“Great hospitality”

and 1 more site!
Shandon Bells
Ranked #37 of 59 Cork B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 12, 2008

I stayed at the Shandon Bells for three nights in May and I had a wonderful stay.
The house is located on Western Road only a short walk (about 10 minutes) from the city centre. Private parking is provided. There’s room for several cars in the drive.
I stayed in a double room at the back of the house. The room wasn’t large but nicely decorated and furnished. It was comfortable and clean and it had a very nice view over the river. There were tea and coffee making facilities and a TV. The bathroom was quite large. There was a tub in the bathroom and I enjoyed a long hot bath after travelling down to Cork from Dublin on my first night. I had no problems whatsoever having showers in the tub. The towels were nice and fluffy.
Breakfast was served between 8 and 9.30 am. It was good and plentiful.
The best thing about Shandon Bells was the wonderful hospitality I received. The owners were warm and welcoming. Hilary who runs the guesthouse took the time to chat whenever we met and offered great advice and suggestions on where to go and what to do.
I don’t know what made the members who wrote the last two reviews feel so dissatisfied with the accommodation and the service. It is true that the guesthouse is for sale but that doesn’t mean that nobody cares about the business any longer. Everyone I met while I was staying there was extremely friendly and helpful. I was greeted by the owners’ daughter when I arrived. She showed me to my room, made sure I had everything I needed and answered my questions in a very friendly way. I broke the key trying to unlock my door when I returned to the house a few hours later. Although the family were just finishing dinner the owner went to fix the lock immediately. He returned less than five minutes later and handed me a new key. I was assured that it was no problem at all. Hilary is just great and is dedicated to the guesthouse. She does a wonderful job.
There might be less expensive b&bs and guesthouses in Cork but I didn’t think Shandon Bells was overly expensive at 85 € for two people staying in a double room. It’s about the same rate I got in Dublin and Killarney.
Overall I loved Cork and the Shandon Bells. I would recommend it and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo

Reviewed April 14, 2008

Really disappointed. Dirty crockery in the rooms, threadbare towels, half used bottles of shampoo and no light bulbs in the bedroom. Did complain and the host was very apologetic and rectified the problems but I still feel it was far too over priced for a night. For 85 euros I was expecting more.

Breakfast was fine , but the meat was of a low quality. The property is up for sale and it just appears that perhaps standards have slipped.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank clareyhNottingham
Reviewed April 6, 2008

First off, the property is for sale. The staff was nice, but with absent management and much better B&B's in Ireland we expected more. We were traveling as two adults a teen and a senior. Asked for two rooms and wound up with one (the single) on the totally opposite end of the building. With numerous up and down steps (the building is laid out strangely to say the least), we wound up putting Grandma with us and our teen off in the distance only to discover that there were no less than 3 empty rooms closer together. Old neighborhood, old house and not in great repair. Cork not a great place to begin with..suggest you stay in Blarney instead.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 28, 2008

My Spanish girlfriend was on a two week visit to see me in London & I wanted to take her away for the weekend.
After finding reasonable flights to Cork, we needed somewhere to stay. Internet searching led me to the Shandon Bells b&b.
Mainly for location (5 minute walk to the Centre).
Here you will find the lovely Hilary.
After booking our accomodation via their website, I was contacted immediately for details of our flight arrival, which was
7.30 in the morning.
Being a b&b, the flexibility of check-in was great, as we arrived there at about 8.30 and were able to get a couple of hours of much needed sleep before seeing Cork.
It was good staying in a room with a homely feel instead of the usual hotels that offer * to ***** accomodation/service.
The personal service we received at breakfast & during our stay is what you would expect when visiting "home". With local parks, the railway station & airport not too far, the Shandon will again be visited by Michael from London Bridge & Marta from Madrid.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 27, 2007

My teenage daughter and I stayed at Shandon Bells for 3 nights in November. We were very pleased with the hands on service. The owner and staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room was large, clean and the location was convenient while visiting my other daughter at Cork University which is across the street from Shandon Bells.

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed August 30, 2007

The Shandon Bells Guest House is a lovely bed and breakfast owned and operated by Hilary and Malachy Farren. It is located on the Western Road, a main east-west street on the south side of Cork. It is directly across the street from the entrance to University College Cork. I just spent four days and nights at the Shandon Bells and was warmly welcomed by Hilary and her kind staff. Rooms are cosy, quiet, and well appointed, each with a television and full bathroom. Breakfasts each morning are marvelous, nourishing, plentiful, and cooked to order. Guests come from all parts of the world and are treated like family. Shandon Bells is well within walking distance of Center City Cork and the bus station and very convenient to UCC where my daughter is beginning a year of study. Hilary was instantly helpful to us in receiving luggage lost by the airlines and shipped to Cork, in guiding us to our destinations within the city, and in opening her home to my daughter through the course of the school year. These are kind, generous people who do everything within their means to help each traveler who enters their home. I am returniing to Cork in April for an extended visit and will stay once again at Shandon Bells. I encourage all who read this to do the same. You will understand the meaning of hospitality if you do.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank mektra
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Date: 21 Aug 2007
Reviewer: Maire

Excellent B and B. Great location - just outside the gates of UCC and close to town. Within walking distance of lots of nice pubs and restaurants. Car parking available and bus stop nearby if needed. My room was very comfortable and I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the B and B throughout. Breakfast was lovely - great choice and generous size portions. Hilary and staff were very friendly. This is definitely one of the best B and Bs I have stayed in and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo