“Great Location and Value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clayton Hotel Cork City

Clayton Hotel Cork City
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Cork
“Great Location and Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

I stayed here on business for 1 night and was pleasantly surprised on my overall experience.

Pro:
- Excellent location - centrally located near shops and restaurants
- Walking distance to two bus depots
- Blarney Castle is about 35 to 45 minutes via bus
- Clean, chic, and accommodating staff

Cons:
- WiFi connectivity was a bit spotty and dropped off a few times
- It seemed as if the Hotel shares out the use of the Gym to non guests. Not sure of the safety of this - but did not encounter any issues either.
- Other than the University and Blarney Castle - not too sure of other landmarks to visit that would make staying here more of a destination than a best viable option in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Von A

I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review following your recent stay at the Clarion Hotel Cork.

I am thrilled to learn that we managed to surpass your expectations, and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We had been experiencing issues with our complementary Wi-Fi, which has been rectified. Our Sanovitea Gym is available for members and hotel guest only - I am please that this didn't cause any inconvenience for you during your visit.

Cork City & County is surrounded by interesting & wonderful places to visit. For instance Cork Harbour is the second largest harbour in the world, after Sydney harbour. There is a fantastic tour available of the harbour which brings you to Cobh Village. Cobh was the final stop of the Titanic steamship back in 1912 , a wonderful memorial museum is located in Cobh and well worth a visit. A jewel of Cork City is the English Market. Recently, it was chosen by the Observer Food Magazine among the ten best food markets in Europe. Another popular visitor attraction is St. Anne's church, which is better known by locals at the Four Faced Liar due to each clock on the tower tells a different time - visitors can ring the bells and climb to the top of the spire where wonderful views of Cork can be found. Also located in the heart of Cork city, beside the Opera House is the Crawford Art Gallery which is a critical part of Ireland's cultural and tourism infrastructure, welcoming over 200,000 visitors a year. Admission to the Gallery and to exhibitions are free. Von A the list goes on, and I would have loved to have had our guest relation managers spoke with you while visiting so you could have embraced our entire city and county - perhaps an excuse to return.

Thank you again for your wonderful review and I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Warm Regards,
Darragh Brady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

The gentleman at the counter was very friendly and helpful. The hotel looked fresh and our room was quite modern looking. We enjoyed the access to the pool/sauna/jacuzzi. It was just a short walk to the centre of town. The breakfast was quite good though a little pricey. The beds were not very comfortable. The wifi was spotty at best.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Nicole O

Thank you for your kind review of your experience at the Clarion Hotel Cork.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. I was delighted to read your lovely comments about our staff and the service you received. We are privileged to have a hard working and dedicated team working here and I look forward to passing on your wonderful review to all.

In regards to our buffet breakfast, the price is €10 per person when included at the booking stage or at check in. However, if breakfast is not included then the charge increases to €13.50 on the morning. We do feel that €13.50 is a reasonable charge for the buffet breakfast we have on offer for our guests. I do apologies if you felt this wasn't sufficient.

We had been experiencing some difficulties with the complementary Wi-Fi, it has since been fixed and we hope this didn't cause any inconvenience during your stay with us.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and I will certainly take your comments regards the breakfast on board. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you all back to the Cork City in the near future. Thank you also for choosing the Clarion Hotel

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Just back from a stay at this hotel, we stayed for 2 nights. The hotel is fab!
The rooms were very comfortable with all the extras... robes, turn down service at night etc. We ate in the restaurant food was lovely and reasonably priced. Location is great and the staff are very friendly and helpful! I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Walshj16

Thank you for your wonderful review of your experience at the Clarion Hotel Cork.

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay from start to finish and were looked after during your two night stay . The entire team will be over joyed with your comments and this will be a great motivator for the busy times ahead.

Thank you for your kind words on our Restaurant, it brings great joy when guests immensely enjoy their meal.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you all back to the Cork City in the near future. Thank you also for choosing the Clarion Hotel.

Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed here overnight when we went to see a concert, hotel put a courtesy bus on which was a nice surprise. Room was fairly standard but comfortable enough. Best parts of the hotel were the bar area and the service which was fantastic! The staff couldn't do enough to help you. A great atmosphere in the hotel, loved it and would certainly stay here again

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear LE127

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor and indeed for choosing to stay with us recently in Cork City.

Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our hotel, it was a delight to read your review. We are fortunate to have an outstanding team here at the Clarion Hotel Cork, and I will be certain to forward on your comments. I delighted you took advantage of the courtesy bus to Live at the Marquee, I hope you also enjoyed the live music back at the hotel afterward the concert.

It means a great deal to us all to know that you will return to the Clarion Hotel and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Kindest Regards,

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

My wife and daughter stayed on Saturday, 5th July. Everything was fine until they returned to the hotel after the Christy Moore concert and attempted to get a bite to eat. They are both coeliacs' and had advised the hotel of same when making the reservation. When trying to order food from the limited bar menu and room service they were told that there were no gluten free products available and that the freezer was locked where I assume the gluten free bread was kept. The staff did not offer alternatives such as salads or a fruit selection. Given that Ireland has one of the highest incidences of coeliac disease I am surprised the hotel does not appear to be catering for their needs.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank John O
Dear John O

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay with us in Cork City.

I am truly disappointed to read of your experience. I generally receive positive feedback that all members of staff are efficient and friendly. I hope you can understand that I am shocked to read the response you were given after the Marquee concert. Please rest assured that this have been followed up with, and will not reoccur. You had kindly notified us of your family dietary requirements and as you highlighted it is a common request, which we are used to catering for. Please except my sincerest apologies for the standard of service you and your family received.

I am glad to note that everything else was fine during your stay and I am very grateful for your feedback.

I very much hope you would reconsider returning to us in Cork City. I would be most grateful if you would contact either myself or my guest relations manager Sonia when you plan to return, so we can personally oversee your entire visit.

Kindest Regards,

York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

City centre hotel but with a nice airy atrium and pleasant cafe and bar facilities. Everything was great for my stay but only after I moved rooms. I would have marked the hotel excellent for it's price but my first room faced the atrium and I thought it was a bit oppressive without natural sunlight. They also play music during the day which I personally can't stand. I was moved to a rear room facing out and it was much better. So check your room and don't be afraid to be asked to move. staff were very accommodating. had great sandwich in the cafe and good espresso. Avoided the bar, was all a bit too exciting with a dup playing..!

Room Tip: Check were you room is situated as this will affect your stay!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jon b

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and also, for taking the time to write your review of the Clarion Hotel.

I was delighted to read your comments in regards our Atrium Café & of course our staff. We are truly privileged to have an outstanding and dedicated team and I am delighted they located a second room for you, which you found comfortable.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to Cork City. Be sure to keep an eye on our hotel website for upcoming special offers

Warm Regards,

Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

We (4 females) had a great weekend in the Clarion in June. Our rooms were lovely and spacious with balconies overlooking the river. The hotel is very central which is great for shopping & sightseeing or just relaxing. The leisure centre was brilliant and the food & service in both the restaurant and bar was great. I don't think I have ever encountered better staff in any hotel I've stayed in whether on business or pleasure here or abroad. We particularly remember & compliment Sarah (manager) who was so helpful & available to guests. Valerie in Reception was great and thanks Aideen for our lovely manicures. We were not surprised that the hotel was so busy. We just had a lovely weekend!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anne460
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Anne460

I was thrilled to read that you and your friends were well looked after from start to finish. The entire team will be over joyed with your comments and this will be a great motivator for the busy times ahead.