“Shandon Bells”

Ranked #41 of 58 Cork B&B and Inns
Dublin
“Shandon Bells”
Reviewed May 29, 2008

Very good option for either business or holiday. Room was clean and comfortable. Appreciated the central heating on a chilly May evening! Good breakfast selection - fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, eggs etc in addition to the usual traditional cooked breakfast. Hilary the owner is very friendly and obliging.
Very convenient location for the University and within walking distance of Cork City. Great vegetarian restaurant close by - Cafe Paradiso. Would stay here again, and have already recommended it to friends and colleagues.

• Liked — Friendly welcome, location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Dublin
Reviewed May 18, 2008

Very disappointing. I realise that the property is for sale, but even so ... In my room, there was no chair, there were cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, the wallpaper was peeling, and water sprayed from the inlet pipe every time I flushed the loo. My bed was not made up 2 days out of the 6, the wastebasket not emptied, neither the loo paper nor my used coffee cup were replaced, and the TV only made to work on the second day. And on one day there was mould on the bread at breakfast. Thoroughly unsatisfactory!

• Liked — Location / car parking facility
  • Disliked — Poor hygiene standards / poor service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
zoecork, owner at Shandon Bells, responded to this review, May 28, 2008
I would like to responed to the above comment.... unforuntely when this lady came to stay I was taken ill on the saturday and moved to hosipal on the sunday . I had just started a new member of staff and unfortuntely she was unsure of her duties as she only commenced work the previous monday.... I did ring daily to enquire was everything satisfactory with this lady .. to be told everything was fine.... if this lady had read my reviews before booking she would have seen that we are a very friendly and professional estabishment .
I am and always like to be here to meet and look after my guest myself. but its just misforunate that we sometime fall ill.

Travelers are raving about these Cork hotels

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed May 12, 2008

I stayed at the Shandon Bells for three nights in May and I had a wonderful stay.
The house is located on Western Road only a short walk (about 10 minutes) from the city centre. Private parking is provided. There’s room for several cars in the drive.
I stayed in a double room at the back of the house. The room wasn’t large but nicely decorated and furnished. It was comfortable and clean and it had a very nice view over the river. There were tea and coffee making facilities and a TV. The bathroom was quite large. There was a tub in the bathroom and I enjoyed a long hot bath after travelling down to Cork from Dublin on my first night. I had no problems whatsoever having showers in the tub. The towels were nice and fluffy.
Breakfast was served between 8 and 9.30 am. It was good and plentiful.
The best thing about Shandon Bells was the wonderful hospitality I received. The owners were warm and welcoming. Hilary who runs the guesthouse took the time to chat whenever we met and offered great advice and suggestions on where to go and what to do.
I don’t know what made the members who wrote the last two reviews feel so dissatisfied with the accommodation and the service. It is true that the guesthouse is for sale but that doesn’t mean that nobody cares about the business any longer. Everyone I met while I was staying there was extremely friendly and helpful. I was greeted by the owners’ daughter when I arrived. She showed me to my room, made sure I had everything I needed and answered my questions in a very friendly way. I broke the key trying to unlock my door when I returned to the house a few hours later. Although the family were just finishing dinner the owner went to fix the lock immediately. He returned less than five minutes later and handed me a new key. I was assured that it was no problem at all. Hilary is just great and is dedicated to the guesthouse. She does a wonderful job.
There might be less expensive b&bs and guesthouses in Cork but I didn’t think Shandon Bells was overly expensive at 85 € for two people staying in a double room. It’s about the same rate I got in Dublin and Killarney.
Overall I loved Cork and the Shandon Bells. I would recommend it and I look forward to returning.

• Liked — The great hospitality I recieved
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
nottingham
Reviewed April 14, 2008

Really disappointed. Dirty crockery in the rooms, threadbare towels, half used bottles of shampoo and no light bulbs in the bedroom. Did complain and the host was very apologetic and rectified the problems but I still feel it was far too over priced for a night. For 85 euros I was expecting more.

Breakfast was fine , but the meat was of a low quality. The property is up for sale and it just appears that perhaps standards have slipped.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank clareyhNottingham
NY NY USA
Reviewed April 6, 2008

First off, the property is for sale. The staff was nice, but with absent management and much better B&B's in Ireland we expected more. We were traveling as two adults a teen and a senior. Asked for two rooms and wound up with one (the single) on the totally opposite end of the building. With numerous up and down steps (the building is laid out strangely to say the least), we wound up putting Grandma with us and our teen off in the distance only to discover that there were no less than 3 empty rooms closer together. Old neighborhood, old house and not in great repair. Cork not a great place to begin with..suggest you stay in Blarney instead.

• Liked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London Bridge
Reviewed March 28, 2008

My Spanish girlfriend was on a two week visit to see me in London & I wanted to take her away for the weekend.
After finding reasonable flights to Cork, we needed somewhere to stay. Internet searching led me to the Shandon Bells b&b.
Mainly for location (5 minute walk to the Centre).
Here you will find the lovely Hilary.
After booking our accomodation via their website, I was contacted immediately for details of our flight arrival, which was
7.30 in the morning.
Being a b&b, the flexibility of check-in was great, as we arrived there at about 8.30 and were able to get a couple of hours of much needed sleep before seeing Cork.
It was good staying in a room with a homely feel instead of the usual hotels that offer * to ***** accomodation/service.
The personal service we received at breakfast & during our stay is what you would expect when visiting "home". With local parks, the railway station & airport not too far, the Shandon will again be visited by Michael from London Bridge & Marta from Madrid.

• Liked — The personal touch.
  • Disliked — The loud tv.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
connecticut
Reviewed November 27, 2007

My teenage daughter and I stayed at Shandon Bells for 3 nights in November. We were very pleased with the hands on service. The owner and staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room was large, clean and the location was convenient while visiting my other daughter at Cork University which is across the street from Shandon Bells.

Stayed November 2007