“Faultless food..”

Ivory Tower Restaurant
Ranked #123 of 637 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: Irish, European, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Description: An intimate restaurant run by locally famous chef Seamus O'Connell, featuring some of the most imaginative food in Ireland. The menu includes cajun, french and asian influences, with dishes such as blackened shark with banana ketchup and veal chimichanga ensuring that Cork locals and tourists alike take the time to locate this hard to find restaurant.
“Faultless food..”
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

The chef here is a genius. His food is WORLD CLASS...I repeat WORLD CLASS. a wine list to die for. Quirky . Original. Unique. Sublime. You have to eat here.

10 Thank Frankie M
Zarhee, Public Relations Manager at Ivory Tower Restaurant, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thanks Frankie for those words. They mean all the more as I see you don't bother reviewing many places and you don't hand out 5 stars easily!
Hope you come back soon.

Kilkenny
“Sushi horrendous”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I adore sushi and I sent my husband way out of his way to get some when he was in Cork- Big mistake. My mouth now feels numb after it. I have eaten eaten and enjoyed sushi in several countries and never have I tasted anything as bad. I will never go back or recommend this restaurant.

Visited February 2013
6 Thank Aideen S
Zarhee, Public Relations Manager at Ivory Tower Restaurant, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Aideen

We were very upset to hear about your experiences, and we didn't take this review lightly. After reading it we spent some time investigating.
We can assure you that:
+ every piece of fish you ate was purchased that day in the English Market
+ Japanese-trained head chef Seamus sampled every piece, as he does every evening before service
+ three other diners had the same sushi as you did and both were very happy. One couple made a point of telling us how superb they had found the dinner

You say your mouth 'tingled' after eating the sushi. We don't think there is any way that could happen, unless you had an allergic reaction.

A very small minority of people do have an allergic reaction to raw scallop. Although you say that you've had sushi in several countries before, we wonder if you've eaten raw scallop before?

We do hope you'll visit the restaurant one day and we can prove to you that all food from our kitchen is always prepared to the highest standards.
Cork
“Best food in Cork”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Favourite Restaurant in Cork. Went there for the second time Jan 2013 (first time was 2011, won't leave it as long again), and went for the regular 50 euro menu (going to try the different set menu options next time). Food was outstanding, and I love the cozy vibe there. Not cheap, but not too expensive either (for the quality you get). Great service too, really felt welcome.

• Visited January 2013
10 Thank fathernoel
Zarhee, Public Relations Manager at Ivory Tower Restaurant, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thanks for the great review fathernoel, and for coming back. For anyone reading this, our standard dinner menu is currently €50 and includes a suprise taster, a starter, a soup or sorbet "intermezzo", a main course and a dessert. Other menus include our Japanese Tasting Menu and our now well-known Dinner Tasting Menu, which has 8 dishes selected from whatever the chef found to be the best in the market that day.
Hopefully see you again soon.
“The Dogs Bollocks”
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Seamus' place isn't for everyone, it's not glitzy, it's slick in an understated way!
Fabulous food, world class and imaginative.
Sadly we're always flying in and out of Cork and driving down to West Cork on the wrong day but every so often we make it on a Thursday-Saturday night, fab.
Sadly it's often lunch in Cork in which case nowhere really matches up......

11 Thank Clive E
Zarhee, Public Relations Manager at Ivory Tower Restaurant, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Clive, thanks for the great review. Sorry we don't open for lunch, but we're glad you can make it in for dinner every now and then.
It's true that we don't aim to be for 'everyone'. But "Fabulous food, world class and imaginative" is quite some compliment so thanks for that.
Cork, Ireland
“Food at its very Best”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

If like me, you love your food, the sheer joy of various tastes coming together and don't mind trying something different then what are you waiting for, just book this place. Of course I should warn you that if you expect cardboard starched napkins, silver service, a doorman, fine bone china and matching plates you'd better move on. To me though, this makes the place simply relaxed (note wide use of candles and ambient light) and allows it to focus on the food.

The service too is the way I like it, informative and friendly. I have never been rushed in this place, the whole experience is to enjoy the food and experience, so if you are in a rush may be best not to come.

Overall, for my tastes, this is my favourite restaurant in Ireland by far as it has it all, superb innovative food, relaxed enjoyable atmosphere, great service. While not cheap I would say it is still very much value for money. Top place, try it.

• Visited December 2012
9 Thank JGrant44
Zarhee, Public Relations Manager at Ivory Tower Restaurant, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
JGrant44, what a great review.
You've really captured the spirit of Ivory Tower. A relaxed atmosphere and friendly service that allows people to focus on the food is exactly what we are going for. If we ever produce a brochure can I ask you to write it!
What's more, many years ago when I used to come here to eat and before I started doing some online work for this place, "the sheer joy of various tastes coming together" is exactly what made the Ivory Tower my favorite restaurant. Aubergine, miso and spinach. Shitake, umeboshi and swordfish. Lobster, tomato and fennel.
Thanks again, and come back soon. And if you've never tried the "Shitake, umeboshi and swordfish" phone a day ahead and ask Seamus if he can do it for you.