We stayed in Cork for two nights and visited the Mutton Lane Inn on both nights – it’s that good. The first night was Monday and yet the place was busy – not so crowded that we couldn’t find a seat but vibrant enough to make me doubt that it was indeed a Monday. I can narrow down the reasons for visiting to three things:
• The atmosphere. A historical pub, but one that attracts people of all ages because of its ultra-cozy candle-lit interior and very welcoming and friendly staff. Also, the mural is reason enough to walk down the lane.
• The beer. Besides the usual, they stock beer from Rising Sons microbrewery. The Mi Daza stout was one of the best stouts I’ve ever had and the Grainú wheat ale was also very good. (Mi Daza means great or wonderful in local slang, in case you’re wondering.) They also make good mixed drinks.
• The music. The music selection was really good – kind of like listening to the Paul McLoone or Tom Dunne radio shows.
I’m also giving them 5/5 “green stars” for social and environmental impact. It’s hard to rate pubs for social and environmental impact but I think it’s possible. Here are my reasons for this rating:
• Beer from local brewers (like Franciscan Well) and microbreweries (like Rising Sons) cuts down on the carbon footprint and supports the local economy.
• Rising Sons use local ingredients whenever possible (see article in TheTaste for more details).
• They let you bring in food from outside – this allows better inclusion of people with specific diets – gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, etc.
• The staff and atmosphere appears to be very welcoming to all who wander in. An important thing in this day and age.
• The mural adds the value of art. You may think it’s stretching things a bit to include this under social/environmental impact, but I’d take a mural over a large TV screen any day. Frommer’s even has an entry for the mural, describing it as “a vivid and colorful evocation of peace and community spirit.”
Interested in writing green star reviews? If so, contact me! (greenstarsproject)
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.