“Five-star service in a top-class four-star hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clayton Hotel Cork City

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Clayton Hotel Cork City
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Dublin, Ireland
“Five-star service in a top-class four-star hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

This hotel is terrific. I'm a wheelchair user and good service from the staff is always important to me. In fact, it is essential. I always need help with this and that. In that respect, I have no complaints about this place. Fantastic.
€100 a night, which is not something I'd be spending every weekend - I was travelling alone but travelling with somebody would make it very reasonable. I've just booked a hotel in Lyon, France, and in Nice on the French Riviera. I wish I could get a hotel this good for €100. €100 doesn't buy you much bang in the centre of most cities, but this is an exception.
This is extremely close to the main shopping/restaurant streets in city. It is also in a great location to get in from Dublin, and out of the city again. And it's just over the bridge to the main road to the airport.
As a wheelchair user, I needed an accessible room and this one was one of the best. HUGE room. They normally have one double and one single in this room but they took the single out for me. It was massive. Good size bathroom, roll in shower, properly positioned sink for the wheelchair. And a nice high bed. The door was very difficult open from the inside for a wheelchair user. However, they removed the automatic door closer for me, which was really handy. Great breakfast, decent enough oriental food in the bar. Didn't eat in the main restaurant. But the main thing is the service. Really amazing. Five-star service. And there is a downstairs car park.

Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
DGMCork, Deputy General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, September 2, 2009
Dear Albatross66,
On behalf of the management and staff of the Clarion Hotel Cork I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with others.
It is great to read such a pleasant and informative review and be able to give such positive feedback to our hard working team here in the hotel.
I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable experience during your stay with us in Cork.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel very soon.

Many thanks,

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Turkish first
Shropshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

The Clarion Hotel we found to be excellent in all respects. Staff at every level personified efficiency with friendliness . We could not have asked for more, even though we did have the misfortune to have to vacate our room at 3 am due to an emergency fire alarm call.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Uriagh,
I am delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I have passed your kind comments onto our staff. Sincere apologies that you were effected by the fire alarm, but i would like to assure you that this incident was a once off and it does not reflect the excellent standards of comfort and service we normally provide here at the Clarion Hotel Cork.
I do hope that this one off incident will not put you off returning to the Clarion Hotel Cork and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Waterford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2009

I have been trying to book a night here for the past number of days through their website on the contact us page as I have a few special requirements but my email has not even been acknowledged. I see from the other reviews that this must be a really nice place to stay as they have hardly any bad reviews, it is a shame that they do not answer emails though............I

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deiselady08
DGMCork, Sales & Marketing Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, August 31, 2009
Dear Deiselady08,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am disappointed to learn that you have tried to make contact with the hotel over the past week and have had no response from us. The hotel prides itself in having a quick response rate to all reservations requests and enquiries so I would very much like if you could email me back with details of the email that you sent to the hotel so that I can research this issue further. You can contact me directly on rkelleher@clarionhotelcorkcity.com

I look forward to hearing from you and to possibly welcoming you to the Clarion Hotel Cork very soon where you are sure of a warm welcome.

Raymond Kelleher
Sales & Marketing Manager
Clarion Hotel Cork
kildare
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2009

We recently stayed at the Clarion hotel for 3 nights, one family and one standard room.
We had an enjoyable stay, the hotel facilities are very good. As pointed out by a previous reviewer couldn't understand why adult only movies showing, and not more family oriented ones, oh well. We dined at kudos restaurant, food was good and reasonably priced, a very child friendly bar.Our last night was spoiled by a group of birthday girls who hogged the bar and started singing loudly from evening to close.I couldn't understand why bar staff didn't ask them to stop,I wouldn't expect this behaviour from a four star hotel.When we went to bed we could still hear the noise.
when we checked out the front manager asked if everything was ok, I said yes apart from the girls aloud experience,and as we were leaving she gave me her card, and said next time you come back i'll look after you, to this day I still laugh when I hear this statement.Putting that aside I would recommend this hotel

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

Travelling in from Dublin Road, hotel easy to find, multi-storey car park underneath with elevator access into hotel lobby. Great advantage as we had lots of bags and two small children to transfer safely from car on a rainy day. A €9 charge per overnight stay seemed v reasonable. Check in was v efficient. Very friendly to the little ones, which is always nice, and altogether made us feel v welcome as a family.We had arrived few hrs before the check-in time and room wasn't ready but receptionist contacted housekeeping to prioritise our room. Took our bags and asked us with apologies if we'd mind waiting an hour. Lady at reception very helpful in suggesting street only minutes walk away with lots options for lunch while we waited, gave us a map without us asking and spent some time pointing out shopping areas and good routes to walk around. Room itself was fantastic - fab view of the river, tastefully decorated, plenty of room for kids to play, huge bathroom with large bath. No noise at nighttime. Wi-Fi not available in room but internet access was available through the tv facility. One issue would be that only "adult" movies were available on hotel movies, no children's movies?? Cleanliness not an issue anywhere in the hotel, place is immaculate, including the spa/swimming pool. Pool was great, with a small children's pool. We all loved the tasty and well stocked breakfast buffet, good coffee and our 5 yr old felt very grown-up with her pot of hot chocolate beside the coffee pot. All staff, even passing in hall, were v friendly and would say hello. Kudos restaurant staff very nice and efficient, and child friendly. V good food but "Mild" on the thai menu would in my view be too hot. I would not hesitate to to recommend this hotel. Great location, lots shopping nearby and 20 mins drive to Fota Wildlife Park. Good value too.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel, however our only complaint was that the temperature of the pool was far too low for all of us, the kids were shivering getting out of it, we got talking to a few members while we were in the leisure centre area and mentioned it in conversation about the pool, they said that a lot of people complain that the pool is getting colder in the last few months. Members said they have noticed the cutbacks recently in the gym/pool and are looking into other gyms to join as the complaints made about the temperature of the pool were not being listened to. Also we were surprised for a 4* hotel that their main restaurant was only open a couple of nights a week this a big problem for us. Probably would go somewhere else next time

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
DGMCork, Deputy General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, September 7, 2009
Dear wearytraveller96,
I am delighted to see that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us however your comments on our Leisure Centre are concerning.
I have carried out a detailed investigation into your comments in this area and I can confirm that there have been no temperature fluctuations in our pool at any stage this year. Our swimming pool water temperature is maintained at 29 degrees Celsius at all times and is controlled by a BMS (Building Management System) which ensures that this temperature remains constant. The industry standard and recommended pool water temperature is between 27 degrees to 30 degrees Celsius.
We have always maintained a close relationship with our members and we carry out a number of surveys with them throughout the year and always act upon any issues that our members or guests may point out to us. We want to provide the best possible standards and service to all of our members and guests and our Leisure Centre team are always available to discuss and act upon any areas of concern.
Please accept my apologies that our Sinergie Restaurant was not opened during your stay with us. We are currently reviewing our mid week operating hours in this area but still provide three different dining options in the hotel when the restaurant is not opened.
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor and for your valuable feedback. We place great emphases on our guests feedback at the Clarion Hotel Cork as we feel that it is through comments such as yours that will enable us to provide and maintain the standards that you would expect from a Clarion Hotel.
I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel in the future. If you would like to discuss any aspect of your stay in more detail please do not hesitate to contact me.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

Pretty much from the moment we arrived, the staff did everything they could to get us to our room as swiftly as possible, bearing in mind we arrived at 09.30 in the morning due to a certain budget airline.....the hotel's location is perfect, just a few minutes walk from the main centre of the city. Our room was spacious and had everything we needed. The atrium area is a very clever, relaxed space where you can kick back with a coffee or have a lite bite to eat. Although we didn't have any meals in the restaurant, other guests we spoke to did and were very impressed. I can highly recommend the residents bar, Kudos - very handy if you're not quite ready to call it a night after you've been out....We are already planning a second visit to Cork in 2009 and will be putting The Clarion at the top of our list..

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Dear RugbyFreak,
Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We get some great feedback on our central Atrium area which is a great place to relax and unwind in with a coffee and a snack from our Savour Menu.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel Cork very soon where you are sure of a warm welcome.