“FAB”

Clayton Hotel Cork City
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed January 11, 2009

The Clarion was a lovely hotel, right in the centre of Cork city.
Reception staff really welcoming and very helpful. The room was beautiful , furnished lovely .large bathroom with non steaming mirror. Complimentary toiletries. We were given a free upgrade as we were on our anniversary treat and there was wine ,fruit,robes and slippers.
Restaurant was lovely breakfast was a great selection and buffet style plenty of choice very well decorated and relaxing atmosphere. We had dinner in the restaurant which was lovely but pricey !!
We loved Cork but did find it expensive especially to eat out.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
DM86, Duty Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2009

Dear Sangria-Kids,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It was our pleasure to upgrade you and I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me the next time you are in Cork and I will offer you the best rate available dutymanager@clarionhotelcorkcity.com.
Kindest Regards
Samantha Stewart
Duty Manager

Reviewed January 2, 2009

Having just returned from a New Year's break in Cork, I must say that the enjoyable stay I experienced was largely down to the superb quality of the Clarion Hotel.
We ordered room service on the night of our arrival and it arrived in no time at all - and when we rang to ask for the tray to be removed, someone was at the door almost as soon as we'd put the phone down!
Impressed by this efficiency, we then proceeded to order room service breakfast for the next 2 mornings - it arrived exactly on time both days - even though the 2nd morning was in fact a very busy New Year's day.
As we had limited time in Cork, we didn't use the spa or pool facilities. Staff on recpetion were exceptionally helpful, providing us with City maps and guides, phoning taxis and offering advice about how and where to spend New Year's Eve!
I would recommend this hotel without hesitation, and know that if I am to visit Cork again, it will be the only place, I'll want to stay!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends

Dear MadCow2,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel Cork where you are assured of a warm welcome.
Kind Regards
Samantha Stewart
Duty Manager

Reviewed December 14, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for the first 3 nights of our week driving around the South West of Ireland. Everything about the hotel was great - staff, room, food.

It was the most expensive of the places we stayed but worth the money. The hotel has a central atrium which mean some rooms look into one another, so if budget allows specify a room that faces outside. We were given a free upgrade.

We ate in both the restaurants with the quality being high over both nights. The Kudos Bar with its asian influence was great to settle in with a couple of cocktails.

The location of the hotel is very central to the shopping area and nearly all attractions are within walking distance. The car park associated with the hotel does have a charge

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen_in_London
Reviewed December 12, 2008

Tough review. Don't get me wrong, this is a lovely place. It has a lovely lobby area with lots of informal relaxing places. We had an executive room (that we paid extra for as it was the only room available that could take 2 adults and 2 children). The room was lovely. A corner room with floor to ceiling windows around two sides. My first gripe is despite speaking in person with this hotel twice, and mentioning the pool for the children on both occasions, they failed to inform us of the shortened pool hours for children. If we had known that, we would have arrived earlier to take advantage of this. So disappointed! Yes kids, there is a lovely pool but you are not allowed to use it! Interestingly when we arrived the lady on the desk at check-in told us one time, the health club people then told us another time. Another thing, if there are four people checking in, four towels in the room would be nice. And one robe, how does that work? Kids packs??? Didn't see anything like that. The food was lovely, the cappucinos were great but I have to say the pool thing and uninformed staff really let them down.

Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank travelbunny
DGMCork, Deputy General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2008

Dear Travelbunny,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to you and your family for the shortcoming in customer service which you experienced during your stay with us in November by not being informed of the restricted times for children in our Leisure Centre. Since reading your review I have spoken with the Managers of our Sales, Reservations and Front Office departments to ensure that all of our teams are aware of the operating hours of our Sanovitae Health & Spa facilities.
I believe that the confusion occurred as we had updated our operating times in this area in early November and unfortunately you were given the incorrect information at our front desk. We do have a listing of all our operating times printed in our in room directory and on our key card wallets but the correct information should have given to you when you made your initial enquiry and on check in.
The good news for the Kids is that we have extended our operating hours for children at the weekends to 19.00hrs.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed the food in the hotel and that your room was comfortable. I have spoken with our Accommodation Manager and given her a copy of your review highlighting that there was only enough towels for the two adults so I would expect that there will not be a repeat of this for any future guests of the Clarion Hotel Cork.

We do have a selection of games and Kids Packs for younger children available from our Guest Relations department at no extra cost and all of our team members in both Bar & Restaurant have been trained to offer these to any of our guests with children which we find works very well for us as it keeps the children occupied so that the parents can enjoy their meal times. As a City centre hotel we normally would not have a high volume of kids staying with us so we do not have the Kids packs in the bedrooms as standard but of course we will provide these to guest rooms on request.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for your insightful review and for bringing a few shortcomings to my attention. It is only through reviews such as yours that will enable us to provide and maintain the standards that you would expect from a Clarion Hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Clarion Hotel Cork in the near future.

Kind regards,

Brian Bowler
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed December 7, 2008

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend between the 16th and 18th of December 2007. It was my 21st birthday, so we decided to book the Executive Room. It looked spectacular. We recently stayed in The G in Galway, which is actually a five star rating, but we much preferred the interior of the Clarion's Executive Room.

The room was HUGE, with the biggest 'wall' being full floor length windows which really added to the ambience. The bathroom was also extremely large with a separate shower and bath (Thankfully...). The bath was big enough for both of us to relax in which was actually quite special.

Despite all the positives, I must admit that the air conditioning made me quite ill. I was fine when I arrived at the hotel, and the next morning I woke up with a dry throat and by the time I left on the 18th my tonsils were nearly closed. I ended up spending my 21st birthday drinking lemsips. If you ask me, they need to clean their air conditioning more regularly or change the entire system.

Unfortunately, as I was so sick I don't think I'll return to the Clarion for my birthday this year.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rainslicker

Dear Rainslicker,

I am delighted to see that overall you had a very positive experience at the Clarion Hotel Cork in December 2007 and thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to see that you fell ill during your stay with us but I would like to assure you and all of our customers that our Air Conditioning System is safe to use. This system is under a maintenance contract and is serviced on a regular basis. In fact in 2007 we received certification from the Camfil Farr Group in recognition of providing a quality of indoor air in compliance with European Standards CEN 779-2002/EN 13779 through the installation of Eurovent certified filtration.

As you did not specify a room number in your review our maintenance team has carried out a full check on the AC units in all of our Executive Rooms and no irregularities were found.

I hope that this will go some way in reassuring you that our systems are in good working order and adhere to the highest possible standards.

Thank you once again for taking the time for posting your review and for giving us your valuable feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel Cork in the near future.

Kind regards,

Brian Bowler
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed November 30, 2008

I have just come home from Cork following a 2- night stay in the Clarion. I have stayed twice before and my experience this time was excellent, as had been the case on the other two visits. Check- in was quick and my room request was met- the room was great, average size, clean and fresh decor with great views from the balcony. We ate in all 3 areas available, Synergie for breakfast, Kudos for an evening meal and the atrium lounge for snacks- all were of a very high standard and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I would say that the hotel has a great atmosphere, people coming and going, all age groups around and a very relaxed feel around whilst still feeling very 4*. I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Cork, love the Clarion!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2008

I stayed here recently with wife and 2 small kids. We had a family room, which had a king-size bed bed, single bed and fold-out couch, probably suitable for 1. We also had a child's cot.

Rooms are nice, modern and clean, and tastefully decorarted, just like user photos posted here A/c worked fine, no issue with getting a good temperature and noise insulation was good too. I had a great nights sleep (even with 2 kids!)

But the best element was the helpfulness of the staff. At checkin (where kiddy packs and minature teddy bears were produced for the kids). In the restaurant, staff were very helpful, as we did dinner in shifts, due to kids. Lots of help from the restaurant staff vis-a-vis kids meals, and more toys to occupy them. And in the leisure centre, staff were also very friendly and helpful. For what is really a city-centre, business hotel, I was amazed with the genuine niceness of the staff. Thanks to all the staff, well done.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family