“Great Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Sligo, Ireland
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We stayed at this hotel recently with two small children. Very nice clean hotel. Staff were very friendly, hotel very clean. The kids loved the glass lifts. The food was very good and it is a short walk from the Centre of Cork. Leisure Centre was lovely and clean.
Hot towels on arrival, and complimentry paper morning and evening. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
OrlaOCallaghan, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, December 1, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your favorable review. We are very pleased to hear that yourand your family enjoyed your time in our Hotel. Should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind Regards,
Ruairi O'Connor
ruairi_oconnor@doylecollection.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 29, 2009

We stayed in the Jurys hotel for three nights. This hotel is lovely to stay in.When we checked in the staff were really nice. When we got to the room, it was really spacious, two double beds, bathroom with shower and bath. We called reception to get another bed because there were five of us.
On the first night we ordered Domino's Pizza to the hotel and just ate in the room on the first night because we were travelling most of the day.
They serve breakfast from 7.00 - 10.30 so we got up at around 9.00 and headed down to the restaurant. Very nicely laid out, they have everything from hot breakfast to cereals and the staff were really nice. On every floor beside the lifts they had ice machines so whenever you want ice for your drinks. The hotel has a conference room on the 1st floor where there are two computers that guests can use. There's also a executive lounge on the 5th floor.
On the first night we ate out in the city, the restaurant was closed because of the Jazz festival. We had a lovely meal in Gourmet Burger.
On the second night we ate in the restaurant, the staff were really nice, but some of the main courses weren't very good quality which was very disappointing but anyway.
The hotel has a pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and gym which you can get to by the 1st floor or go out the main exit and turn right.
As a day trip we went to a little town called Kinsale for lunch and it was very nice. We also went for a walk in Fitzgerald's park just down the road from the hotel. There's also a jail in the city that you you can have a tour around but we never got around to it.
I'd recommend this hotel for families and couples.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Birmingham U.K
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Despite the rain, the hotel proved a safe haven. Excellent facilities - loved the glass elevator. Staff were extremely attentive. One slight criticism would be the airport lounge feel of the restaurant / bar.Would definetly stay again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank hansardtony
Wallasey, England
Reviewed October 24, 2009

We recently enjoyed a 5 night stay at Jurys Cork Hotel and I could not find a fault with it. Booked via Hotels.com and got a very good rate and well below the rack rate. From the reception, the restaurant, the bar and our room, everything was first class. We were primarily on a golf stay and the hotel staff were very accommodating in arranging a 6 seater cab or minibus for each day to get to the golf course. The drivers were only too happy ot leave a mobile number and return to collect us after our rounds. We enjoyed a day out at Cork Races (it's actually at Mallow, about 20 miles out of Cork) but again one of our trusted taxi drivers took us there and returned to pick us up.
The rooms are spacious and well appointed and there is even a separate shower cubicle in the bathroom rather than one above the bath which is a much better scenario from someone that is well over 6' tall. The hotel is well positioned and a short five minute walk finds numerous pubs, bars and restaurants. A bit expensive but that is down to the pound/euro exchange rate and not an indictment on Cork itself.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank merseygolfnews
Kingswinford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2009

Jurys Hotel Western Road not to be confused with the harbourside Jurys, is a triumph of all a city hotel should be excellent service, ultra modern and spotlessly clean what more could you ask for (perhaps a better £ v Euro rate?) The cost for our one night for three adults sharing was Euro 129, this included an excellent buffet breakfast and free parking. (Drive past reception turn left and enter car park on right, retain tickets and present at reception for your free parking voucher)

Rooms are massive and contain two queen size doubles and still have acres of room to mill around, tea and coffee facilities, bar, safe, and are fully glass fronted above the river.
bathroom is equally impressive.

Cork is probably on the Monte Carlo scale for prices, so the 129 a night is a good rate and you get lots for it. Position is beautiful between the two rivers and you can sit and watch the water cascade over the weir as you have breakfast, only limitation for older or infirm people may be the distance from the city centre, it's about a ten minute walk (all flat)
When we return to Cork, this will be our first stop.

1 Thank j0hnhill
Leicestershire, UK
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Firstly I should state that I did not like Cork one bit and would not recommend it to a friend as a short-break destination - I wish I'd gone back to Galway or stayed in one of the towns or villages around Cork. I could have stayed in Leicester and had the same experience around the city as I did in Cork - not that there's anything wrong with this (I'm not under the illusion that Ireland runs it cities for the benefit of tourists, trad music bars on every corner, etc) but what I got was not what I was looking for as a tourist. The hotel itself was good - a mid-4 star quality, aesthetically very nice, good location just out of the CBD but within easy walking distance, nice breakfast, friendly and helpful staff, clean rooms and areas, extremely comfortable bed, Nespesso machine in room, good parking facilities, etc. As such, I would recommend this hotel to a business traveller. However, there were areas that I was less enthusiastic about - the lavatory didn't flush properly every time and the rooms had no form of toilet brush (I'll leave the effects to your imagination)); my bath had a hole in the resin, halway down the tub; our room faced an adjacent apartment building - not a problem as such, however the hotel have conveniently provided a roller blind to add privacy. However, a way to roll the blind up and down would have helped - as it stood, I had to grab the roller and start manipulating it up and down to change the blind height; the room was smaller than I would expect and the window space could be more ideally utilised as a balcony. Overall my partner and I discussed how we would rate this hotel and I have to say we agreed on a 7/10 - but the 3 points lost could not have been regained without adding some balconies, a few extra feet to the room and relocating the hotel out of Cork, so if you MUST head to Cork I wouldn't let this put you off. The facilities, appearance and service at the hotel are all very good - I just didn't like driving through Baltimore, Skibbereen, Innishannon, Cobh and Blarney realising that I should have stayed there rather than in Cork city.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
RuairiOConnor, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, October 22, 2009
Dear Guest,

thank you for your recent review, and thank you for your kind comments in relation to your stay at our hotel. I am sorry that Cork did not meet with expectations on this particular visit, and would hope that you could visit again during one of our many cultural or festive periods through the year.
please contact me directly at the hotel if i can be of any furhter assistance. best regards,
Ruairi O Connor, General Manager.
ruairi_oconnor@doylecollection.com
dublin
Reviewed October 17, 2009

I am only here in this hotel 3 hours so far and everything has been so good I feel I should be telling you all! It started with hot towels at reception after our long drive, then been given a complementry upgrade to an executive suite and then the view from the glass lifts. Really happy I have chosen this hotel for bringing my fiancee to for her birthday. Shes in the spa at the moment!!!! So far 5 star service. Dont have any doubts just book it.