“Outstanding ”

Ranked #121 of 663 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: Irish, Japanese, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: An intimate restaurant run by locally famous chef Seamus O'Connell, featuring some of the most imaginative food in Ireland. The menu includes world fusion with strong influences from mexico, france, japan and even ireland, with dishes such as blackened shark with banana ketchup and venison and chocolate chimichanga ensuring that Cork locals and tourists alike take the time to locate this hard to find restaurant.
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Just back from an outstanding meal at The Ivory Tower. It looks nothing on the outside but continue up those stairs and prepare for a great experience. We had the Brazilian fusion tasting menu and it was sublime. Quirky intimate surroundings, unusual but really tasty food, great if heavily marked up wine, buzzing atmosphere. This is be a place that we will return to and tell our friends about. Shout out to Sophia the waitress who covered so many tables so well and smiled throughout and well done the chef!

2  Thank Evharjaksofia
Zarhee, Public Relations Manager at Ivory Tower Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Hi, and thanks for your great review and for putting up the photos. We've only just launched the Brazilian tasting menu so it is great to have the feedback.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We found the restaurant by chance and even though we were not planning to have dinner, the environment was inviting that we ended up staying for a platter and a glass of wine. The platter was prepared with care and the delicacies included pate, terrine, carpaccio which were all excellent. Great find and would definitely go back when we are in Cork next. The prices were very reasonable for the quality, the service was honest and ten staff very knowledgable.

Zarhee, Public Relations Manager at Ivory Tower Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Hello Mita_London
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad you enjoyed eating with us, and we hope you do come back next time you are visting the Rebel County.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I went to the Ivory Tower restarant to celebrate our 20th Wedding anniversary last friday 11 April 2014...we have not lived in Cork for years but have eaten in the Ivory Tower many years ago and enjoyed every visit very much at that time so we were really excited at the thought of returning once again and I can assure you we were not disapppointed!

We loved every second of our meal..the food was a thrill a minute ( I think it is the best and most colorful way to describe it and actually describes the whole experience in the Ivory Tower)..the wonderful and most unusual ingredients used in an imaginative and well thought way..all served with such flair...we went for the dinner menu and every mouthful was savoured.by both of us..I just had to try the Conger Eel sausauge while my husband had the soft shell crab..my husband had the venison which was delicious as was the blue fin tuna which was my main course ..a wonderful fusion of world flavors and color just like the decor and music in the restaurant itself..

My review I feel does not do this wonderful restaurant and its chef (s) justice..I would recommend any truly adventurous eaters to visit here and you will truly be amazed..my husband and I have travelled the world and have eaten all sorts of delicacies and foods of every description and we are actually very adventurous eaters but the Ivory Tower and its super menu never fails to surprise us even after we have been away from there for so long..

My husband and I had a most special night out at the Ivory Tower and cannot wait for an opportunity to return soon!

Zarhee, Public Relations Manager at Ivory Tower Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear Finola, thanks for that absoutely wonderful review. You say it didn't do justice to the Ivory Tower, but if that review didn't do us justice I can't imagine what review would.

Needless to say we are delighted that you and himself enjoyed your 20th Wedding Anniversary, and very pleased that we helped to make it a special occasion.

Do come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We went to the Ivory Tower with a gift voucher and availed of five of the seven or eight courses on the taster menu. All dishes were cooked in a Japanese style. For a starter we had marinated mackerel - nicely flavoured and easy to eat. This was followed by Woodpidgeon ( never had this dish before) but really enjoyed it, next was a dish of excellent Hailibut. before desert we had a filet of steak sliced very thinly this was melt in the mouth delicious. Finally we has a pear and apple desert wit home made ice cream. All accompanied by a very nice Alentejo. A most enjoyable meal , good service and a friendly host. Don't be put off by the slightly intimidating entrance.

Zarhee, Public Relations Manager at Ivory Tower Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and share your opinions.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Visited this restaurant last week with family and friends - what a treat.
While the entrance to the restaurant was a little scary - falling down appearance - the staff and food were the best I have sampled. From organic salmon smoked over oak - miso baked aubergine - wild bass with brinjal - venison with chocolate and chipatls -....yes I did not know what some of the food was but the staff and chef were happy to tell us what it was.
You would go here for something very different. Price wise not too sure but as I did not have to pay but think there is a special all in of 50 euro...... well worth every penny.
If you are in Cork and like special food - not just your steak and mash or curry - this will no disappoint. - dont let the appearance put you off - upstairs is lovely and quirky.

Hey Louise, and thanks for the review. Sorry you found the entrance a little scary - we modelled it on the Adamms family house - but delighted that you enjoyed the food and appreciated the service.

For anyone interested in the special menus, please do give us a call. We are open from Thurs to Sat only - and we'd love to hear about your requirements for a meal.