“Love the River Lee Hotel”
Review of The River Lee

The River Lee
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Can't fault the River Lee Hotel. We have been twice and absolutely love it. Lovely big rooms and great leisure facilities with pool. Food was great-unreal buffet breakfast and dinner is perfect. It's the ideal location for visiting Cork City.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely thoughts about your recent stay in The River Lee Hotel Cork
I am delighted to see that you have enjoyed your stay both times you have stayed with us. I have passed on your wonderful comments to our Head Chef Shane O'Sullivan and all of the rest of the team and they were delighted with the comments!
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to the hotel again in the near future.
Why not stay in touch with us on Facebook where will find great offers and competitions for the hotel.
Ruairi O'Connor

Write a ReviewReviews (3,654)

Reviewed January 29, 2013

My Girlfriend and I stayed at the River Lee in October 2012. We booked Cork as a birthday treat to visit the many associated landmarks of the Late Great guitarist Rory Gallagher.
the hotel is ideally situated 10 minutes walk from the City Centre, which is a perfect distance away from the noise of a Saturday night in Cork.
The Hotel itself is a Huge, It is very Modern with Steel and Glass everywhere. Huge glass elevators whisk you silently up to your floor. The huge reception is an architects dream, slick, corporate design is everywhere. If you live in a brand new huge city centre apartment with a footballer in the penthouse then this is the hotel for you.
I have slightly more bohemian taste and I would prefer to stay in a smaller location, with a bit more character. This hotel has absolutely no character. But it doesn't matter.
the best thing about this hotel was without a doubt - The Breakfast!
It was amazing! Everything you could ever wish for in a hotel breakfast, fresh eggs exactly how you like them, full cooked breakfast, pastry, fruit, porridge, home made jams, Fresh coffee! It was honestly the best breakfast I've ever had in a hotel.
The staff were so friendly too, ready to clear your table straight away, without being over attentive. Just wonderful. The room was lovely and clean, completely standard for a 4Star hotel but very good none the less.
the Bad -
I went to use the "Free" Gym facilities and was made to feel very out of place. The gym is a very posh place which happens to be part of the hotel. If you've ever walked into a posh bar or clothes shop and been made to feel completely uncomfortable, that's what happened in the gym. There was no concession made for being a hotel 'guest'. I did not like it at all.
In conclusion I would recommend this hotel to Anyone, ideally business travelers or family's. The breakfast is so good it would set anyone up for the day!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view!!! At first we got a view of a flat room at the back!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Rick A,
Thank you for taking the time to share your views of The River Lee Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay here with us while you were visiting Cork.
I was delighted to read your wonderful comments on our breakfast. We here at the hotel pride ourselves on setting all our guests up for a wonderful day with a full breakfast. There is such an amazing range available from fresh fruit, pastries, smoothies, fresh fish and of course the wonderful hot buffet.
I was however quite disappointed to read your comments on our gym. I have passed these onto the manager in the gym Noelle to ensure that all of our guests are made to feel at home while at the hotel.
I do hope I have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.
We love to hear when guests are coming to visit us again so why not stay in touch with us on Facebook where you will find great offers and competitions!

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife & I stayed for a weekend while I attended a meeting. I had difficulty getting through on the phone as the first two attempts to the main listed number got an automated response asking me to ring a room number. However, from then on we had no problem. All the staff, from Kevin at reception to Corkman Philip & Carlos from Barcelona in the restaurant, were most friendly and attentive. The rooms were quite comfortable though not huge and the lifts moved quickly. The carpark is quite crowded but we did manage to find a space each time. There was an extensive choixe for breakfast. Location is excellent with a 5 minute walk to the city centre and a similar distance from a relaxing walk around the grounds of the university.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Tadgh,
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review here on TripAdvisor.
Your comprehensive comments are appreciated and we are always thankful to receive the compliments. Our team is proud of the service and experience they provide to our guests. I have passed on your wonderful comments to Kevin, Philip and Carlos and they were thrilled they helped make your stay an enjoyable one.
We are in a great location just by the river. We are within walking distance of some amazing local tourist attractions such as Cork City Gaol, St. Finbarr's Cathedral and Crawford Art Gallery to name but a few. We are also only 7 minutes from St. Patrick's Street.
We love to hear from our guests so why not stay in touch on Facebook where you will find great deals & offers for the hotel.
Kindest Regards

Reviewed January 25, 2013

This hotel became a second home for my family during the month of November during my mums stay in The Bons Secours Hospital on Western Road. This is a 5-10 minute walk to the hotel and back. The hotel is great for anyone going to UCC, the hospital or a shopping trip... It is about 5-10 mins walk into town.
Hotel is lovely, staff are very friendly. Very welcoming on arrival and you get a hot towel to warm your hands on arrival. I was lucky to get lovely rooms on the higher floors with Lee view. In each room there are fab comfortable beds that you could stay in all day.Fridge in room that you can store milk etc. There is also a mini bar in the room. Top floor have a Nespresso machine with access to executive lounge.Other rooms have tea and coffee facilities.
Bathrooms are big with shower and bath. speakers in bathroom from tv so you dont miss anything!! Good choice of films and I got to see Ted before its DVD release.
We got breakfast in bed which was lovely and try chefs yougurts....FAB!!!
As I was in late from the hospital I used the room service menu a lot.....All options show calorie content that even Dr Ava would be impressed. Full menu till 10:30 and limited menu 24 hour....
Leisure and spa facilities also....
Would recomend to all!

Room Tip: Lee view, higher floors, 2 double beds if twin room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear Guest,
I was delighted to read such great comments about your recent stay here at The River Lee Hotel Cork. We are always so very grateful to read such wonderful reviews!
Thank you for the lovely comments on our breakfast. We have such a great selection from nuts and cereals, fresh fruits, smoothies and of course the hot buffet!
Thank you for the lovely comments on our Room Service. We try to keep the menu imaginative but also so tasty to ensure that all of our guests enjoy their dinner whether it is in the bar or restaurant or even your bedroom!!
I do hope we get the chance to welcome you and your family back to our hotel in the near future.
We love to hear when guests are coming back to stay with us so why not keep in touch with us on Facebook!
Kindest Regards

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Good location with plenty of underground parking. Within 10 mins walking distance of main shopping area and Fitzgerald Park. Lots of space and areas for informal meetings in the lobby. Rooms good size although some with showers only so if you want a full bath ask on checking in.Bar menu extensive and reasonably priced. Good breakfast buffet bar also.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the leisure centre as aerobic classes start at 7 am and music can be heard...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on Tripadvisor about your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel Cork.
I am delighted to see that you had a great stay with us. My apologies if you were disturbed by the music in the leisure centre. I have passed on your comments to the team there to ensure they keep the volume to a minimum.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great stay for business but if I'm cheecky... I enjoyed it privately as well ;-) Absolutely perfect reception and professional people throughout. One particular person to mention is Paul, teamleader in the bar area... One of the very few people I met in my professional career who really listens to his customers. Wow! Keep going! Also noticed a blond girl in the bar tonight switching on TV for another business customer without asking any questions and gave him a bart stool to sit on, just like a gentlewoman (female of gentleman?). Great staff and nothing is too much for them. I will tip them well because they were great and I've never felt such an urge to write other than tonight. Keep going all because the customer is really happy and hope you get to read this too, not just your managers!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Cinderella796

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review here on TripAdvisor.
Your comprehensive comments are appreciated and we are always thankful to receive the compliments. Our team is proud of the service and experience they provide to our guests. I have passed on your wonderful comments to all of the team and they were absolutely thrilled that they could help during your stay. I have passed on your comments to both Paul and Elvira and they were delighted to receive it.
I do hope I have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel in the not to distant future.
We would be delighted for you to join us on Facebook where you will find details of great deals and competitions!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have stayed in the River Lee Hotel on numerous occasions. Best Breakfast in Ireland! The food is always so fresh and hot no matter what time you arrive down and it offers a huge variety. Staff always so professional, friendly and helpful. Rooms fabulous. Always immaculately clean, airy and spacious. Looking forward to staying again soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bubba74

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful thoughts about your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel.
It is always a pleasure to read when a regular guest at the hotel shares their thoughts on our hotel. I am delighted to see that The River Lee Hotel is your preferred hotel to stay in whilst visiting Cork. I am delighted that we are meeting your expectations each time you stay with us and I look forward to maintaining our high standards throughout your future stays.
I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.