“Personalized excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Emerson House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cork
Emerson House
Ranked #29 of 61 Cork B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Personalized excellence”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

A great hidden gem: fantastically decorated, charming large rooms, low cost, great view, perfect host: Cyril knows all the facts about the local scene as well as Ireland as a whole, and one could talk to him all day. Gay friendly with advice on local hangouts and events. Cyril even too the time to guide me to the best tourist locations and make sure i hit all the highlights. It is a short walk from town but I would recommend a cab later at night, I tried walking home at 2am and I was a little spooked by a few drunk people and ran most of the way. A bit hard to find based on directions, but I think this is "an Irish thing" (the directions were very visual and guidepost-oriented, and hard to figure out---but everywhere I drove in Ireland was impossible to navigate).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Brandon Barton B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
NJ, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I knew it was a perfect stay as soon as I booked it. Cyril, without me even asking, gave me loads of information about Cork and the house way before I got there. He let me check in early and even went to pick me up at the station, carried my bags to the room, and, partly because I was the only one in the house those days, even drove me to and from more than half of the places I visited. Breakfast was delicious, and the room went beyond comfortable--I walked in and almost gasped at the size and elegance of the whole thing. It was storming out those days in Cork, and as much as I wanted to sight-see, I kept looking forward to coming back and enjoying a cup of tea and curling up in the king-sized bed with the silky comforter. I highly recommend this B&B to anyone visiting Cork for any reason--it was the most expensive of the places I was staying in, but the prices were still very reasonable, and compared with anywhere in the US, insanely inexpensive. Stay here!

Room Tip: Get the deluxe suite!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank RunnerOnIce
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Had a wonderful stay here. It's a short walk to the city center, without all of the noise. I came on my own, didn't know another soul in Cork but the host made me feel very at ease and told me about what there was to see and visit while in Cork. Felt safe here and loved the atmosphere of the house, which is a heritage home with all of its whimsy. Breakfast was great and it's very clean. Definitely would reccommend this place for solo travellers, couples and friends.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Raina H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Emerson House is a wonderful place to stay if ever visiting Cork city. I stay there at least twice a year when visiting family. Cyril the guesthouse owner is always so welcoming and makes everyone feel at home whether you are gay or straight. He is there 24/7 to advise guests on places to visit etc. and will sometimes sit and chat with you after breakfast. The house has some charming bedrooms which span the full with of the property and offer far reaching views of Cork city and harbour. All rooms are on suite and nicely decorated in keeping with the style of the property. Emerson is only a ten minute walk to the city centre which is great. This place is a must stay if ever in Cork. Be sure to ask for one of his best double rooms with the view and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Padraigmac
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I am not gay, not in the least. I enjoyed myself here because I met alot of hilarious people. The owner Cyril is friendly as is the rest of his entourage. The rooms are old and fairly well kept as the house is a heritage home and it is built like something Willy Wonka would dream up. The bathrooms are a bit difficult to navigate, small very cramped showers to say the least. I only mention this because you will notice this right away but you cannot do much, the house is what it is. I enjoyed my stay here and Cyril knows the area and how to get to places easily. (Blarney Castle, Titanic.) I was able to avoid tour buses and go at my own pace which I really appreciated. I would recommend this place to anyone but remember, when your coming up the hill it's on the right. Or use the gps on your phone which I forgot to do. Whatever!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Chris S
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We spent two nights in Cork on our recent trip around Ireland and found the Emerson House a most exceptional find. Our room was very spacious and had a wonderful view of the city, just a short walk away. Cyril was a most gracious host helping us find just the right night life and restaurants. Excellent choice.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank paulored
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Friends and I decided to visit Cork for a birthday party and of course we searched gay accomodation. We were delighted we found Emerson House. The host Cyril was brilliant. His suggestion of a trip kayaking on the river, through the city center, was a highlight especially when we were escorted by dolphins on a glorious sunny afternoon.The large double rooms which face south are very bright and spacious with fine furniture and many original period features like Georgian fireplaces. The beds are very comfy so much so that we slept quiet late after a great night on the town.This however was not a problem for our cheerful host for we were served with a wonderful breakfast before we reluctantly bade our farewells and boarded the train back to Dublin to face another week of toil in the office.To top it all the birthday boy also scored !!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends