“Amazing- Offers the Best Breakfast in Ireland”
Review of The River Lee

The River Lee
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Amazing- Offers the Best Breakfast in Ireland”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have stayed in the River Lee Hotel on numerous occasions. Best Breakfast in Ireland! The food is always so fresh and hot no matter what time you arrive down and it offers a huge variety. Staff always so professional, friendly and helpful. Rooms fabulous. Always immaculately clean, airy and spacious. Looking forward to staying again soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bubba74
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful thoughts about your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel.
It is always a pleasure to read when a regular guest at the hotel shares their thoughts on our hotel. I am delighted to see that The River Lee Hotel is your preferred hotel to stay in whilst visiting Cork. I am delighted that we are meeting your expectations each time you stay with us and I look forward to maintaining our high standards throughout your future stays.
I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.
Kindest Regards,
Ruairi O'Connor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Second stay at River Lee Hotel Cork, this time with my husband and previous trip was 2 years previous with a group of friends. Hotel was just a great second time.
Breakfast is the best thing about this hotel, the range of food and quality is top class. Staff are excellent in the breakfast room, make sure you have all you need when you want it. Rooms are nice and comfortable. Newspaper delivered to your room in morning is a lovelyt touch, one that many hotels have stopped providing.
Out of all hotels we have stayed with in Ireland (between myself and my husband we stay/have stayed in many Irish hotels for work /leisure) we find the River Lee is one the best as it ticks all the boxes; great breakfast, friendly helpful staff and just nice distance from center of city/pubs/restaurants etc. and all for a good nightly rate. Small gripe is that were woken early (around 7.00am) in the morning by room service being delivered across the hall, could hear door knocking and loud voices "room service, room service".
The only big problem we had during our stay was due to our car (not hotel fault) It would not start, for no reason, a still unkown, and was stuck in the underground car park. Have to mention the ladies at reception who were very helpful and the bar man on duty that morning, the maintence man and another male member of staff did more than expected in assisting us. We eventually had to get towed from the hotel back down the country. A bad end to our fantastic stay but could have been a whole not worse if not for the helpful staff at the River Lee.

1 Thank GoldfishDublin
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review here on TripAdvisor.
Your comprehensive comments are appreciated and we are always thankful to receive the compliments. Our team is proud of the service and experience they provide to our guests. I have passed on your wonderful comments to all of the team and they were absolutely thrilled that they could help during your stay and also with your car.
Our breakfast here in the hotel is quite special as it boasts a huge variety from nuts and cereals to fresh fruit, smoothies and of course the wonderful hot buffet!! And if that isn't enough you can always try our made to order pancakes or perhaps an omelette!
I would be delighted to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.
Why not stay in touch with us on Facebook!! We love to hear when guests are coming to stay with us again.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Spent 2 nights at the River Lee hotel, during a snowy weekend in Cork. Location is great - just 10 min walk into the centre of town. Staff were friendly & helpful, but the best bit was the room. Large, spotlessly clean, and well equipped. There was a bay window giving a fine view across the river, and a bathroom with separate bath & shower. We declined the breakfast (after large dinners in nearby restaurants, we felt we could not do justice to the €23 buffet!!) , but the bar snacks were pretty good. There is free use of a very well equipped with gym, with 20m pool. Overall - highly recommended.

1 Thank TWinster13
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful thoughts on Tripadvisor about your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel Cork.
I am delighted to see that you had a great stay with us. Our rooms are quite comfortable with large Queen Size beds and very comfortable pillows.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.
Kindest Regards,
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed January 21, 2013

For the past 5 years, my girlfriend and I travel to Cork in January. Each year we stay in the River Lee. It is a testament to the hotel that each year we return and stay there. Loyal customers you might say but you would have difficulty in finding a hotel that equals the river lee. The location is A1. The Breakfast caters for everybody's needs. A cool relaxed bar area. The rooms are spacious, cosy and classy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Paul K.
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful views of The River Lee Hotel Cork.
I am thrilled to see that you enjoy staying with us while you visit Cork. Thank you for your fabulous comments about our hotel. Our breakfast here in the hotel is quite special as it boasts a huge variety from nuts and cereals to fresh fruit, smoothies and of course the wonderful hot buffet!!
I would be delighted to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 17, 2013

On my second visit to the River Lee Hotel I wanted to make sure that the enjoyable stay I had for one night a year ago was not just a randomly good experience. This time I stayed for two nights and really used the hotel facilities and came away not really wanting to leave, even though I was in town on business.
Sure it's a modern hotel and not exceptional as a physical building, but it is more than comfortable and the staff are really a shining example of properly trained hotel staff with a strong customer focussed attitude.
I had a very pleasant stay in a standard room at the River side of the hotel. Try a room on an upper floor as the view over the city is lovely and riverside rooms have a big bay window that adds light and a little more space.
The breakfast is one of the best I have had in a four star hotel. On one morning I had a late breakfast and another morning I was first into the room at 7.30 and there was very little difference in the quality of the buffet on the morning of my late breakfast by comparison to the early one. That's so often not the case elsewhere..
There is a small but adequate swimming pool, just as long as you don't have to share with more than a two or three others. There's an excellent gym, which is open to the public but that just means there's a good buzz to it and it was a fine place to work out with plenty of machines. And the bar area was lively both nights I was there. I didn't eat food apart from breakfast, but the bar menu looked very attractive and quite imaginitive.
The location is excellent, less than 10 minutes walk from Patrick Street in a very attractive part of town by the river (obviously) and three minutes walk from the university. Good parking with no problems finding a spot under the hotel, so if you are bringing in bags while its raining, no problem.
Also, there's free wifi throughout the hotel, something that should be standard in my view but often is not. And it is very good broadband.
Can't fault it. Highly recommended. It is now the only hotel I would think of staying in while in the city.
Pricewise, it was 103 euro each night for bed and breakfast. Good value for the quality of stay, even in January.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor overlooking the river.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
We were thrilled to read your lovely comments on The River Lee Hotel during your last stay in Cork. Your comprehensive comments are appreciated and we are always thankful to receive the compliments. Our team is proud of the service and experience they provide to our guests.
We are renowned here at the River Lee Hotel for our breakfast as we have quite a variety of fresh fruit, yoghurts, pastries and boasts a wide range of hot dishes for breakfast.
We do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.
We would love for you to keep in touch with us on Facebook where you will also find great offers and competitions!
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in September 2012 and it was wonderful. Received a warm, damp cloth on arrival to wipe my face and hands, which was a wonderful surprise and a touch of class. Had a gorgeous and very comfortable room with a huge double bed on the executive floor (well worth the extra few quid). Next time I'd ask not to have a room on the corner of the building as the window was much smaller than the panoramic ones in every other room on the corridor. Small as it was, the view was still a nice cityscape. The CD player/radio is good, though its a pity it doesn't have an MP3 player connection. No bedside sockets for charging phone while using it while lying on the bed and the sunken sockets in the desk don't give space for the lead to come out. Very fast broadband (both wired and wireless) in room and throughout the hotel. I'm not a coffee drinker but the Nespresso machine sure looked funky! Separate shower and bath was another luxury. The executive lounge has beautiful river views and free tea, coffee, water, juices and pastries 24 hours a day as well as sofas, a large tv and a selection of books about the local area. Great views from the glass-sided lobbies on each floor too. Lifts are keycard operated which is great for security peace of mind. Didn't have dinner in the restaurant but the breakfast was super with a great choice and nothing was too much trouble for the waiters. The NRG leisure centre was great with private multi-temperature showers and keycode lockers. Pool isn't huge but very modern looking with a good Jacuzzi and toddlers pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the executive floor and with a river view, it's well worth the money!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank donaloflynn
Dear Mr O'Flynn,
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review here on TripAdvisor.
I was delighted to see that you had a great time while staying with us during your recent trip to Cork. I was thrilled to see you enjoyed some of our key features in our hotel such as the hot towels on arrival to freshen you hands.
I was delighted to read that you were able to enjoy some of the key touches and guest elements that we have to offer such as the Nespresso Machines, Bathrobes & Slippers and also the Executive Lounge.
I would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back to hotel again in the near future.
We would be delighted for you to join us on Facebook where you will find details of great deals and competitions!
Limerick
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed here for my husband's birthday. It was excellent in every way, porter met us at the door to help with bags. Room was fab, lovely view of the river and city. Very clean. Food in bar was just excellent. Good location and staff couldn't have been more helpful, would definately recommend and will definately stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bubsyboodle
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful views of your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel Cork.
I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. I have passed on your lovely comments to all of the team here at the hotel.
Why not stay in touch with us on Facebook where you will find great offers and competitions!!