“Superb” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Cork
cork
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2006

I have recently attended 2 different functions at the Clarion Hotel and I would like to say that on both occasions I found the service provided by the Staff and Management to be of the highest standard. The food and service both times was absolutely top class. I would have no hesitation in recommending the Clarion and look forward to my own next visit.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank Nira2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2006

Just back from a professional visit to the Clarion Hotel in Cork City. Our company (International Software Vender) held an Executive Lunch in their excellent Conference Centre. The Service, Food and Room exceeded all of our expectations. This Hotel would give any five star hotel in Dublin a run for their money. I would highly recommend this Hotel to anybody considering visiting Cork City on a professional or social level.

Accommodation
From a personal perspective the rooms are large and clean with everything that you would need and expect from a four star hotel. My room had a wonderfull view overlooking the river Lee.

Breakfast was the best I have experienced from any Hotel in Ireland. I would recommend trying the Clonakilty Pudding!! For Lunch and Dinner there are two choices, either formal and informal. We ate in the more informal bar called Kudos. Food again was superb!

Professional and Friendly from the moment we arrived.

Location
Perfect! Right bang in the middle of Cork City. Everything within walking distance.

Value for money
Five star quality with four star prices!

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2006

Just returned from a weekend stay with my wife and two young children. We had a family room on the second floor which was very spacious, clean and bright. The staff were very helpful and my young children had a fun time in the very clean pool. Would not hesitate to recommend this place.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newcastle upon Tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Clarion Hotel in Cork. The hotel is wonderful and the staff very pleasant throughout our stay. We had a double room on the 6th floor, which had a wonderful view of the City and the River, it had a balcony with decking area, which was fab.

The bathroom was very spacious, with lovely towels and a good selection of toiletries, I had forgotten toothpaste and the reception very kindly provided me with complimentary toothbrush and paste. The bed was large, and there was still plenty of room, a good hairdryer, not stuck to the wall, iron and ironing board in the room. Plenty coffee and tea etc.

Breakfast was the only meal we took in the hotel and it was good, not the best, but still very good. The choice of restaurants is vast outside and I would recommend a bistro called Scoozys for fab pasta, pizza, salad etc.....very busy so expect to wait a while.

We were visiting friends and I have to say that this is one of the best city breaks we have ever done, far superior to Dublin. A wonderful Irish city that we will be dashing back to.

The Clarion is very central, very clean, with very pleasant people working there, the only moan we had was that when we arrived back at the hotel at 3am/4am in the morning (we were out late every night!) the doors were locked and we had to ring a bell to get in, this is only a small complaint and it was good security.

The bar attached to the hotel was popular and buzzing ~ my guess is you can do a lot worse than this city centre hotel.

6 Thank Geordiegirl35
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with a group of friends. On arrival we were greeted by a slightly less-than-friendly girl working on reception, but she was the only staff member we met during our stay who was not courteous and friendly.

We stayed in a balcony room overlooking the river Lee. The room was average in size, with most of the facilities and comforts you would expect from a 4-star hotel. However, there were no robes or slippers provided - which I found to be surprising, given that these are now pretty standard in hotels of this class. The room was clean and nicely-furnished though, and the beds were very comfortable.

We ate in the hotel bar twice during our stay - and the food was excellent, as was the service. Breakfast was delicious, with a large selection of foods to choose from. I was not too bothered by the lack of interaction from the staff - I prefer to be left in peace while having breakfast than to have to deal with false, over-enthusiastic greetings that sometimes occur in other hotels. The lunch menu in the foyer area is very limited - which is a pity if you just want a sandwich or salad rather than a Thai meal from the bar.

Overall I was very impressed with this hotel and would have no hesitation in recommending it to others.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Cardiganwoman
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2006

Stayed in the Clarion in Cork not too long ago on corporate business and to be honest I was not impressed. The hotel looks really impressive on the outside but I felt the interior design was a bit too sterile and unwelcoming, unfortunately the interior of the hotel reflected on the staff. I have never stayed in a hotel where I have encountered so many rude and unfriendly staff, it was unpleasant on check in as the young personnel had very little "recpetion personality" (the same on check out). Breakfast staff seem to have a hard time saying good morning (and when they did, it certainly did not seem like they meant it). Dinner was ok, the restaurant itself was ok but the menu was very poor (food and prices). The bedroom was nothing much, modern enough but very inpersonal. Can't say I have not stayed in better hotel bedrooms, because I have. The highlight of the whole stay was probably walking out the entrance, I have stayed in alot of hotels due to my work but never have I come across such ignorant service, needless to say, I would never stay there again.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Staffordshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2006

Stayed two nights at the Clarion (2 nights B&B + 1 dinner for €190) Had room overlooking north side of town. Room excellent - spacious and spotless with big bathroom. Location is great, within easy walking distance of shops, restaurants etc. Underground car parking included though finding the entrance was a challenge (its off Oliver Plunkett Street Lower). The buffet breakfast offered an excellent selection of hot and cold food, all topped up regularly. Dinner was however disappointing - the cooking certainly did not match the price tag. Used hotel pool - good size for a hotel pool and spa (felt the need for pampering) Staff efficient and obliging - very relaxed about check out time (the pampering took longer than expected).

• Stayed April 2006