“dreadful avoid !!”

Ranked #52 of 58 Cork B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“dreadful avoid !!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Dear god where do I start total bloody nightmare !!

I had the misfortune to stay in this dreadful place the on the 14th of November 2012 . I was in Cork to attend an annual conference held every year in University College Cork !! I had booked another B%B but shortly before I arrived I was informed that our usual B&B was over booked and that a few of our group would be relocated to another just a short distance up the road little did I know to the B&B from hell !!

It is smelly old dirty dilapidated and neglected the bathroom ceiling was covered in mould . I slept on top of the bed as i was afraid to ever think of what was living in the mattress !! Nothing worked the telly had no signal the hairdryer died ( thankfully i brought my own ) the shower was held in place by a nail !! Dirty stained cups a few tea bags as for breakfast well I had an egg as it came out of a shell !!!

I would not recommend this dump to anyone I had the misfortune to stay here for one night I left feeling like I should be wearing a sign saying unclean this PLACE is vile !! It really should be closed as down the owners are not interested in providing even a basic clean service and are totally disinterested in the comfort and well being of their paying guests Anyway I won't be returning!!
Lastly a word of advice to other B&B owners they really should view and inspect any other premises they intend to refer guests onto ( due to overbooking ) before sending guests there as it does reflect badly on them for their poor choice !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank bernie b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I was travelling to Cork to do repeat exams and I was intending to stay for three days. When I arrived I was informed that my single room was not available. I was brought down the road to another B&B which I said to myself fine. I understand how these double bookings can occur as I have grown up in a B&B home. Seeing the other reviews here however I am beginning to see a trend.

Anyway upon my return the following night I entered my room. Mildew or mold on the ceiling...*shudder* 12 packs of sugar and one non descript teabag, an empty kettle, the bedside lamp fell apart when i touched it, the furniture looked as if it really had just been bought about 30 years ago and left that way, the bathroom smelled of...(dare I say something like this...) old person. BUT none of that was the worst thing.

Having my own B&B at home I decided to investigate the room a bit further...to my horror. I pulled the bed back from the window and the wall underneath the window where the bed had been against was COVERED in mold. I felt ill.

Anyway I won't be returning. I'm going to report this to failte Ireland because if people came to Ireland and saw this place they would be given a terrible impression of our country..which is the last thing we need in this economy.

Final worlds: Gross, lazy, selfish (for most likely turfing me down the street for getting a better price for the room, which you are NOT allowed to do)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
7 Thank enviroMENTAL

Travelers are raving about these Cork hotels

Yorkshire
Reviewed June 9, 2010

We had the misfortune to stay one night only in this hotel. It was booked by one of our family members over the internet. The picture looked as though it was a large house in its own grounds - clearly airbrushed as it was only a matter of 6 inches away from next door on either side. We did not even unpack without having a discussion regarding not staying any longer than necessary. We were asked not to use the en suite as it had supposedly just been grouted. This had clearly not been done by a professional. The kettle had to be stood on the floor to boil, there was no milk, only one cup, no teaspoon, no coffee. The table was actually a ledge on the wall. There was mould on the ceiling, in the bathroom, everywhere was dirty. The soap consisted of a battered plastic bottle. We were in a twin room and my brother -in-law and sister-in-law were in a second room, where you could hardly swing a cat. This was also a twin room with an en-suite, which consisted of a cupboard where no-one above 10 stone could have got in. We were to stay one week, but, needless to say, we made an excuse to have to leave and book in somewhere else where we felt much more comfortable. Breakfast was given to us, we were not asked what we wanted. We were absolutely disgusted with the whole place. Do not stay here it is not fit even for students let alone having a family holiday here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank disgruntled81
Tipperary
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I had actually booked this b&b for one night over a busy weekend period in Cork. I made the booking in good faith, obviously disclosing the DATE and day of the booking and the booking was taken. I then received a phone call from an extremely rude man who refrained from giving me his name saying he wanted to confirm that the booking was for two nights...when I said that it was just for one night he stated that they were refusing to honour the booking as it was a busy weekend and they only wanted two night stays, surely I could understand his position as a business man. Well and good but they took the booking, clearly in err of this policy and should have had the decency to honour it, as any business man would in the interests of promoting his businesses reputation and customer satisfaction. I'm just as relieved that the awful manner of this kip of a b&b was made evident before we set foot in it. A snapshot of all that went wrong with Irish tourism.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank NMK13
Dublin
Reviewed July 9, 2008

I have had the unfortunate experience of staying in this B&B twice!
The first time I didn't know it would be so bad. The second time, my friend booked our accomodation and I didn't ask where she had booked until the last minute and it was too late to change.

I don't know where to begin in listing the problems with this place!

The B&B itself is of a poor standard. I find it hard to believe that it is approved by Failte Ireland, as the sign outside says.

It clearly has not been decorated or modernised for about 15 to 20 years. Everything is flowery and frilly - curtains, duvet, pillowcases, bed throw - and not clean. Dusty and old. I did not feel comfortable in my bed as a result. The location is not good. They are almost the last B&B on Western Road, heading out of town. You pass many B&Bs on the way to this one. Too far. But yes it is cheap.

The first time I stayed, the owners were away, and a Spanish student was in charge. Our Irish breakfast was not satisfactory at all - one sausage and one egg - that's it! We were angry, but we knew it was not her fault, she should not have been left in charge.

The second time I stayed, I was given the exact same room again. However, I was horrified to find ants and flying queen ants in my en suite! In the shower, and up the walls. I brought this to their attention, and their solution was to hoover them up! However, more and more arrived. I closed the bathroom door and got ready to go out for a meal, and the ants crawled under and over the door into the bedroom. I told the owners about the problem. They bought a pesticide spray and sprayed it around the room while I was out. I refused to stay in the room with ants and pesticide spray. I shared a bed in another room with my friend and said I wouldn't pay for the room, in advance, before I went out for dinner. I found them unapologetic and were not eager to please me, as a paying guest. They were not impressed that I would not stay in the room and not pay.

We had planned to stay two nights and had booked two nights, but they "lost" our room for the second night and we were asked to leave. The owners arranged for us to stay in another B&B on the same road. Such a bad service. But in the end we were glad because the other B&B was lovely.

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.
I have nothing good to say about this B&B.

• Stayed June 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank minnyno
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 17, 2006

I booked this B&B for 4 nights during the Cork Film Festival following some deliberation ( which turned out to be justified).

The quote I received from Matt Foley via e mail was the lowest received for a single room (45 euro per night B&B). This was confirmed again by email. I asked him exactly where he was located on the Western Road once by email and once on the phone when I arrived and he stated ' the western end' I guessed it would be more than a 10 minute walk from city centre, and yes it certainly was - closer to 25.

On arrival at 11.30 a.m. the door was promptly opened by Mr Foley who held out his hand to me. Assuming that he was welcoming me to his humble abode.. but no ... he was simply going to take my case from me and he then stated 'we are not that friendly... ha ha'

He then proceeded to tell me that the single room I had booked was no longer available. He did however have a triple room (the best in the house) but obviously he would have to charge more. 5.50 per night more. Now I know that this is not a huge amount of money but I strongly object to be treated like that. A discussion then ensued, me stating that we had an agreement on the rate and him stating that I should understand that as a 'businessman' he has to charge more .. even though he agreed we did agree on 45 but now that room is not available. He then stated I wouldnt get a room anywhere in Cork this weekend for less than 60 euro and that he could easily get 80 or 90 euro for the 'best room in the house'... I asked Mr foley what had happened to the room between the time I booked it and that moment... he said he had a long stay person in it and they were not willing to move.

My protests were lost....I told him the reason I had booked his B&B at 45 was because of my very limited budget and now what was I to do having arrived at a busy time in Cork. He pointed out towards the street and said there were plenty of B&B's all along the street !

The room in question , the best in the house remember, was basically a double room with a double and a twin bed in it. The valance on the double bed was dirty, what served as a dressing table (or ledge) had long hairs on it, the coffee/tea making facilities consisted of a tiny kettle and 2 tea bags/instant coffee powder. The decor was pastel and flowery, but the worst of all was the tiny ensuite (god knows how the occupants would fare if he did have 3 staying in the room) where the toilet seat was quite obviously badly cracked and stained and the toiletries consisted of an old large bottle of Dunnes Stores handwash. This is a Failte Ireland property by the way.

I decided not to stay on the basis of him trying to pull this stunt! Happily I did find somewhere to stay for the four nights. I did pay more but could not have slept easily in that place.

14 Thank Ritabix