“Definitely does not deserve its high ranking- avoid this restaurant”
Review of Strasbourg Goose

Strasbourg Goose
Ranked #15 of 675 Restaurants in Cork
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre
Reviewed February 16, 2013

DO NOT come here if you want:
-good food/cooking skills
-quality ingredients
-a feeling of being appreciated as a diner
-atmosphere

Put it on your list, however, if you want:
-a quick meal
-cheap food
-soulless service

Probably the worst thing about this restaurant is its ranking- it absolutely does not deserve to be the number 2 restaurant in Cork.

A very close second, though, is the food. Delivered in record time (we had a 3 course meal, with coffee in 30 minutes!!), all the dishes are clearly pre-prepared and microwaved (I'd even go so far as to say they're all pre-plated).

My starter was mussels in a white wine sauce and it was one of the poorest dishes I've ever been served. On average, the mussels were half the size of the nail on your small finger, and the sauce was just warmed-through cream with zero wine.
My partner had the fish cakes, which were fine; but nothing special.

I had pan-fried salmon with leeks as a main which was about 100 degrees on the outside, and raw inside (which is fine by me, because I love sashimi)- but this smacks of microwave usage. And the outside was so greasy- my lips were coated even after the first bite. It was carefully balanced on a tasteless watery green liquid

My partner had the duck special and was asked how he would like it cooked (medium-rare). It came cooked to a crisp (10 minutes after it had been ordered), and was the smallest duck breast we had ever seen. Accompanied by a bizarre Christmas cake-like patty and an acrid honey/clove sauce. At least this dish had some flavour to it, but even that isn't a positive commentary.

Sides were creamed "potato gratin", with no gratin, but lots of garlic. And some well-boiled root vegetables (it was suggested we could get extra of the sides for free- not sure how many sadistic diners would take them up on this offer).

The desserts were the best part of the meal, but that's not saying much.

The service was fine- the staff were pleasant enough. But the speed was incredible! We certainly did NOT feel valued as diners.

On the plus side, the staff have clearly learned from previous comments not to remove any plates unless all diners have finished eating the course.

Lastly, the atmosphere is really poor- there is no music, and other diners were subdued (probably because of the unwelcome feeling of the super-fast service).

I would absolutely NOT recommend Strasbourg Goose, unless you're strapped for cash (although you're better off with buttered toast!), aren't fussed about enjoying any part of your dining experience and want to pay for a second dinner on the way home because you couldn't stomach any of the food.

Avoid this place at all costs.

9  Thank 2013vrj
Write a ReviewReviews (1,269)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

this is a great restaurant, I come here during the day with friends regularly and I have never been disappointed, its great for a meal or even just to sit outside in nice weather with a cuppa and scone during the day.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have been many times in the last few months and I have to say I have not had a bad meal yet!! It is always busy so booking is essential but that is because they offer a great value meal. Staff friendly and food is always of good quality.

2  Thank CK929
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is not the second best restaurant in Cork, far, far from it. Felt compelled to write this review as foreign visitors may be taken in by the ranking of the SG in Cork. I have been on two occasions in the past, gave it a second shot after a poor experience service wise the first time round. However the poor, slow service occurred again. The food is fine, not overly expensive but nothing to write home about.

If visitors to Cork want good food and not afraid to spend, I would recommend Les Gourmandaise which is incredibly #18 currently. Staggering!

3  Thank Nathan C
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by our B&B hosts who booked the table for us on Wednesday last (6th Feb) at short notice. Excellent value at €20 for 3 courses (my father loved the sirloin) and the staff were charming and attentive. Triona who runs the show enquired as to whether my father would prefer some mash with his steak as opposed to the chips ( ample amounts supplied), her genuine manner as well as the staffs and smiling faces made us all feel very welcome & relaxed (we did not feel rushed in fact the opposite). This is somewhere that I will return to and recommend to others. Really enjoyed my baileys coffee btw.

3  Thank PamNiMhuiriosa