“Nice modern hotel close to town”
Review of The River Lee

The River Lee
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
“Nice modern hotel close to town”
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed one night, a winter's night too. The hotel is well placed to walk to the main attractions of this lovely town. The bedrooms are spacious and well maintained . We found the staff to be very helpful. The only quibble was the standard hotel breakfast buffet. We were quite early but the food still had a tired, been sitting for a while feel.
We would go back but may decide to walk into town for breakfast next time.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Earthsounz
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear Earthsounz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts of your recent stay with us. I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay however I am very disappointed to see you did not enjoy our breakfast. We have a very special breakfast with a fabulous selection for guests to choose from with great quality and freshly made food but this must not have been the case with your breakfast. I have taken your comments and discussed them with our Executive Head Chef Shane and our Food & Beverage Manager Pierce to ensure this kind of breakfast is not served to our guests. I thank you for your feedback as it is a great tool for us to use should our standards fall a little and now we can ensure this is rectified.

I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.
Ruairi O'Connor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leeds, England
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Stayed here for two nights on business.

All the staff at the hotel were really friendly and willing to help.

Check in was very slick and I was in my room very quickly.

The room was quite large and had 2 double beds, with a wardrobe and safe. The bathroom was quite large, with a separate bath and shower.

The entire hotel was spotlessly clean.

We had one evening meal there, which was a bit more 'fine dining' than we wanted - that said it was good food. We saw some bar food which we'll try next time (we will be back!)

Breakfast was really very good - it had a full range of everything you could expect, and the quality was excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Joolsleeds
Dear Joolsleeds,

Many thanks for taking the time to share such lovely comments of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay. Our Weir Bistro is a fine dining restaurant with fantastic locally sourced and fresh dishes. Our Executive Head Chef Shane O'Sullivan and his team have devised a wonderful menu full of aromas, textures and mouth watering flavours.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Having booked tickets to see Katherine Jenkins in City Hall Cork we needed a bed for the night The River Lee exceeded all expectations in that it was once Jury's ! And had been rebuild unknown to us ! We had a lovely overnight in the spot where I'd spend many overnights in Jury's as airline crew ! This is a hotel is well worth a visit and it's location is charming by the river Lee The Rooms are very comfortable and spotless The Breakfast very good, with something to suit all tastes the staff are very friendly I will go back

1 Thank kelly21Dublin
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear Kelly21Dublin,

Thank you for sharing such lovely comments of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that we exceeded your expectations! We are in a great location here in the city only minutes walk to the heart of city and some of the wonderful attractions the city has to offer visitors!

I do hope I have the pleasure in welcoming you and your friends back to the city in the not too distant future!
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I've never stayed in this hotel, as I live in Cork, but I've eaten there and had meetings there frequently. I learned today, that this hotel will be providing Christmas dinners to the Cork Penny Dinners charity, and I just felt that they deserve recognition for this. They didn't seek publicity for this, they just did it, and for that we are lucky to have them. I for one will be recommending this hotel to my inbound business associates. Well done. Five stars for thinking of those least fortunate at this time of year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Diarmuid C
Dear Diarmuid C,

Wow what a lovely comment to receive. I am thrilled to see you come dine with us regularly and use the facilities! Cork Penny Dinners is a fantastic charity and we do our utmost to help out whenever we can. We have helped out with Christmas Dinner for the last number of years throughout what has been a very tough time but has been our pleasure to do & we look forward to working with them in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel in the future.
Northumberland
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Myself and a friend booked this hotel after looking on Trip Adviser.
We booked directly with the hotel and got a really good price.
The hotel was exactly as described and we couldn't have been happier.
It was clean and tidy, fantastic glass lifts with a view across the river.
The room was a really good size, 2 double beds a full sized bathroom with shower and bath.
Our only gripe was the key card which didn't always open the door first time and sometimes the lights just went off. No-one told us how the system worked and it didn't tell you anywhere in the information pack.
The breakfast was the best selection we have ever seen, all fresh and very tasty.
I would certainly stay here as my first choice if I visit Cork again.

Room Tip: We stayed at the front of the hotel on the 3rd Floor and it had a great view up the river
1 Thank HelenBlyth
Dear HelenBlyth,

I am thrilled to see you had a great stay with us. Our rooms have wonderful views of different areas of the city such as the UCC Gates, St Finbarrs Cathedral and of course over the river up to the North Side Hills. The rooms are a great size whether there are 1 or 3 people sharing rooms plenty of space!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We went to cork with a few friends for the night as we are all from cork but live in Dublin now and decided to go back to our home town.From the moment we entered the hotel we were greeted by a very friendly and helpful member of staff by the name of Kevin. Our rooms were bright and tastefully decorated with really comfortable beds. The location of this hotel is ideally situated as its within walking distance to the city centre. The leisure centre facilities were great. But best of all was the breakfast, I have to say it was probably the best breakfast for a four star hotel by a long shot... they had a great selection of fruits,cereals, hot and cold meats, yogurts, smoothie shots etc I really could go on! I had stayed in a 5 star hotel in Dublin the week before (wont mention any names!) but this hotel could teach them a thing or two. Even when we checked out they gave us bottled water which was a nice touch and again it was the same member of staff Kevin who had checked us in and couldn't have been more helpful. Our overall experience was a real positive one and we all said we would definitely be returning. Well done River Lee hotel from a very satisfied customer

1 Thank Corkonian71
Dear Corkonian 71,

Thank you for sharing such fabulous comments of your recent stay with us! Our Breakfast is one of the best in city with such an amazing array of dishes as you mentioned in your review! Kevin is a well treasured member of the team here at the hotel We have a very friendly and welcoming team here at the hotel and are more than willing to ensure every guest has a memorable and enjoyable stay with us. I have passed on all the comments to the team and they were thrilled to receive them especially Kevin!!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Listowel, Ireland
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We travelled to Cork as my father need an operation in CUH and decided to stay here for ease of visiting him. We stayed two nights and found everything about the hotel excellent. Parking was so easy. The meals we had were of a very high standard and the waiting staff were so attentive without being intrusive. I suffer from asthma and the use of shake and vac and air fresheners caused me a problem as soon as I mention this to the cleaning staff the matter was resolved. All the staff I met were exemplary. I cannot speak highly enough of all aspects of the service and would recommend the hotel highly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear JaneSheppard2013,

Thank you for taking the time to share such lovely comments of your recent stay here at the hotel. I am delighted to read you found the team here exemplary. We understand all guests are different and we do our utmost to ensure all guests have a comfortable stay with us. If one of our products is upsetting a guest then we will do what we can to rectify the issue. Our team are our best asset here at the hotel as they make sure all guests have individual moments of warmth and acknowledgement.

I do hope your father has made a full recovery and that I have the pleasure in welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the future.

Ruairi O'Connor,