“Exceptional Staff; Enjoyable Food”

Jacob's on the Mall
Ranked #28 of 662 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: European, Irish, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre
Description: Beautiful Restaurant in the heart of Cork City...Jacobs on the Mall situated in the heart of Cork City has been serving the people of Cork and beyond with the freshest of local and seasonal produce for the past 14 years.
Reviewed May 12, 2013

It seems every member of the staff managed to spend a few minutes with us during our Saturday evening meal at this fine restaurant. Since we didn't have reservations, we arrived early, hopeful of a chance to dine in a justly popular restaurant. The reception was most gracious. By the time we were finished, the restaurant was at capacity, but that didn't curtail the courtesy and professionalism.

They have a young chef who is trying to fill the big shoes of her predecessor. Our sense is that she is on track. The basil and tomato soup was excellent, and our entrees of green chili chicken curry and fish and chips, while not unusual, were prepared with finesse. So too the desserts.

The atmosphere of the old Turkish bath setting is dramatic, and deftly softened with foliage and lighting.

i am sure they have taken some of the negative reviews to heart. In the U.S., I am happy to tip 20-25% when the service is this warm and gracious. While the menu mentions a 10% built in service charge, it wasn't in effect when we were there. Even if it were, what is the big deal? the bottom line is that this is a restaurant that delivers excellent value, and quality food artfully prepared. Most importantly, they care that you were there.

2  Thank ulysses4

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Went to Jacobs midweek before a show in The Opera House. I could not have been more pleased with both the food and service, not to mention the restaurant itself. High ceilings adorned by hanging trees, an abundance of natural light flooding the space. A really special place to dine.

I was running late and told the waiter that we needed to be somewhere. He could not have been more helpful in making sure everything was prompt, from taking our order to delivering our drinks, food and the bill. It's a pity that we were in such a rush as we didn't get to sample the delicious sounding starters and desserts. This was a flying visit to a restaurant that you want to spend time in.

What we ate: Bangers and mash for me and Thai style chicken curry for my friend. Both sound boring and in many places they are but here the flavours were perfectly balanced and were presented beautifully.

All in all, two mains, two glasses of house Rioja and one Erdinger beer. It all came to just over 55 euro. Very reasonable for the quality of the experience.

We were met at the door by the Manager who asked of everything was okay for us, I told her I will be back but next time it will be for a few hours.

2  Thank nomnoms734
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Two of us ate here recently and were not impressed with the built in 10% service charge.

The menu states that everything is freshly prepared to order, yet when I asked for a plain baked potato with my steak, I was told it wasn't possible because they were already prepared, with a sour cream and bacon topping??!

Hello?!! how long does it take a chef to bung a spud in the microwave? It would certainly have been cooked WHILE we were having our starters, especially as it took forty minutes for a starter to even reach our table.

Staff were polite, but insincere. Everything they said, at each and every table, was by rote, leading us to believe that there was no interest whatsoever in our experience at the restaurant.

Overpriced, underwhelming, and while the staff played a role, that's all it was. Rote service, and a built in service charge to boot.

I would never leave a restaurant without leaving a tip, but the amount would be at my own discretion, not imposed on me like it was here.

1  Thank mollyjessCork
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Lovely ambiance, friendly staff, great food! My friend is a coeliac and the staff went out of their way to ensure that she got great choices and delicious food.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My sister and I visited this restaurant one evening last month on a Saturday, we didnt have a booking but they were good enough to fit us in.
Very nice staff and service,
My sister is a ceoliac, and I am alergic to yeast,
Eating out can be a frustrating experience, as we have to double and triple check to make sure, we are getting the right food, gluten free and yeast free,
We eat here quiet a lot, as we are always sure we are taken care of when it
cones to food alergies.
So with confidence we asked and explained our alergies, no problem we could both eat what we fancied from the menu yippee,
I was shocked and I could eat the white tomato bread, I was trilled as it used to be my favourite, it was nevver offered to me before, I was trilled
Had 2 pieces
We got our fish and chips with peas and a sauce very tasty,
I couldnt finish all the food and couldnt understand why I felt sooo full, comepletely bloated.
Kept saying to my sister how full I felt
She said, she didnt feel that full and could eat more, my stomach had never felt so full and became very uncomfirtable,
Didnt make it to the end of the street and felt very sick.
I just threw up all my dinner. What a relief felt better the minute it was out.
Had to go home didnt feel great.
Phoned restaurant to tell them what happened and to inform them , "was there yeast in the white tomato bread, did the waitress make a misrake.
I was put straight on to the chef wirpthout been informed, found this a bit weir, I should have been told by the owner I was been transfered to the chef .
Explained how bloated I was and got very sick and the ad to go home and was dussapointed in gaving to cut my evening short.
She informed me under no circumstances was there yeast in any of the food ,
She went through all the food in great detail, but I asked her how she could explain how the food made me so sick..
She wasnt listening she kept repeating herself , oiw she was not and couldnt be wrong, she was right and avoided the question then why did I throw up 3 minutes from restaurant unkess there was yeast in the food
She was and could never be wrong.
I just gave up, ut was pointless arguing with this person .
She is always right
She tried to insinuate maybe it was something I had to eat before I came into there restaurant.
I was absoulutley egsausted after getting off the phone from her, and wished I had never rang

2  Thank complaintcork