“Welcome Home!”
Review of Fernroyd House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cork
Fernroyd House B&B
Ranked #1 of 60 Cork B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at this lovely charming B&B from 13-15 November 2012. I had been a delegate at a conference at UCC, which is just across the street. It was important to me that I was in a place that was not only comfortable, but also gave me a feeling of being looked after while travelling alone. For me, its not just important that the B&B is well looked after, and maintained. It is also important that the owner is seen to be "involved" and caring about the entire experience from beginning to end, throughout. And that is just what I felt. Tony and Avril were very very good in ensuring my comfort while I was there, offering advice and suggestions when I asked for it, and really making me feel welcome, which was the most important of all. I felt they genuinely were interested in my experience, and really cared about how I got on.

The B&B itself is spot on, very clean, well presented, well appointed, quiet, etc. The extra little things made a lot of difference to me. For example, a fresh water cooler was placed outside in the hallway, so I could fill my water bottle with fresh drinking water whenever I needed it. When you are travelling it is so easy to become dehydrated with drinking tea all day long in meetings, etc. So replenishing my water needs was paramount to functioning, and overall feeling well throughout my time at the conference. The breakfast menu itself was amazing. I have not seen this before. One could almost extend their stay just to try out the next item on the menu, day after day! The food was brilliant, plentiful, hot, and exactly what I needed. The warmth and comfort of the room ensured I slept well both nights. I cannot find any faults with this B&B, only great remarks. I am quite sure I will be back with Tony and Avril again, and really looking forward to it. Couldn't recommend this B&B any higher. Now I know why it is ranked number one in Cork for B&B's. Thanks to Trip Advisor for creating this ranking system, it saved my experience because other conference delegates had horror stories about their B&B experiences and hated me for boasting everyday about how great "my place" was (but they gladly took the name and number for next year!)

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1 which was opposite the front door, and never heard anyone. great room, will ask f...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Luzern2008

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Tony and Avril were awesome hosts, and the B&B is beautifully well-kept and pretty! As soon as I showed up Tony offered me tea and scones, and then went on to show me on a map all that I would need to know to make my way about Cork in the way of dining, sight-seeing, bus and train stations, etc. Very helpful. And then the next morning, I got fed a sumptuous breakfast. I had to leave a little early in the mornings to catch a bus and they accommodated me at the breakfast table half an hour before breakfast time! There was someone else at the tables too who had to catch an early train. All in all, I have stayed at beautiful B&Bs before, but it was Tony and Avril's warmth and genuineness that made this a memorable and special stay. They have invited me to come back with my wife the next time I'm at Cork and, in fact, I look forward to that very much. I very highly recommend them.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I were touring Ireland along with another couple and stayed three nights at the Fernroyd House B&B in early September. The B&B is adjacent to the University College Cork which makes it convenient to find. Better yet, the residence is situated off the major street which ensured no road noise to interrupt our sleep. The room was very clean and the bed provided a very restful sleep. The B&B is about 10-15 minutes’ walk from the center of Cork although we found a parking garage near the English Market in the city center that was very reasonable.

Tony and his wife Avril were very attentive hosts and Tony was always eager to suggest local sights, pubs and restaurants. His suggestions regarding local and regional sights to visit were particularly helpful.

Breakfast was always excellent and the scones were especially noteworthy. We particularly enjoyed the traditional Irish breakfast. Coffee, which is served in a French Press, was superb.

A couple terrific recommendations from Tony included the Long Valley Pub on 10 Winthrop Street which had great character and charm not to mention the Irish music. On our first evening he recommended the Strasbourg Goose for dinner. Tony called ahead to make a reservation and we were warmly greeted by the proprietor upon our arrival. The food and service was outstanding.

If you are planning to visit Cork, we highly recommend the Fernroyd B&B.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark B
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife surprised me with a trip to Ireland for my 40th birthday, and the Fernroyd House was our first stop on the beautiful Emerald Isle. We were greeted with freshly pressed coffee and scones. The proprietor, Tony, sat down with us and told us all about the history of Cork, where to go, and what to do and see while we were there. Tony and his lovely wife and family were amazing hosts. They serve an outstanding breakfast (especially Avril's scones, yum!!!) and have quaint, cozy quarters. My only complaint is that I wish we would have spent our entire time in Ireland with Tony and Avril at their wonderful establishment. If we ever make back to Cork we would never stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jarrett W
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Avril and Tony's welcome was among the warmest we had in Ireland (no to mention Chip!) The room was comfortable, breakfast fantastic (with scones right out of oven) and we really appreciated their help and advice about restaurants or things to visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank crapaudine
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I spent one night at Fenroyd B&B in September and we were very glad with our choice! Tony was extremely welcoming from the moment we arrived. We were placed in a nice, private room in the annex house with a lovely view of the backyard garden. There was a full kitchen and lounge area on the main floor of the annex house. We got some great recommendations from Tony on sites and food. The breakfast in the morning was superb. As everyone writes about, their scones were delicious and we enjoyed eggs and french toast. The best part was the warm, welcoming hospitality from Tony. He gave us so much information for the rest of our trip and we really appreciated the time he took to spend with each guest to make sure they would have a wonderful experience! Thank you for a lovely stay!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jkjetsetters
Reviewed October 6, 2012

A truly lovely b+b. Such welcoming service from the hosts Avril and Tony. Myself and my husband arrived on a wet cold early morning and was given a full Irish breakfast complimentary. The (bed) room itself was spacious, elegant and had everything you would need in there (Tv, haurdryer, tea and coffee making facilities) with comfortable beds. The location of the b+b is situated just off the city centre - a 10 minute stroll. All in all a perfect retreat. Many thanks to Avril and Tony!!!

• Stayed: September 2012