“It does exactly what it says on the tin.....” 3 of 5 bubbles

Captain Americas
Ranked #324 of 625 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Captain Americas brought the original burger to Ireland back in December 1971. Since then it has continued to serve good quality American style food at great value prices. Home to the famous Captain Americas hamburger and mouth watering flame grilled steaks, there is something for everyone on the menu. Captain Americas offers the most attractive lunch deals in town & the early bird menu is a great way to start every night out. Captain Americas has branches on Grafton St, Blanchardstown and in Cork City. All our restaurants are fully licensed and we have a great selection of cocktails, beers & wines for you to choose from. Over the years we have collected hundreds of pieces of memorabilia from visiting Irish and international stars such as U2, Colin Farrell, Westlife, Debbie Harry and David Bowie and Green Day. Our memorabilia museum creates a unique and interesting atmosphere in the restaurants. We take reservations for groups, please look at our bookings page for further information or call us on the number listed below. Open 7 days a week
Cork
“It does exactly what it says on the tin.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Myself my partner and our 1year old ( who slept through the meal! ) went for something to eat in Captain America's on Monday night, we had a Living Social voucher for €60.

When you go to a diner like this you know what to expect and know pretty much what will be on the menu but I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised with the range on the menu, particularly the main courses.

I had the stuffed Jalapenos, rib eye steak ( medium ), chocolate brownie with ice cream and a coffeee and it was all really nice, tasty and decent portions. If I had a criticism I'd say the salad with both the starter and main was maybe not the freshest. The steak was really tender and was very tasty maybe slightly less than medium. The peppers were tasty but I wouldn't imagine made to order.

My partner had the garlic mushrooms, nice but just your run of the mill garlic mushrooms and then the chicken curry which is deep fried chicken escalopes and curry sauce over with salad and fries and then chicken was a little over cooked but it was tasty and was all eaten.

The atmosphere was good in the place and for a Monday night we were surprised with how many people were there. Service was good too with time given between each course which I think is essential.

I wouldn't say I'd be rushing back there or that it would be top of my list for somewhere to go with visitors but it was nice and we both enjoyed our meals.

Dublin, Ireland
“Ameeerica...Ameriiica”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Not too bad, got the 2 course deal for 15 euro with 2 cocktails. A cranberry based "Woo Woo" and a Cola Rum drink. Food was great. Wings to start, and despite the limited selection on the deal menu I opted for the Chicken & Cheese Enchilada and have to say I was very impressed. Plenty of chicken and lashings of everything else. Wasnt able for a dessert though they looked good and it was cool to see some of the little variations coming out for peoples birthdays. That brings me to the staff. You feel like a ghost in there as the Staff blindly wander past going about their business helping the tables upstairs...oh that's right, there are no tables upstairs. I would have really enjoyed this but for the staff. The main guy in charge that night seemed helpful, but then minutes after arriving informed me the table I had booked was now occupied and we would be placed elsewhere. My group thought value wise it worked out well and everyone was happy with the food and drink quality, however there was some inconsistencies with mix levels in the cocktails. Generally you know what to expect in places like this but by tweaking these little inconsistencies all around, which all add up, would really make this a great experience!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
“Long wait!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

My partner, a friend and her child dined in Captain Americas yesterday. We arrived early to a boisterous restaurant. We decided to have a starter straight away as we knew our friends would not be having starters. The order was taken just before our friends arrived and our friends order was taken immediately when they arrived. The starters were delicious buffalo wings and spare ribs. There was a delay in the mains coming out and we put it down to the restaurant being busy but we asked for the child's dinner and were given the excuse that the rib- eye steak was delaying the meal yet it was the first to arrive and the child's chicken nuggets were last to arrive a seven minute gap between that and the steak. The waiting staff were very apologetic but the reality was that the experience was soured by the fact that it took 40 at least to get chicken nuggets to the table!!!.

Shipdham
“Haven't been here for years. And it hasn't changed...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Tried to get into Liberty Grill, but it was full (will book tomorrow). So came to Captain Americas instead. And it was good...

I last went to one if these in Norwich in about 1975 when it was the height of trendy fashion, and I am glad it has not changed. Still the same booths and booming (though not too loud) bass track. The cesar salad tasted odd with the pine nuts, but was fine nonetheless. The beer choice - desperados (mad, I know) - was cold and tasty. And the prices were particularly impressive. I'm sure much of Ireland must still believe there are two euros to the pound. But there aren't. And often that makes eating out feel like a rip off.
I supplemented the €14.95 two course menu with a couple of extras but perhaps did not need to. The buffalo wings were small but plentiful (half portion? You are kidding) and flavour wise would hold their own with Hooters or Buffalo wings in Manhattan (though the green celery was soapy and the blue cheese dip processed and bland. Shame: it is the little things that you remember. Though not the screaming birthday party kids...I really want to trip one up right now.)
And the came the burger. Not the best, admittedly, (nor the largest - ard are you surf it is1/2 pound? Or is that just the second beer?). Actually, it is pretty tasteless: under seasoned, a little over cooked (it is a sad indictment of a burger then the tastiest thing on it is the fried egg) and then I remembered. This place really hasn't changed. 35 years ago I remember coming to Captain Americas for the experience, not the burgers. If you want a burger in Cork, go to Liberty Grill. I think their fried mushrooms and onions are better as well, now I think of it. But if you want atmosphere and a desire to feel full, come here.
Incidentally, the waitress Martyna was one of the friendliest I have seen for a while: chatty and helpful. Brilliant - the essence of Captain Americas. If only I didn't need to fib to her about the burger...

Cork, Ireland
“Yum!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

The food was good but the €15 meal wasn't worth it. not enough options. the staff were great and really made the experience. i would go back again.

Visited September 2012