Acton Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 59 Cork B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed in Acton Lodge for two nights, a couple of weeks ago. I was met by the lovely landlady Una and from start to finish, was treated wonderfully.
The room was large and spotless. The adjacent bathroom was clean and roomy. The towels and bed linen were sparkling.
I was not hugely familiar with that part of the city. Una directed me how to get into the centre. It was a short walk. I got a cab back in the evenings and it was inexpensive. Easy both ways.
The breakfasts were delicious and there were great options on the menu.
I would highly recommend any friend (or reader) to stay here and next time I go to Cork, I shall be booking a room.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 10, 2012

While on my first trip to Ireland, this was my priciest lodging, as I am a budget traveler. It was however, also my posh-est, in terms of room, breakfast, and hospitality. Una and Dominic, my hosts, were very gracious, possessed of a certain elegance, and yet had a sense of humor about the Corkonian self-image (Cork is very stylish and "hip" and knows it).

Really everything was just terrific here, in my opinion--room, cleanliness, service, comfort. I would especially point out the breakfast (French-pressed coffee and homemade mini-scones, included), and the breakfast-time chats with the hosts. All just lovely.

It was a nice, easy walk to the city center, along the periphery of the university (or along the river), with a few cafes and take-away places along the route. If I make it back to Cork in the next few years, I'll probably stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I recently stayed two nights in this B&B and would really recommend it ! The rooms while basic were comfortable and clean. The breakfasts on both mornings were ample and I loved the hot stewed fruit with Greek yogurt as an alternative to the offered traditional fry up. The hostess was really friendly and accommodating . It's very close to the centre of cork and parking is secure.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2012

While visiting Ireland last month, my friend and I spent the majority of our time in Cork and stayed at this wonderful B & B Acton Lodge. We were presented with the most friendly atmosphere from the owners and found they had plenty of time to mingle with the guests including ourselves and have a good old fashion chin wag. The facilities were excellent, clean and very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and they were very quick to serve up a lovely hot brekkie.
The lodge provide rooms in the front and back lodge with access via a back gate convenient to those who may be out in the evening and don't want to wake the sleeping residents at the lodge. The kitchen facilities are brilliant along with all the comforts of home, lounges, wifi and TV.
I also loved the location of the lodge, there is a huge strip of B & B's in this area but I love that it was only a 15 minute walk from city centre and shops and close to the university yet still slightly away from the hustle and bustle of the uni lodges and the college itself. It is very conveniently located. I'm so looking forward to returning to Ireland in January and certainly will be booking again upon return.

Thank you Una and Dominic for being so lovely and friendly. Cheers Mandy & Simon

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We recently stayed at Acton Lodge, and found it to have lovely clean rooms and a nice breakfast (although hard eggs two days in a row was disappointing!). The hot water took a long time to warm up, so we were waiting quite a while to have our shower. The persona of the hostess was nice enough, however it felt as though she was watching over our shoulders the entire time which made our two day stay a little uncomfortable. It is about a 20-30min walk into the city centre, but this was no problem for us. Parking was secure and safe. It would have benefited from tea and coffee making facilities.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A D
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I would highly recommend Acton Lodge to anyone. The owners were extremely accommodating and friendly. My 2 friends and I stayed there for 2 nights during the Jazz weekend and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast each morning was delicious and plenty of it. Acton Lodge is very central and is walking distance of pubs, restaurants and bars. A very pleasurable stay and great value for money!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and have returned here a number of times and every time we are extended a proper Irish welcome. We have stayed in 3 of the rooms and found them all very nice. Our friends stayed in the house at the end of the garden with a large group and loved it. The location is perfect for us. Fitzgeralds park is behind the house for walks along the river and the town centre is only 10-15 mins walk. As many here have already said the breakfast is superb and I even managed to persuade them to give me the soda bread recipe last time!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family