“Fota for everyone :)”

Fota Wildlife Park
Ranked #1 of 159 things to do in Cork
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fota Wildlife Park is Cork's most visited Tourist Attraction and has been awarded best family day out in Cork and Munster. The Park is set on 70 acres on the scenic Fota Island in the heart of Cork Harbour only 15 minutes from Cork City (top 10 in the best cities to visit in the Lonely Planet guide's 'Best in Travel 2010').The park is not like an ordinary zoo; here you can come face to face with free roaming animals & birds from all parts of the world. So whether it's a kangaroo that hops in front of you or a ring tailed lemur which jumps down from a tree, each visit is sure to bring its own fantastic memories.In addition to the wonderful array of free roaming animals, visitors also have the opportunity to see highly endangered species such as the Rothschild giraffe, European Bison, Lion Tailed Macaque and Scimitar Horned Oryx, most of them without the obstacle of fenced-in exhibits.This is the most spectacular aspect of Fota Wildlife Park, and is the reason you'll want to spend a full day exploring Ireland's Wildest Attraction.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I've been to Fota a couple of times and I just love it, but I have a love for seeing all the exotic animals up close and personal. If your not an animal lover Fota is deffo not for you. This most recent trip I went with 3 of my friends and we did two circuits of the park. We got to see the elusive Red panda, and got to see the Cheetah run in action. Folks if you haven't been to Fota yet its time to go if you've been but its been awhile its time to re-visit. I know I will

Write a ReviewReviews (2,882)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

i love spending the day out at fota wildlife ireland in cork as it is just ten minutes by train from cork station and it's a great day out for all the family

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Kids love this place, food and beverages are pricey but you can bring your own. We always enjoy coming here with the kids.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I went here during a recent visit to Cork. The sun was not exactly shining when we arrived and we asked the counter assistant if the animals were wearing overcoats and carrying umbrellas. Anyway, the sun came out and we walked round the park. I've been here before but things have changed since my last visit. We first looked round the cages with the monkeys before walking round to the right to have a look at the Cheetah's. We were too early for feeding time but after having a long gaze at them we walked down the hill towards the cafe area, passing other animals along the way. Birds and other animals walk freely around the park in some areas.

We passed the penguin area on the way but again this was before feeding time. When we reached the cafe at the bottom of the hill it was closed and there was refurbishment work going on. It was a pity because during previous visits it was always possible to get something to eat and sit outside while racoons wandered around the seating area hoping to get a spare morsel.

Anyway after that we had a look at the monkeys and spent some time observing a young monkey having difficulty extricating himself from a potentially difficult situation. Now without being too crude, it was interesting to watch how his parents dealt with him ad these types of monkeys had exposed genitals and the adults kept grabbing the young one's penis and tugging it as a means of keeping him in check.

After walking round the rest of the park, which at a slow pace took a couple of hours, we walked past more Cheetah's and some Zebra, which were being eagerly observed by one of the Cheetah's, we made out way back to the top of the hill and spent some time observing the Giraffe's. As it was getting near to feeding time for the Cheetah's we walked back round there for a closer look.

This was interesting as the keepers stood on a tower over the animals and tied dead rabbits to contraction which shot back and forth across their area and allowed them to give chase. It was interesting to observe their skills of chasing and catching which allows the viewer to have some insight into their hunting techniques in the wild. One poor animal kept having his food pinched by the others so the keepers eventually threw him his own food. We had thought about having something to eat and walking round for a second time but after I mentioned that we were also close to a Titanic exhibition (which my brother is very much interested in) we decided to leave the park and go elsewhere.

On the way out of the park we discovered that although there is no charge on entering the park, there is a car parking charge of 3 Euros to leave the park. This is an increase since my last visit, but well worth knowing anyway. So don't go in unless you have some spare money to get out.

In overall summary, if the day had been better I'm sure we would have stayed longer and made more use of the facilities. However, the park is lovely to view, the animals there have lots of space to move around and in some cases you can get right up close to the animals themselves. It will be a great place to take children and they have a well stocked souvenir shop for children of all ages. I'm sure I will visit again when I'm next in the area..

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We visited Fota Wildlife Park whilst we were staying in Cork, Ireland. The wild life park is HUGE. And there is an abundance of wildlife to see. Some of the wildlife (peacocks, ducks, swan, rabbits, ginea fowl and some marsupials are roaming around of their own accord and can be seen very very close up - as in within touching distance - so we tried to keep the girls at bay - poor animals wouldn't have survived being mauled by our two little angels!
The larger penned animals have acres of land to roam - seem to be kept well (although we did spot a spider monkey that seemed to like banging her shoulder repeatedly against a log (she seemed a little disturbed, perhaps bored or psychologically damaged - some attention needed perhaps. We saw several cheetah and one saw our little girl Neave - I'm sure my husband and I saw "lunch" written all of that cheetah's face!
The giraffe are quite simply magnificent. Huge and awesome creatures and what seemed to be a family of giraffe.
Monkey's galore - and I love monkeys - really wanted to see some chimpanzee & or gorilla.
Both my husband and I kept commenting that we felt that we had stepped into Jurassic Park. I think that that was what FOTA wildlife park felt like, the mini wildlife car and trailers probably helped the Jurassic feel to the park.
The cafe was basic but had hot/cold drinks and edible food - nothing grand.
There is a lovely gift shop on site - but be warned - your children, if you have any will want everything in it!
You could walk for what seemed like miles and miles there is so much land and so much to see. There is a tent where the children can have their faces painted, do some drawing or painting or games with staff in attendance. There are several play and park areas with slides and swings - so lots for the kids to do. And yes - our two little babies were exhausted after their day out at FOTA park. So - all in all JOB DONE! Mission accomplished. We all have a really really good day out and I would certainly visit FOTA again.

1  Thank Natasha E