“bank holiday weekend in cork”

Cork International Hotel
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersBronze level
Shannon
“bank holiday weekend in cork”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have learn of the existence of this hotel since February 2012 , and I have always think highly of it as one of the best hotel in Ireland. And my ultimate dream was to visit it someday. I had my chance to do that August 2013.

We had a one night stay at this hotel during our trip to Cork. Upon arrival that Sunday right infront of the main entrance was an unpleasant-to-look-at buffet set up which automatically tarnished the high standards i had of the hotel. The chef on the buffet, uniform was untidy , and the chefs cloth he had with him was very very dirty. It was not really a good first impression. I strongly suggest that the management find another strategic location for that Sunday buffet. I am sure I'm not the only one that has visited your hotel and feels this way about it.

We proceed to check-in, the process was fast and receptionist was very efficient in giving information about the hotel.

Our room was a triple room for three people, however apart from the bed, everything else in the room was set for 2 . I called for extra towels , cups and pillows since 4pm. I received towels after 1 hour. I had to ask for pillows 3 times more ,which was successfully delivered after 10 pm fortunately (6 hours difference) . Cups was never received. In this line i believe communication between front desk and housekeeping needs improvement, and reception needs to follow up with housekeeping that guest request like these are completed within a maximum of 30 minutes.

However apart from these little issues we enjoyed our stay there. The room was of high standard, everywhere was clean ,the bed was comfortable, the television has a wide range of channels to choose from and internet access is readily available.

We had dinner in The New Yorker Bar, food and service was nice. The ambiance and decor was perfect. The staffs were very helpful and friendly.

I would definitely come back to this hotel for the comfort of its bed and taste some more delicious food and drink at New Yorkers bar , and I would definitely recommend this hotel to other people traveling to Cork as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

ManagerCIAH01, General Manager at Cork International Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Dave M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I was glad to see that you were able to enjoy the comfortable and clean bedroom, as well as dinner in The New Yorker Bar. Our ambiance and décor are a huge hit with all of our guests.
I do apologize that your room was not set for three people and for the delay in resolving these issues. I am currently looking into the matter to ensure that this does not happen in the future.
I hope that we can welcome you back to stay at the Cork International in the near future.

Aaron Mansworth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
ireland
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on numerous occasions and never wrote a review so I felt it was about time I shared my experiences.
The hotel is about 10 minutes from Cork City and is very easy to reach by both public transport and taxi. It is located right beside the airport which is ideal for travelling and there is a shuttle bus that operates from the hotel every 30 mins or its just a 2minute walk away.
I have been in the hotel both before it was renovated and after and even though its décor was quirky before, the change now would most definitely add an air of elegance to the hotel. The furniture in the lobby is very plush and elegant.
Changing reception to the ground floor is also a good thing.
The New Yorker Bar is a much welcome improvement and definitely more welcoming now and has a nice atmosphere to it.
The toilets in the lobby are so quirky that someone would want to visit the toilet without needing to use them!!!
The rooms are very spacious and the beds are the most comfortable that I have ever slept in. There is loads of room in the bedroom with deluxe rooms having a double and single bed and a work area and fridge also. Executive rooms have two bathrooms and one with a bathroom, toilet and basin and the other has a large shower and basin.
There is a large tv in each room with over 20 channels and a music library as well.
Wifi is free of charge throughout the hotel and the rooms and there is no time restriction on the use of it.
The staff are always very professional and friendly and are only too willing to help with anything. It is almost for this reason alone that I would use this hotel above others when I stay in Cork. Management showed be very proud of the staff that works here as it reflects a great image on the hotel.
There is a cinema in the hotel as well that shows kids films in the evening and adults later at night.
The Strata Restaurant serves breakfast which is always very tasty and has a great selection. There is a cold meat buffet, and hot buffet with all the usual "Full Irish" ingredients. One major bonus is the hotel has a chef on hand to cook eggs however you may like them. There is fresh pastries included in the breakfast buffet as well.

Overall this hotel is outstanding in its service, food, comfort, style and staff that it deserving of a 5 star rating. I would highly recommend this to anyone I know who would be in the Cork area. It has something for everything, its for couples, families&people on business trips. Also even though it is right beside the airport any time I've stayed here I have yet to hear a plane and you would never hear a sound from any other room which is a bonus, unlike other hotels where you could hear someone breathing in the next room. The rooms are well soundproofed which is a huge bonus.

Room Tip: Executive suits are great but standard rooms are very spacious with a work area and large bathroom
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear clairebear2838,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay at the Cork International. I was delighted to see that you have had so many positive stays with us. We too are very pleased with the whole refurbishment, especially with Reception being on the ground floor and the new atmosphere in The New Yorker Bar.

I am pleased that you are able to enjoy all aspects of the hotel each time that you stay with us. We do have many facilities that appeal to both business travelers and families. Our convenient location to the airport is also a huge benefit.

I will be passing your kind comments on to the entire team here. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best Wishes,

Maryland
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We needed a stay in a full service hotel after staying in so many B&Bs. this was a welcome relief with air conditioning, (hard to find in Ireland.) Free Wifi that actually worked and double insulated windows so it was nice and quiet. We were not using the airport which is about a mile away. They have a very nice pub/restaurant. Not a bargain but worth the extra cost. Buffet breakfast has an omelet - waffle station.

2 Thank grizzski321
Dear grizzski321,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Cork International Hotel. I was delighted to see that you were able to enjoy some of the comforts that we offer, especially the Wifi and air conditioning. I hope that you consider staying again the next time you travel to Ireland.

co.kerry
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed here after late flight . Staff were very accommodating. Room was spotless, plenty towels and toiletries. the breakfast was fantastic. the porridge was delicious. Great variety and plenty of it. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear annaCo_kerry,

I was pleased to see that you were able to enjoy our hotel after your late flight. In particular, I was glad to see that you were able to have a fantastic breakfast in our Strata Restaurant. I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you fly to Cork.

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed August 14, 2013

stood here the night before our flight back home...nice and spacious room with AC and coffee maker. short distance to the airport, free shuttle bus, complimentary pastries and coffee/ tea from 4am. Would highly recommend this hotel...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank heito61
Dear heito61,

Thank you for writing such nice comments on your recent stay with us. Our early morning breakfast is a hit with early travelers and I am happy to see that you were able to enjoy your short stay with us. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel the next time you are in Ireland.

Best Wishes,

Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Visited last Friday with 4 kids and 4 adults... the reception area is fab, staff were very friendly! Rooms were clean and well presented! Children s play area and private cinema on first floor was great fun. Dinner in New Yorker was lovely and breakfast the next morning was amazing! Will defiantly be back!

1 Thank ryanmcgeady
Dear ryanmcgeady,

I was delighted to see that you had such a fabulous stay with us. I was especially pleased to see that you were able to avail of our Cloud 9 cinema room and our Aviator’s Club. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Cork International Hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Was very surprised by the decor and ambience of this hotel, it's fabulous, and wouldn't seem out of place in the centre of London. It's a little gem. The staff were so friendly and helpful, the rooms were large and decorated to a high standard.We had two large beds in a family room. There is free wifi throughout the hotel, no passwords to put in or time-out sessions, just log on through Settings - fantastic. We ate in the restaurant, it was nice but not outstanding, but the breakfast was so tasty with great choice, and a chef is at hand to make omelettes or pancakes, etc. There is a area where you sit in an aeroplane, a great novelty, which went down great with the children. In the lobby area there is a washroom with mood lighting which the daughter absolutely loved, the washbasins changed colour every few seconds...wow! There is no swimming pool, which we normally look for when choosing a hotel, but it was ok as there is a cinema room with fantastic massage chairs in.movies for children on 6pm, then for adults at 9pm. There is 24 room service, great if you are getting an early flight. The only reason I didn't give this hotel 5 stars is that there is no separate bar that sells bar food. There is a bar area within the restaurant with high bar stools, but we didn't want to sit there with children, so we retreated to the lobby. Also, the food was quite expensive and we would have preferred a lower budget pasta or burger. All in all a great hotel and would certainly go back if paying Cork another visit

Room Tip: Our family room was spacious and comfortable
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ManagerCIAH01, General Manager at Cork International Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear 88molly,

I was delighted to see that you and your family had such a fabulous stay with us. I was especially pleased to see that you were able to avail of many of our facilities, from our Cloud 9 cinema room to breakfast in the Strata Restaurant. Our unique décor is a huge hit with all of our guests.

The New Yorker Bar where you dined is both our Bar and Bistro. Currently our restaurant is only open in the mornings for breakfast due to the popularity of The New Yorker dining experience. We do aim to offer value menus and packages inclusive of dinner to make it more attractive to families on all budgets. We do feel our menu is competitively priced in comparison to other 4-star hotels and restaurants in the vicinity but are happy to take your feedback on board and see if there are things we can approve on. We are delighted that you enjoyed your overall experience. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Cork.