“would avoid...”

Ranked #7 of 61 Cork B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“would avoid...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed here, it was last option everywhere else was booked out on that night,

Pros Location, staff,

Cons. No kettle or hairdryer in the room,Room was also on the lower ground floor So had to keep curtains closed as people could see straight into the room,

also on the morning i was advised i could not have breakfast as it was booked by a group..
was offered a box with a sandwich and apple in it,

i wouldn't stay here again especially for the price paid, ive stayed in other b and bs around cork city which are far better value for your money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mullen07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Wiltshire uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have recently returned from a 4-night stay at Gabriel House, along with my Mother and two sisters. The staff are so friendly and made us all very welcome - nothing was too much trouble. Our room was clean and comfortable and although there were no tea-making facilities in the rooms, we were able to help ourselves to tea/coffee/hot chocolate in the dining-room, at any time. The breakfasts are delicious and help to get every day off to a flying start! We will definitely come again and would recommend Gabriel House to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tina C
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Along with friends my husband and I spent 4 days at Gabriel House. It was the perfect location to be near the city centre. The rooms were large and very clean. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff there. They made us very welcome, were warm and friendly and gave us lots of information on where to visit/eat in Cork. Breakfast was hearty - only criticism was that the sausages seemed cheap and were a bit tasteless. Would stay there again and would recommend.

Room Tip: There isn't a "fitness centre" afraid couldn't untick box!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Athlone, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have stayed at Gabriel house on several occasions and each time my experience has been excellent. The staff are very friendly and Kathleen the manageress has a great chat each time I return. The full Irish breakfast is exactly what i need as I head off on my days work.Thanks again and I look forward to many more visits to Gabriel House.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark E
Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Gabriel house was 100 Euro per night compared to plenty nearby B&B's which are more simple and modest, but charge 25-30 Euro per night. Yes, Gabriel House is nicer, bigger, offers more comfortable bed, larger TV, en-suite shower (no bath), and better breakfast. But I still think it is overly priced. I would have been ok with 50-60 Euro, but not 100.

Pros:
- Irish breakfast was nice, along with cereal and fruit, orange/apple juice
- staff was friendly
- WiFi signal was steady
- nice relaxing patio

Cons:
- it was hard to find the place, which is located top-hill, so if you carry heavy luggage it's very inconvenient to get there. The website had no map or exact location (street name was available but not the number)
- no elevator, so if you're room is not on the ground floor - you need to lift your luggage
- no window nets, so expect dragonflies, butterflies, or other bugs flying through the window
- if your room is in the ground floor and you want natural light coming out of the window - forget about your privacy, as the window is facing the patio, where other guests can easily see into your room

Room Tip: ground level: no stairs but less privacy (window facing patio) / upper level: better privacy but lif...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed here with my mother on a visit to cork, to visit family. We were greeted by fantastically friendly staff.

Our room was on the top floor, and this was a fair struggle for my mum, but we managed. Although I wouldn't recommend this, for anyone who is not fit as with bags can be hard going.

The room was clean with a fantastic view over the river.

Beds were not comfy and room got very hot even with heating off and window open.

We stayed for three nights, and each night were disturbed. The first night a drunken gentieman was swearing and trying to get in. The second night we had a group of 6 drunken men in the room next to us, keeping us awake till after 3, after a night out.

They had previously had a rather loud room party before they went out, complete with loud music. And while it was between 7-9 ruined our evening in, before a busy day, as the walls seem rather thin.

The final night we were woken by a fire alarm, which went off leaving us all outside, I understand these things happen, but it took nearly an hour for any one to communicate with us and the alarm continued due to a fault for an hour. There were no apologies or compensations offered.

If you are looking for a quiet family place to rest I wouldn't recommend it due to the weekend drinkers and lack of twilight staff to manage this.

We really have returned home, needing a good nights sleep and a rest.

We also thought the breakfast started rather late at the weekend as most visitors wanted to eat early and get out for the day, so it was disappointing that this was later at weekends. This led to a big rush when the kitchen opened.

Although the breakfast was lovely we missed out on the final day as we needed to leave by 8

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Beanie_there
Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night by myself on a visit, it was such a bargain find! The B&B is more like a hotel really, with lots of rooms. I arrived quite late and the receptionist was very helpful in providing me with a selection of menus for local takeaways and came to the room a couple of flights of stairs up to tell me when my pizza had arrived. The rooms are very comfortable, and modern looking. Gorgeous bathroom. The room was cosy, and the bed was comfortable. The only complaint I would have is that the pillows were really uncomfortable, but this is only a minor fault! Tea facilities were available on arrival with the option of hot chocolate. The breakfast has a good selection, the home made cakes were delightful, possibly the only complaint i had was that the soda bread really wasn't what I would classify as soda bread! But that's probably just personal taste! If you have difficulty with stairs I wouldn't advise the B&B, as there is no lift and you have to carry your stuff up quite a few stairs. Otherwise I would highly recommend it! Plenty of parking, and close to the city centre. A really nice stay :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo