“Nice B&B”
Review of Fernroyd House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cork
Fernroyd House B&B
Ranked #1 of 60 Cork B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 16, 2007

2nd place to stay on our trip to Ireland and a good budget choice. Wouldnt be as gone on it as others, but it did a decent enough breakfast, but the parking is a small problem. Wife did not like the dog, nothing personal, perhaps it should not be running around as much as it does as not everybody is an animal lover. Quite central to all locations within the city.

• Stayed: August 2007
3  Thank martyboytwo
There are newer reviews for Fernroyd House B&B

Reviewed September 29, 2007

Everything has aready been said about this B & B so I can only reiterate it. We had the best two day stay with Tony and Avril - like going home to family! The breakfast was wonderful I'm just glad the airlines don't weigh us as well as the luggage as we would have been over the limit having sampled Avril's scones!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 22, 2007

We were lucky enough to stay at Fernroyd House for 2 nights earlier in September and cannot rate the place highly enough. We`d had a stressful drive getting to Cork (mainly due to some erratic road signs!) but could not have wished for a nicer destination. A lot has been said already on this site about the kindness and consideration of Tony and Avril, but really, they made our holiday. On a trip that included nights in 5 star hotels, we would have been more than happy to spend our fortnight at Fernroyd! We had a lovely, immaculate room in the new annex building, where we had the run of the house- the lounge, with it`s plasma tv and kitchen facilities were great and we were able to relax before our evenings out in Cork. The B&B is a nice ten minutes walk into the city centre and we were pleasantly suprised with how friendly and fun Cork was. Tony had great recommendations for restaurants and bars and gave us a great route to take to our next destination. You had a feeling here that your hosts took a real interest in you and were bothered about what you got out of your stay (not everywhere does, believe us). The breakfase was huge and varied too, Avrils` scones were scrumptious! We were thinking of mailing Tony and Avril when we got home to thank them for their hospitality, but thought it`d be better to share our experience with Tripadvisor readers- if you`re umming and ahhing over where to stay in Cork- don`t hesitate-book Fernroyd now!
Kev and Gillian

2  Thank KFlyLiverpool
Reviewed September 22, 2007

Very friendly, great location, rooms and breakfast. Tony and Avril could not do enough to make us feel welcome and comfortable

Reviewed September 19, 2007

Having looked at Trip Advisor (as you do..) for a B&B in Cork, I contacted the Fernroyd as it had favourable reviews.
Here's another one.
We had to change our arrangements, and that led to our pitching up in Cork a couple of days early. The Lyonses couldn't fit us in, but tried to find us an alternative out towards Kinsale - to no avail. They advised us to go to west County Cork and see what we could find, which we did - with great success. On getting back to the Fernroyd on our 'proper' day, Tony & Avril Lyons continued the superb treatment that they first gave us, and it was soon apparent that this is the way they treat all their guests. We had a large room in their annex house, a few doors from the original Fernroyd. It was squeaky clean, as was the communal lounge/kitchen area. We made good use of the lounge, and it was not unlike having rented a flat, as hardly any of the other guests used it. The bed was comfortable, the shower large, and it didn't matter that we had to walk along to the 'old' house for breakfast - it merely seemed to heighten the anticipation!
Breakfast was excellent every time, with plenty of choices. Tony & Avril are mines of information, and always seem to have time to answer daft questions.
'O Donovan Rossa Road is a ten-minute stroll from Cork city centre, so we walked in & out. Its a cul-de-sac, so there is little traffic, and not much noise. Its very close to the University College, and not difficult to find. Tony's advice to go to West Cork was spot on as its a lovely part of the country, & - for our money - a lot prettier than the much-touted Ring of Kerry. The only member of the household who treated us with disdain was Chip, but he's a very self-assured dog who's seen it all before.
We will be very happy to go back again, and we unreservedly recommend the Fernroyd to anyone else travelling to Cork & looking for a real Irish welcome.

2  Thank Acker
Reviewed September 9, 2007

There are loads of B&Bs in Cork and I have stayed at a few, plus several hotels in Cork as I travel over from Twickenham, England to support Munster on a regular basis.
I decided to look for something better than the average cheapo B&B but less costly than a hotel. Tripadviser reviews made me contact Avril and Tony. If only I'd found them 2 years ago!
I booked for last Friday evening with provisional bookings for several other dates running up to Christmas for Munster's home ML games.
At the last minute I had to change my flight in which meant I would arrive in Cork at 8, having left home at 3.50 am!!
"Come straight to us," they said, " and you can have breakfast with us and we'll get you into your room as soon as we can so you catch up with your sleep." This they did.

After being there for less than 36 hours I feel like part of the family. They are some of the best ambassadors for Ireland I have ever met, which is saying something!!

I have confirmed all my other bookings as I'm about to spread the word around the travelling rugby community and want to ensure I have my place there.
I will NOT be staying anywhere else in Cork now unless I absolutely have to.

To summarise:-
Welcome..... amazing
Service.....outstanding
Food....Irish cooking at its very best
Room....clean, comfortable, everything you could need (including wash flannel!)
Location.....quiet, safe spot only a short walk from the buzz of Cork centre.

They even arranged for the sun to shine!!!

I think of Ireland as heaven on earth so Fernroyd House must be God's own quarters .

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MunsterBabs
Reviewed September 7, 2007

Stayed 3 nights at the Fernroyd House. Arrived in Cork train station, took the bus, and a short walk gets you there. Right across from the University College Cork.

The reviews are all correct- Tony and Avril are both very nice and very helpful. Their dog Chippie is sooooo cute. He's sort of in charge of this block and he guards it. When it's uneventful, he just sort of lazy around, but he'll be all hyper when the neighborhood cat or dog shows up on his turf!

The room we stayed in is actually a few houses down from the main house. The room is nicely decorated, clean, comfy. Has the view of the garden in the back. Nothing to complain about the room at all. One thing I do have to say is that, since it is essentially a house, you pretty much hear everything that goes on in the room next door... yes, nothing you really want to know about at all.

The breakfast is awesome. You have a selection of cereral, yogurt, juice, AND you can order from the menu for a hot breakfast. Full irish, scramble eggs, whatever. Their full irish is actually pretty good - pretty much exactly the same but not as greasy as the english breakfast.

Location is good also - about 10 minute walk into town. If you have light luggage, taking a bus is fine. Should check out the UCC campus right across the street - it's pretty nice. Would definitely recommend a Ring of Kerry tour. It takes a whole day (like 12 hours), but if the weather is right (it was gorgeous weather), it's really scenic and worth it. Even better if your tour guide is as good as ours.

We just spent 2 weeks in Ireland and stayed in 5 different places, and Fernroyd House is on the top of our list for Ireland.

Stayed: August 2007