“A gem of a find, will definitely be back”
Review of Commons Inn

Commons Inn
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I was on business in Cork recently and decided to try somewhere new and I wasn't disappointed. I received an excellent deal on their website b&b and 2 course evening meal for E75. The hotel is very easy to find on the N20 on the way into Cork. While it is not city centre, I wouldn't fault it for that and I think some reviewers have been a bit harsh in that respect. I was on business so had a car and there was plenty of secure parking. Checkin was friendly and efficient. The rooms are in need of a revamp but I certainly wouldn't fault them on that. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. There is a little noise from traffic which didn't effect me, but if you are a light sleeper, perhaps ask for a room at the rear of the hotel.

The meal was delicious and there was a waiter there who could not do enough for the customers. He was very popular and knew a lot of the customers by name. The restaurant was busy but the service was prompt. I would highly recommend the food here.

Breakfast in the morning was fine - full Irish - can't go wrong. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it. If you are a tourist who wants to stay in a city centre location with everything a 5 minute walk away from you this is not the hotel for you. If you are staying in Cork and have transport or don't mind getting a bus, then this is a hotel for you. The food is exceptional and it represents excellent value for money. I will recommend and definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room not facing the main road.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Cork12324, Front Office Manager at Commons Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Many thanks for your kind review. Next time you stay please ask for one of our loyalty cards. You can save up to 5% on your purchases, food & drink - so you get even better value! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Third time we have stayed here. Room clean and comfortable, staff friendly and helpful. Generous helpings of good quality freshly cooked food. We particularly enjoyed the Irish banter with Daniel, our waiter. Very good value and would certainly stay again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your very kind review. It is a great pleasure for us when people think enough of us to return again and again. We hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here a few times, yet to be disappointed, big spacious rooms comfy beds and a flat screen with a decent selection of channels an all for under 70 euro for 2 people. Stayed last Saturday last minute booking and still found them to be cheapest available, I'll be back again no doubt

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cork12324, Front Office Manager at Commons Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Thank you very much for your kind comments. Our aim at The Commons Express Inn is to provide clean,comfortable,warm and safe accommodation at a reasonable price. We are delighted to have been able to provide this for you. We look forward to having you back again.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

As a family we would if in cork stop off at the commons on a Sunday for lunch and have always found it to be top class. The service and the food is excellent. Last week my wife and myself and another couple decided to try an evening meal there. We were not disappointed. All 4 of us had the chicken and bacon salad for starters. Fantastic, then 3 of us had the steak and 1 of us had the house burger for main course. We have eaten in many places for an evening meal but this has got to have being the best. I would highly recommend the commons for an evening meal. Thanks also to Daniel who looked after us on the night. .

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tommy m

Many thanks for your kind review. We are always working to provide the best possible dining experience for the best price. You might be interested in our new "Wine & Dine" special, which offers a four course meal for 2, together with a bottle of wine, for €49. We hope to see you again shortly.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

The food here is excellent, great value for money and good quality. Most recently we celebrated my son's christening in their restaurant (our daughter's christening took place here too). The staff were very friendly and our waiter Daniel ( he will be easy to identify due to his warm, welcoming smile and his ability to put a person at ease with his friendly chat) was so attentive and accommodating. Our christening party was quite large on both occasions and included quite a few children, Daniel was so patient and made sure to give each guest whatever attention and assistance they required, his attention to detail ensured that my husband and I got to sit back, relax and celebrate our son's big day which we can look back on with very fond memories. All of our guests were really pleased with the food they were served and with the service Daniel provided. I have no doubt that should the occasion arise, we would choose the restaurant as our venue in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank EMKJ2013
Cork12324, General Manager at Commons Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you very much for your great review. We are delighted that Daniel was able to meet and surpass your expectations and it's something that makes us proud of all our colleagues working with us here at The Commons Inn. Why not stay in touch with everything we have to offer on our facebook page- The Commons Inn. Again, many thanks & we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

By god I would swear by this place! I have been coming here for 13 years and the waiter known by Daniel was excellent at his service! Daniel had came over to the table where my family and I had been having a birthday meal! Daniel made sure that we were ok and he always had smile! Daniel is very friendly and helpful and he is an excellent worker, he went out of his way to make sure that the food was correct and the family were fine! I will be having more parties here at the commons and Daniel well done :) if I was daniel's boss I would be proud as punch! Excellent!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Danii132

Thank you for your very kind review. Here at the Commons we take great pride in our colleagues and the extra mile they go for our customers. I have passed on your comments to Daniel. We look forward to seeing you again, maybe for our new Family Offer which we are launching on Monday 13th January. Check out our facebook page for details- The Commons Inn

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Travelled in a group of 8. The Inn is ideal as a base for travelling out and about. Only 2 storey so easy access to rooms. Reception and all staff incredibly friendly/helpful. Rooms clean and spacious, 2 very comfy double beds and en suite with basic toiletries. It is opposite a busy road but there is double glazing and traffic noise did not affect our sleep quality. Breakfast plentiful with a help yourself buffet and/or order full Irish or whatever variation you fancy.
Located in between Cork and Blarney with bus stops outside going either way. Cheapest way to travel and drivers very helpful (telling us where to get off etc). We also travelled by train to the Titanic Experience in Cobh.
The Inn has a very large Bar and Function facilities which catered for several local parties during our stay. We were not disturbed by any of them and were welcome to use the bar during these times.
Apart from breakfast we did not eat here but if the Locals use it then it must be good.
Cork is a beautiful city with great shopping and great bars (tho' we always seemed to end up in Cook Street!)
Will definitely visit 'Commons' and Cork again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank shropshiregal17
Cork12324, Front Office Manager at Commons Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. We are delighted that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again when you are in Cork (and don't forget to sample our barfood next time!)