years, visiting every Saturday morning while my girls are next door at dance class, and there is usually a minimum of 4 in our group, where we all have breakfast/ scones and numerous coffees while we wait.

I have heard the OWNER of the business being horribly rude and abrupt before with his staff but today was the first time I witnessed where he acted appallingly towards a paying customer, with a small child

This child was about 3 years old and she was drawn to the large amount of open, exposed food sitting on a low-level table in the middle of the restaurant.

She put one of these loose, exposed food items to her mouth, and when her father noticed, he apologised profusely and offered to reimburse the cashier the value of that item but simultaneously, the owner of this premises verbally attacked him and publically criticized him while he was settling his bill.

The embarrassment and discomfort that this customer felt was palpable and after an exchange with this rude individual this customer quickly left with his young child

I do acknowledge that children handling food like this is not correct, but in my opinion the parent responded very appropriately by offering to pay for the item in question. However, I also understand that food like this, albeit low risk, should not be displayed or stored at a level where it is exposed to possible contamination, including handling by young children. Sneeze guards/ barriers as a minimum should be provided by the food business operator.

For someone to feel they had the right to treat anybody this way in public and have a paying customer demeaned in such a manner was completely unacceptable in my book.
It is obvious that custom from local families coming in to this premises mean nothing to this individual because he generally tends to treat families with disdain and almost rolls his eyes when he sees anyone with young children entering.

Obviously this family is not 'well connected' or important enough to be spoken to civilly, and I sincerely hope that this person has an attitude overhaul before he succeeds in ruining his business.

Date of visit: January 2020
4  Thank Culchiequeen
Write a reviewReviews (32)

Reviewed October 29, 2019

I was visiting lishh with a few of my good friends both men and women for a relaxing bite to eat . When I went to order a sandwhich from the deli the owner John approached the deli where he took over he gave his staff member a look as if to say leave as he walked around frowning upon everyone and being utterly rude I began ordering my food from him as he became frustrated when I asked for a half portion where he got angry . I would not recommend this cafe to anyone as the food was basic and over priced .

Date of visit: October 2019
4  Thank sinead8
Reviewed October 25, 2019

I have visited the cafe 3 times and those 3 times I have witnessed the boss, I believe his name is John, be completely and utterly rude to his staff. Every time I’ve been there there has been new staff members so I believe the way he treats his members makes them want to leave. I had a poor girl serving me the other day in tears over the way John was speaking to her. I was speaking to her and told her to get out of that job because it will seriously effect her mental health. I think this is a disgrace. Me and my husband will NOT be returning to the premises.

Date of visit: October 2019
8  Thank Maryod123
Reviewed September 18, 2019

I never write reviews but after treatment received today I felt compelled to! I regularly go to Lish cafe to meet friends for lunch and have also ordered outside catering from them in the past however following this afternoon's experience this I will not be doing again! As I was in the area I decided to purchase a homemade brown soda bread to take away from Lish(as I have done on many occasion!). I was being served by a very friendly young male member of staff who asked if I wanted the bread wrapped -I declined his offer however when he put the soda bread into a paper bag it was sticking out as it was too small a bag,I then said I'd take him up on his offer of wrapping it if he didn't mind. While he was trying to locate the paper for wrapping the soda bread- a male colleague with hair tied in a ponytail (appeared to be in charge as was giving orders) came over and asked what he was doing,he told him he was looking for the paper to wrap bread. At this point I said if it was easier that I would just take another small bag and put it over the top of the bread? Guy with ponytail responded by asking me how many soda breads was I taking and I said one, then he said very abruptly "will that not do you so?" I explained that I had a buggy and was walking and that the soda bread would become loose and slip out of the small bag as it didn't fit and at this point I offered to pay for a larger bag if there was a problem. I cannot believe how rude and unhelpful this staff member was towards me and I am so disappointed as I really wanted to use them for catering for my sons upcoming christening however with that attitude I would rather spend my money elsewhere!!!

Date of visit: September 2019
4  Thank Emer F
Reviewed September 17, 2019

Myself and 7 other mothers met in Lishh this morning, as we have done numerous times before, all but one ordered food. Our bill would have come in the region of €100-€120
One of us produced a gluten free, dairy free, egg free, vegan bar as she has dietary issues only to be shouted at (by the owner) to put it away. We all thought he was joking with her because of the way he spoke to her but then he proceeded to walk past the table and again shouted to put it away. We asked was he serious and he said he was. He then went on to lecture my friend, all the while with his finger stuck in her face about how he had 15 staff to pay, had 3 business to run and didn’t allow the likes of her to bring in her own food!!!!!
While we get what he was saying about bringing food onto the premises it was they way he spoke to her, wow!!!!!!!that we took issue with. He actually brought her to tears
All I will say is that if that is they way he speaks and treats his customers I would hate to be working for him.
Definitely won’t be returning to his premises!!!

Date of visit: September 2019