“A step above!”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Manchester, New Hampshire
“A step above!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here one night, very friendly staff. They have a free car park under the hotel. The rooms were clean and they had nice beds. The room had free wifi and a pants press! The best part was the breakfast buffet! Amazing selection and you could order specialty eggs delivered to your table. Nice location too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Wendilyn
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Wendilynn,
I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us. Our Breakfast is one of the best in Cork City. Our Executive Head Chef Shane O'Sullivan and his team have devised an amazing array of wonderful culinary delights that are sure to help every guest get their day off to a great start. Our buffet consists of fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurts, pastries, a selection of juices and of course the wonderful hot buffet. Our friendly chefs are also on hand to make any other requests such as pancakes or perhaps an omelette!!
Our team here at the hotel is very Proud of the service we provide to guests. It is our main aim to ensure that all guests have a relaxing stay and as every guest is unique, we try to create individual moments of warmth and acknowledgement.
I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Why not keep in touch with us on Facebook where you will find great offers and competitions for the hotel!
Ruairi O'Connor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Park City, Utah
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This hotel is fine except for the following:
the location is a bit away from the city center and while I don't mind walking...the city center didn't look interesting and the walk looked boring. (ok...maybe I was tired....read on to see why....)
When we arrived at 4pm and our room was like an oven. There was a mini-heat wave in Ireland (July 9th) so you would think that someone would close the curtains in the room (with the expectation that we would check in and want to be comfortable in our room.) Instead we had to wait an eternity for the air conditioning to cool down our beautiful room that was like a greenhouse with large windows and lots of sunlight making the temperature unbearable. (The executive lounge was just as uncomfortable.) When we left our room to go to dinner....housekeeping turned the a/c off and consequently, we came back to a room that was uncomfortably hot AGAIN (not good when you want to go to go to sleep early). (I get that that the a/c shouldn't be on all day when the room is vacant...but we left the room at 6pm and returned at 8pm. Isn't that a little silly to turn off the a/c when we were out for dinner (given that the room was so hot when we arrived just 2 hours earlier at 4pm?) This infuriated me....as there was a heat wave in Cork!!!!! And this was not an anomaly, as the same thing happened in my friend's room (housekeeping turned off the a/c in her room also (while she was out for dinner with us.)
Front desk staff was very polite. The rooms are large, the beds and pillows were comfortable. The parking was somewhat easy (drive around the corner and take the elevator up into the hotel).
I would have liked advertising in the elevator to let me know that there was a restaurant and bar (with the hours open, a menu, a photo or two, etc.)
Dear Hotel Management of the River Lee Hotel: Don't make your guests work so hard to be comfortable. Help your guests want to stay in your hotel by posting information about your "hidden" bar and "hidden" restaurant (I had no idea you had a bar/restaurant in your hotel and I would have gladly had dinner and a drink if I had known.) Instead, we drove to Kinsale for dinner and we canceled our second night at your hotel in order to go to another city. (because your hotel just didn't seem "inviting".)
One more note: once the a/c got going it was ok...except for that "odd" warm time that happens in most hotels in the middle of the night when the a/c seems to stop working. Oh yes, my impressions of the room are of an executive room (larger room than most hotels).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MiepGies
Dear Lydjoseph,
Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel Cork.
I am sorry to read of your comments in relation to the air conditioning in your room. Unfortunately it does not work if there is no key in the key card slot as we here in the hotel are doing our utmost to reduce our carbon footprint. I have taken your comments and shared them with our team to ensure during the warm weather we ensure the air conditioning is left on in all rooms to help guests keep cool and comfortable in this lovely weather we are experiencing at the moment. I would be delighted to discuss this matter further if would like to contact me directly at r_oconnor@doylecollection.com
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Very nice hotel close to the centre of the city. With very friendly and polite staff. The room was very nice and the bed was comfortable. Had a small issue with our room when we checked in but it was fixed without any fuss or arguing. The receptionist was happy to recommend places to eat near the hotel and some good bars after she took time to talk to us and find out what we liked. This is a very good sign of a hotel not to have a default destination but try and suit what works for the guest

1 Thank mabel s
Dear Mabel S,
I am thrilled to see you enjoyed your stay with us. We are a mere 7 minute walk into the heart of Cork City Centre where you will find great shops, restaurants & bars. We are also within walking distance of many wonderful attractions Cork has to offer such as The Crawford Art Gallery, St. Finbarr's Cathedral and Cork Old City Gaol to name but a few. We are also within easy access to Blarney Castle, Kinsale & Cobh.
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Its fairly new, has everything you could ask for in a hotel, Good bed, great shower, nice facilities which are all clean and well maintained. That makes it a good hotel. What makes it a GREAT hotel is the quality of the staff especially in the front office. Deidre could not have been more welcoming on check in with a genuine caring and positive approach wanting to go several steps further with making arrangements for our stay in Cork as happy and smooth as possible. Stephanie was also fantastically helpful with advice how to get to a concert and the entire hotel experience was concluded with Samantha who checked us out of the hotel with the warm and friendly approach that we had come to expect.
If ever again in Cork or indeed any other place a Doyle hotel is I would definitely choose to stay.

Room Tip: Executive floor well worth it.
2 Thank MG_Eclipse_boy
Dear MG_Eclipse_Boy,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel Cork.
I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team here at the hotel is very Proud of the service we provide to guests. Our main aim here at the hotel is to ensure that all guests enjoy a luxurious and memorable stay whilst visiting Cork. I have passed on your lovely comments to Deirdre, Stefania, Samantha & all of the rest of the team and they were thrilled to receive them. All of our team members do their utmost to ensure every guests need is catered to and are a very friendly and helpful team.
Ayr, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is our third visit to the River Lee hotel in Cork and each visit continues to exceed expectations. We use the hotel as a base to attend the local Midsummer Festival activities and the Bantry Music Festival and to explore the city of Cork and the South West. Over a two week stay you become aware of any shortcomings and there were none. We must say that this is a unique comment for us in respect of hotels as inevitably there is something not quite right.

As our review shows we were completely satisfied with all aspects of our stay. Particular mention must be made of the hotel staff who at every level were courteous and intent on assisting in every way they could. If we were to identify one aspect of our stay which stood out we would choose the breakfasts. For sheer quality and quantity the produce and food on offer was in our experience unsurpassed. Free underground parking was a real bonus.

As is usual over a two week stay occasional problems arose with room facilities but these were corrected quickly and efficiently.

From the warm towels offered on our arrival to the chilled water provided for our return home the River Lee Hotel looked after us and provided us with the perfect base for our visit to south west Ireland. And yes we will be back again.

We are quite happy to be contacted re this review should it prove necessary.

Room Tip: 5th floor rooms allow free access to a large lounge area providing a large TV, complimentary drinks...
1 Thank IainMcKie
Dear IainMcKie,
Thank you for taking the time to share such wonderful comments in regards to your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel. It is great to read reviews from guests that stay frequently with us and for a couple of days as you get a great feel for the hotel and have the opportunity to experience the wonderful charm and service we provide to our guests.
Monaco di Baviera
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed two nights in June, with my family (wife and small daughter). Room was clean with confrotable beds, but so big, bathroom is ok but small and without a window.
Altogether our stay had some flaws that did not let us enjoy the experience.
We were may be unlucky but ...
We arrived and we discovered that air conditioning did not work in the room, It is usually not a problem in Ireland but past 9 days there were 25/27 degrees so room was quite hot.
We reported this to the reception (we were in the afternoon) and they promis to fix it. As we came back in the evening the problem was still there and no communication was sent to us.
We reported the problem again and they promised to investigate it but it was already SUnday evening so there was no way to call maintenance. We were not offered to change room although temperature was more than 28 degrees.
The day after (after the third report) we were told it was a more general problem that concerned some rooms in the floor and that it would have taken more than one day to have the broken part replaced. At this point they offered us to change room, but in the meanwhile the weather was much cooler and having to stay only one extra night we declined the offer.
We had similar problem with the safety box that wa not working (probably left closed by previous guest, that means staff did not check that everything is working before next guest)
Again the problem was fixed on Moday lunch time and not on the day of our arrival.
I hate open view elevator as I suffer from acrophobia and this hotel has two open view elevator and one closed one. Two times in our stay the closed one was out of order. Add to this a broken tile in the bathroom, only estethical impact but...
As you can read, all together not major problems but together with an unpleasant misunderstanding at the restaurant all condensed in two days, I was left with an impression of staff whoi is not really well driven to customer satisfaction. Again only my personal impression.
The hotel location is great for Cork along the river with a complementary underground parking where to leav the car to walk to the city center (10/15 minutes by feet)
I am not a fan of design hotel, but this was ok, I only missed drawers in the room.
Bathroom amenities were ok but nothing special, common areas are nice (Bar/Restauran/Lobby).
I did not visit the welness area, so i cannot comment on it.
Brefast was very average.
For what i have experienced i would probably not recommend this hotel

In short

pros
- location
- free parking
- clean rooms

Room Tip: Hoepfully was only my room with problems, in any case rooms with river view are nice nd with huge wi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Stefano6408,
I am disappointed to read of your experiences with the air conditioning unit in your room. I have taken your comments and shared them with our team to ensure should any instances like this happen in the future that they be fixed immediately or if not possible, an alternative room offered to our guests. I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to you and your family as a result in having the issue resolved during the recent spell of lovely warm weather in Cork. I would be grateful for you to contact me directly should you wish to discuss the matter further at r_oconnor@doylecollection.com. We here at the hotel strive to ensure that every guest has a memorable and luxurious stay and I do hope we have the opportunity to show this to you in the future.
Kindest Regards
Portlaoise, Ireland
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Extremely welcoming the moment we entered the hotel, with steaming hot towels to freshen up the hands. Receptionist was lovely and polite ...we had a one night stay for the Jessy J concert in the marquee and taxis were organised for us..room was lovely and spacious with a view of the river...underground parking was brilliant as it was only a few mins walk into the city....no need for the car...breakfast was pleasently laid out with a wide variety to choose from...on our departure the lovely receptionist had advised on a scenic route to the Blarney Stone/Castle as it was a must and printed out directions for us and gave us beverages for our journey home...she couldnt have done any more for us.....so helpfull......Thank You......will def revisit the River Lee Hotel again...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rachel o
Dear Rachel O,
Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent visit to The River Lee Hotel Cork.
I am thrilled to see you enjoyed your meal in the hotel. I am glad to see you enjoyed some of our key touches such has hot towel on arrival to freshen your hands and a lovely bottle of water to take with you on your journey home. We also offer all of our guests secure complimentary parking whilst staying in the hotel in our underground car park.