“With a Wedding Party - Was a great place to stay”
Review of The River Lee

The River Lee
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Stayed on the top floor (executive rooms). Extras include Nespresso machines - nice touch. Rooms and views were great. The leisure centre is excellent (although you have to go outside to access it). Location is ideals for City Shopping - about a 10 minute leisurely walk to the main centre. Food was only ok but everything else was perfect for all the guest in the wedding party.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
MichelleSpillane, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2010

Dear ThePokerkid,

I would like to thank you for staying with us at the River lee Hotel and for your wonderful comments about our hotel, location and bedrooms. It is great to receive such positive feedback from our customers.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon to the River Lee Hotel.

Kind Regards,

Ruairi O’Connor
The River Lee Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (3,688)

Reviewed October 4, 2010

Arrived at this hotel and had to wait 10 minutes to check in owing to the fact they had transposed my christain name and surname, innocent mistake but things did not improve. Room was only facilitated with enough towels for 1 person, despite our booking clearly being for 3, plus the fact they didn't bother putting a cot in the room for us which we had requested. Unable to swim in pool with my son as the hotel pool/gym is a public members pool/gym and under 16's not allowed to use this facility during peak hours. Hotel resturant is not open on a Monday - reason unknown and not notified on thier website, as you can imagine bar is busy with plenty of people politely accepting to share their table with strangers not something you would expect in a hotel of this 'standard'. Only positive thing was the staff in the bar area. Unbelievably the straw that broke the camels back was our bed. A matress to big for the bed frame itself, a duvet too big for the duvet cover but too small for the bed, an under sheet too small for the bed, and a bed sheet only just big enough for the bed that they couldn't be bothered to tuck in. Duty Manager re-making our bed at 2200 was not a highlight. If I was to rate this hotel it would be 2 star, and that would only be achieved thanks to the staff (reception excluded)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
RuairiOConnor, Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review following your stay with us in Cork. Following our discussion prior to your departure, i would again like to offer my sincere appologies for the lack of comfort experienced during this visit. Please be assured that corrective measures have already been added to all areas concerned.
kind regards and best wishes.
Ruairi O Connor,
General Manager.

Reviewed September 27, 2010

We stayed for a weekend (cheap Ryanair trip from the UK). Got there at about 11pm. Reception were charming and very helpful. Bar was going strong until at least 12.30 when we gave up and went to bed. Short walk to St Finbarrs Cathedral or into town centre, maybe 5 or 10 minutes. Nice outlook over the River Lee and rooms and beds were just fine with tea or coffee making facilities.

We only ate there for breakfast and really this was our only criticism as food tended to be dried up under lights and sausages are cheap and nasty and to be avoided. Would cost little to improve I suggest. Choice was fairly wide though and they tended to be sympathetic to late arrivals after the 11am watershed (not us I hasten to add!).

Had a pool and gym but this was next door rather than accessible internally from the hotel.

Easy access from airport which costs E16-18 by taxi or E3.50 each by express coach. Would stay here on our next trip to Cork.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
MichelleSpillane, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2010

Response

Dear pentangle99,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was delighted to read that
you enjoyed your stay and have to agree that the Hotel is indeed centrally
located and a good base for both Leisure and company guests. I have passed all
your feedback about the breakfast on to our Food and Beverage Manager and she
will fully investigate your feedback. I would like to assure you that this is not the
service standard we here at the river lee are known for and this should not occur again.

In regards to the pool and gym please be advised that you can access both
through the First floor of the hotel without leaving the building and I apologise if
this miscommunication caused you any inconvenience

I do hope to welcome you back to the River lee Hotel soon so you yourself can
see the positive results of your feedback.

A member of The Doyle Collection
Western Road

Reviewed September 26, 2010

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights with my mom and 15mth old baby. Its a fantastic hotel. Standard rooms are spacious enough since we had lots of bags, cot and buggy they upgraded us to an executive room free of charge!! Really clean rooms. Lovely food in the bar and restaurant for both breakfast and dinner. Used the hotel travel cot for the baby and it was very clean.

Spacious pool. Didnt get to see the gym. Free parking underground. Lovely spa - need to book treatments at least a day in advance.

Walking distance to the city (approx 5 mins). Drove to fota island (approx 20 min drive) also worth visiting!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

Dear KMH66,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am delighted to read
that you thought so highly of the hotel and wanted to share your positive
experience with others. I have passed all your feedback onto the all the staff and
management team as well

I do hope to see you back soon at the River lee hotel.

Reviewed September 24, 2010

I travelled to Cork on the train from Ennis and booked a room here. It was very clean and the staff were very professional. I am so glad I stayed here. 5 stars :) Excellent patio in the Weir Bistro and delicious Irish Coffees.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank irishcat68
MichelleSpillane, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2010

Dear Irishcat68,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted to see that you
thought so highly of the Hotel and out staff.

I do hope to see you back soon at the River lee hotel.

Kind Regards,

Ruairi O'Connor
ruairi_oconnor@doylecollection.com

Reviewed September 21, 2010

Stayed here in August for the second time & it was just as good as before. The location is great, a short stroll to the town centre. The rooms are immaculate & beds are very comfortable. The breakfast buffet provided is excellent & the staff are very attentive & polite, the bar staff were also very friendly. An excellent choice when visiting Cork in my opinion!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Dear Niamh-c24,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was delighted to read
that you enjoyed your stay and I have passed all your Feedback onto the
management and staff.

I do hope to welcome you back soon to the River Lee Hotel.

Best Regards,

Ruairi O'Connor

ruairi_oconnor@doylecollection.com

Reviewed September 20, 2010

We had a lovely one night stay in the hotel in September, daughter returning to UCC,so we decided to treat ourselves while helping her to move down. Paid 195 euros for bed and breakfast. The room itself was lovely, what a great bed! However - the view was of a WALL. If we looked to the extreme right, we could see the rubbish skips. Very very disappointed with this, as we don't often stay in hotels. In the restaurant, our waiter was very nice and very helpful, but the food.......very poor, pepper sauce like water, cold potatoes, stodgy risotto. We were offered replacements, but did not feel confident that the second attempt would be any better. Great variety on offer for breakfast, but the 'hot food' was barely warm and the mushrooms were actually cold. We will stay again, but request a room with a view next time, and book a restaurant in the city centre as opposed to eating in the hotel. Staff are lovely. Room was comfortable and clean, but severe lack of a view took the shine off somewhat. I know we didnt spend too much time in the room, but even to open the curtains in the morning, and find yourself looking at a WALL, very disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear REG1963,

Thank you for taking the time to post your Review on the River Lee Hotel. I was
disappointed to read that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I would
like to assure you that we take all feedback on board as this can only help us
improve our service for all our customers. I have passed all your comments on to
the staff and management team as well and our Food and beverage Manger and she is
investigating with her team the feedback about the food and the menu. Please be
advised that room allocation is done at reception on a first come basis and I do
apologise if the view gave you any discomfort it is not the level of service I wish
to provide.

I do hope to see you back soon at the River Lee Hotel so you yourself can see the
positive results of your feedback.

A member of The Doyle Collection