“Our second stay”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Paris, France
“Our second stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

We had such a lovely experience the first time that I decided to come again for Christmas shopping & booked the Winter Stay package for myself & my husband. I decided to splash out and book the executive level also as a treat. Again most of the the staff are lovely, location is perfect. We had lunch in the hotel bar on arrival along with our complimentary hot chocolate. Bar staff were very attentive and polite. Only downside this time is that service was incredibly slow though the bar was by no means full, just a few Connaught fans & others leisurely watching the match with their pints and sandwiches.

As we didn't want to go into town that night to eat again we went down to the restaurant at approx 5.4pm to enquire about a table for 2. We were willing to eat early as we knew we hadn't booked in advance. We were told by the girl at front of house (who made a big gesture of looking all around the room) that there was no availability at that time even though I could only visibly see 2 other couples in the whole room and anyone who knows the hotel, knows how large the restaurant is. There were only 2 of us for heavens sake & if we had been told that we would need to vacate for a sitting at 7/7.30pm, we would have been happy to do so?? Just very very poor service and very disappointing.

As there was no room at the inn here and the bar was filled with people just drinking & not eating (a very poor layout when you are forced to sit next to someone you don't know for lack of space to eat), we decided to go up to the executive lounge to pass away some time before heading into town. It is a nice area to relax in , in theory, but was very poorly maintained on this day. There were no snacks left - bar a few muffin-like buns, and half dead looking bananas. It was very untidy with empty cups/plates left at almost every table & for the extra we paid to have use of the room, it simply wasn't worth it.

As for our bedroom itself, we had a view of the back of the kitchen prep area. Nothing more needs to be said. Very very disappointing considering that I had paid much less for a room last summer on the floor under with a fantastic view of the River Lee. So much for valuing repeat custom.

And so we are back in Cork this month again for 3 nights but will be avoiding the River Lee. I hate the feeling that my money and custom is not appreciated.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RGPRS
MichelleSpillane, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, January 7, 2012
Dear RGPRS,

Firstly I would like apologise to you for the issue’s that occurred during your stay here with us and to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback as I believe only by us receiving this feedback can we improve our training and our service for our guests. I would like to assure you that this is not the Level of service we can and do strive to provide here at the River Lee Hotel and I have already discussed all your feedback with my team in our Management meeting so a full and concise investigation can be carried out and to make sure this does not occur again.

I do hope I can welcome you back again to the river lee hotel so you yourself can see the positive results of your feedback and I can have an opportunity to show you how much we value and appreciate your custom at The River Lee Hotel.

The River Lee Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

A monument to Ireland's recent financial hubris, The River Lee Hotel is a bit out of character with crusty authentic Cork. The public spaces are chic and elgant and the entire building exudes modernity. Not inexpensive, but I found it good value for money by booking on the Hotel's website. It is a moderate slightly dull walk from the historic centre. I was given a spacious bright room overlooking the city. Breakfast was superb. Abolsutely no complaints, just hope standards can be maintained given the country's current parlous economic situation.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dear Ukbanker33,

Thank you for taking the time to post your tripadvisor review and for sharing your kind comments with future guests. I am delighted you enjoyed your time at the River Lee Hotel and I hope we can continue to exceed your expectations for all future stays.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

This hotel was on the difficult side when it came to finding it but that could have just been our navigator. It was well worth the wait though. The rooms were spotless, big bathrooms and the staff were wonderful. A wonderful start to our holiday!

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Cem_W131,

Thank you for taking the time to post your tripadvisor review. I was delighted you enjoyed your stay and I hope to see you back with us again soon. Please be assured that I am having my Sales team investigate the difficulties you encountered with directions.

Cumbria, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

Stayed here with family and friends for my 30th birthday weekend. Great hotel, only about 10 minutes walk to city centre. Breakfast was excellent and never had to wait for a table. Fab rooms located overlooking the river, although would have been nice to have bathrobe and slippers. Good leisure facilities although beware you need to wear a swimming hat and the lockers are not the easiest to use. Overall great weekend and would stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank curlysue81
MichelleSpillane, General Manager at The River Lee, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
Dear CurlySue81,

Thank you for taking the time to post your tripadvisor review. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and would like to assure you that my team and I take all customer feedback on board as we use this to improve our service for all our customers. I have taken your bathrobe and slippers feedback under advisement and will speak with My Housekeeping Manager in relation to this.

I do hope I can welcome you back soon to the River Lee Hotel.

The River Lee Hotel.
Limerick
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

This is my 4th stay at this hotel and I have always really liked this hotel, I have given gift vouchers in the past for Christmas presents as I was that impressed I wanted family and friends to experience it. I have left reviews on this hotel previously and I have always been happy with the hotel in general, but unfortunately we had a very poor experience here recently which means we are unlikely to stay here again. Myself, my sister and my mother stayed here the last weekend in November for one night as part of our annual shopping stayover in Cork. It is something we look forward to and unfortunately our experience in the hotel bar really gave our stay a poor ending. We had been out for something to eat after a busy day shopping and went to one of the city bars for a couple of drinks. My mother is 70 so we did not want to stay in the city and decided it would be more comfortable for my mother if we headed back to the hotel bar to finish off our day. We arrived at the hotel at approx 10.30 - 11pm and entered the bar, expecting in all reason to be able to order a drink. When we entered there was a lot of people picking up their jackets and leaving and the shutters were coming down on the bar. We could not believe the bar could be closed to residents so my sister went out to reception to ask. She was told the bar was in fact closed and drink could no longer be served. She explained that we were residents and it was far from an unreasonable time to request a drink and eventually the man capitulated and said he would get us our drinks. He came to our table 5 to 10 mins later and begrudgingly put the drinks on the table. I was embarrassed at this stage as I recommend the hotel so highly and booked our stay and I asked why the bar was closing so early and he just looked at me puzzled and said this always happens. I advised I have stayed many times on a Sunday night and this is not the case. The man said the bar was closed and he would not be able to serve us anymore and that would be our last drink! We were made to feel like it was a big deal to order a drink at 11pm at night! We went back to our rooms and settled down for the night but I was really put out at his attitude and decided to mention this on check out the next morning. To be fair to the girls on reception they were lovely and courteous and they enquired on check out how our stay was. I told them of our experience and they were shocked. The said they would get the manager to ring me. The manager did in fact ring me once I was home and was extremely apologetic and said it should not have happened and I appreciated his apology but I felt the offer of a free drink when we next stay at the hotel was a bit half hearted and presumptuous to be honest. It is a pity as the hotel in general is lovely and the staff are great.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ali_Olivia
Dear Ali_Olivia,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. Firstly I would like to apologise for the below par service you experienced during your recent stay and Secondly I would like to assure you that this is not the level of service we here at the River Lee Hotel provide to our customers. Your feedback is an invaluable tool that will be used to help us to continue to improve our service standards for yours and other customers future stays.

I do hope my team and I can welcome you back to the River Lee Hotel soon so you can see the positive results of your feedback in action.

Umina Beach, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

This was one of the best hotels we stayed at on our trip! We booked it as a mystery hotel for 2 days. It was about a 10 or so minute walk from Central Cork.

The hotel itself was very modern, we got there with a couple of hours to spare before we checked in, the staff were very apologetic, event though it was us who was early!!

The room itself was very clean and spacious. with tea and coffee facilities, mini fridge and ice makers in the hallways. The bathroom was massive with a separate bath and shower and the most beautiful beauty products!

The only thing that was a miss was our mini fridge stopped working, but the maintenance was up to our room within 10min of making a call to fix it.

The downstairs bar was great, though the drinks a little expensive, the food was fairly basic. But the atmosphere, with a deck out over the River Lee, was fantastic - especially when the sun came out.

Overall it was a relaxing stay (away from the in-laws!!!) I would definitely recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Bubiana,

Thank you or taking the time to post your tripadvisor review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and thought so highly of our hotel and facilities.

I do hope to welcome you back soon to the river lee Hotel.

Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

A new hotel close to the university and ten minutes walk from the town centre. Ample free underground parking. Comfortable and high quality in all areas.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear RayPorter,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to see your comments and read what you thought of our hotel. All your kind comments have been passed on to my staff and Management team as well. I hope we can continue to exceed your expectations on all future stays.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,