“1st visit in 2-3 years - still really nice”

Crawford Gallery Cafe
Ranked #147 of 633 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: Irish, Cafe, European, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Centre
County Kerry, Ireland
“1st visit in 2-3 years - still really nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Used to live near this Café and ate there a lot but moved away a few years ago. Staff seemed to have changed since then but had lunch on a Saturday @ 3 (usually a nice quiet time) and staff were friendly and helpful. We both had the cup of soap with a brown bread, relish, cheese sandwich which was lovely and just the right amount of food for a light lunch. Would recommend this place for light lunches - probably not for people looking for a full dinner (on their lunch menu)

• Visited January 2014

Killarney, Ireland
“service standards have dropped”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Ate lunch here on Saturday - food was perfectly nice (though the menu was not an interesting as it used to be but that's not a huge criticism) but the way we were rushed out was not particularly pleasant. We each had a coffee before the mean and my wife asked for a refill of coffee after the meal to be told " we don't have any more" . A bit of puzzling reply but perhaps we misunderstood what she meant and we weren't that bothered about not getting a 2nd coffee so we didn't pursue the matter. Then the same person came back and inquired if all was okay to with we replied yes and she them whipped all the plates away even though I hadn't quite finished. Again not a big deal as it was only a small amount of food left but she could have asked if we were finished.I had my hand on a piece of brad but my fork was gone....

I fully understand that restaurants like to maximize the number of customers but there is such a thing as unseemly haste and begin made feel unwelcome. If we were dawdling over lunch there might have been some excuse but as we had a baby with us we were not taking our time - in fact I doubt anyone was in and out faster than we were. It might be an isolated incident but it's not a cheap lunch joint so I would expect a little better than being rushed out the door.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Eddie_in_Ireland
Louth, Lincolnshire
“A jewel in Cork's crown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

The cafe is a busy atmospheric gem - more like a small brasserie than a cafe. Charming swift service. All meals were excellent - soup and sandwich were excellent as was the spinach and mushroom crepe and mackerel tart and black pudding salad with caramelised apple. Glass of wine each and lovely Irish bread - everything perfect.

• Visited September 2013
Didcot
“Visit Cork city and lunch well here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Fascinated by Cork and its citizens, I made space to visit the Crawford Gallery. If I was disappointed by the Irish landscapes on show, I was certainly not by the cafe. I am told that real foodies should head
out of town for Ballymaloe House. Some of the staff have been to its famous cookery school, so you may catch a hint of the style here. I made an excellent lunch on smoked haddock tart with homemade bread and,notably, homemade Ballymaloe lemonade worth the visit by itself. There were no free tables when I arrived. I had to wait in the corridor, but a staff member brought me a chair without being asked. Not cheap but very good value.

• Visited September 2013
“We were embarrassed by the waitress and had to leave :(”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

My first negative review, as we were very embarrassed by the waitress. Our party of 3 visited on a Saturday afternoon. Two were ordering lunch, one was just having a coffee. The waitress came down to us and stated that it is policy for all persons to order a lunch from 12 - 3. We were not told of this when we sat down, or when we had ordered or received our drinks. All fine, but she was quite loud about it and the tables around us all turned to see what the scene was about. It was my first time being very embarrassed in a restaurant, and I'm lucky enough to go to restaurants very frequently. I've never had to leave anywhere upset. She made it clear we were to leave. We left money on the table for our drinks and left.

• Visited August 2013