“Perfect location for Central Cork”

Clayton Hotel Cork City
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Just spent 2 nights here. The hotel is located by the River Lee (& wasn't affected by the recent flooding) about 15 minutes walk from the centre of Cork. Parking in the underground car park is tricky to find if you're coming from the airport and a little expensive (in common with most city centre hotels.).

The hotel foyer is great for spending an hour catching up on emails and having a coffee and a cake. Wifi is free throughout the hotel and pretty quick.

Rooms are large, clean and modern. Bathrooms nicely done. My room was an internal view over the hotel atrium-not very private but pleasant enough.

The bar is comfortable. Staff are great. The breakfast is ok, though I've had better selection in the large American owned chains (eg holiday inn.)

Overall, I really rated the hotel for its location and staff. I'll definitely use again if I'm back in the area.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear Stephen B

Thank you for detailed review on Tripadvisor. Delighted to know that you enjoyed your overall stay with us in Cork City.

We are very proud of our newly refurbished reception and atrium area, our new Atrium Café has quickly proven to be a success. In regards to our breakfast buffet, we offer a wide selection of both hot and cold breakfast options, I would like to know in more detail if you thought items would add to our buffet selection.

Your kind words about the hotel staff will certainly be passed on and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Clarion Hotel in the near future.

Darragh Brady

Write a ReviewReviews (2,522)

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had a weekend in Cork with friends and the Clarion hotel was chosen to stay in as our friends had used it before.
This turned out to be a very wise choice as it was a really nice place with a good restaurant which had food prices cheaper than lots of the pubs in the area and with really good rooms.
The hotel is right next to the river, which was a concern as the taxi driver taking us from the airport told us the river was forecast to break its banks on the night we arrived.
The rain was pretty much incessant during our stay, but at least we had a good room to go back to.
The hotel is well positioned for getting around, with the bus station literally about 2 minutes walk away.
Although it wasn't a cheap place to stay, I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Cork.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Clarion C, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear Kevin W

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. All feedback is appreciated and we strive to achieve a service that can be appreciated by our guests.

I am delighted to read you had an overall positive experience in the hotel, especially the location, your bedroom and the restaurant.

We do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Clarion Hotel Cork in the near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We booked with the valentine offer which was good value. The hotel had brilliant staff who could not do enough for you. The rooms were as expected, a bit corporate but had everything including a good hairdryer and iron and board. The bed however was very hard and uncomfortable. We had problems the 1st night as we were woken by the couple next door rowing at 3.30. This went on for over 30 minutes with items being thrown at the adjoining wall and lots of bad language. I eventually had to call reception who came straight away and spoke to the couple. Next day the duty manager offered to move us in case it happened again, but after checking the couple were only there 1 night. She showed real concern and came to see us the second morning to make sure all was ok. Breakfast was brilliant with lots of choice and the best bacon and white pudding on offer. The reception area was great for relaxing with comfy sofas and a nice relaxed atmosphere. Overall I would recommend this hotel as very central for everything and outstanding staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Stephen B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Clarion Hotel Cork.

It is encouraging to hear that the service you received from our staff exceeded your expectations. They work hard to ensure that each guest has a positive experience and I will be sure to share your kind comments.

Please except my apologies for the disturbance from the room next-door, I am happy to read that the issue was dwelt with quickly and professionally. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Cork, next time we can offer you our mattress topper to ensure you have a comfortable sleep; we have mattress toppers to soften the mattress for any guests who find them hard.

I certainly hope you find that excuse to come back to Corcaigh soon

Kind Regards,

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Want to impress , well pay a visit to the Clarion penthouse for that wow factor - enjoy the panoramic views of Cork City , indulge in a deep luxurious bath , cuddle up fireside and sleep soundly on super comfy beds - Very welcoming , understanding & courteous management

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sanssoucis13

Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. We love to hear from our guests and your kind comments will certainly help to boost our moral.

We all hope to welcome you back to Cork this year

With good wishes,

Reviewed February 13, 2014

My partner and I visited Cork for 1 night and stayed in the Clarion. First of all this hotel is in a great location, very convenient to the city centre. Our room was nice, very clean and warm. A car park is also located under the hotel. We also noticed the hotel is very close to both the train and bus stations (in particular the bus station). We dined elsewhere in the city for our evening meal but we did notice there was music playing in the bar when we returned to the hotel & all in all there seemed to be a nice vibe in there. Breakfast was fine, we were seated quickly and there was plenty of choice in the breakfast buffet (Hot and cold food, cereals, Juices, Breads). We did however have two issues with this hotel. Check in time is 3pm so we arrived in Cork early and spent the day in the city. We returned to the hotel at 4.20pm to be told our room was not ready. We were asked to wait a further 10mins, which we did only to be told our room was still not ready. We asked to speak to a manager to see if anything could be done as we had an early dinner reservation to get ready for. The girl at the reception was very nice, but could not tell us when the room would be ready. We were eventually given another room and managed to arrive at our room for 5pm. However the manager on duty never actually addressed us and spoke to us through the receptionist only which I thought was highly unprofessional, given the fact it almost 5pm and our rooms was not ready!
However, I have to give credit where due to the hotel; they provided breakfast free to us the next morning for the inconvenience, which was very nice. However I don’t think it’s acceptable for rooms not to be ready at check in time.

The second issue was that we booked a Spa treament, however a week before our arrival we got a phone call to say, the spa was double booked at the time and we would have to change out appointment to much later in the day. This was not a major deal, but still an unesscarry inconvenience.
Aside from the check in issue and having to cancel our SPA appointment, no other complaints with this hotel, we would most defiantly stay here again on a return visit to Cork, however I would hope the hotel is more organised next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outside window, some rooms face into the centre of the hotels seating area an...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YelloSunshine
Clarion C, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear YelloSunshine

Thank you for taking the time to post your Tripadvisor review. I appreciate your honest and detailed feedback. As you know it is only through continuous response from our guests that we can strive to meet and improve our guest expectations.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed our location and our bedrooms. However, I am disappointed to hear about the inconveniences. Please except my apology for these avoidable incidences. I will be personally reviewing the procedures in place at reception and the spa, and ensure these are rectified without delay.

I would like to thank you once again for choosing The Clarion Hotel Cork and should you decide to return to Cork I would be delighted to be your point of contact and to ensure that you experience a stay of comfort, that proves this is not our usual standard.

Kindest Regards,
Sonia Cribbin

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

This was my second business trip to cork and the second time I have stayed in the clarion in cork.
I stayed in a double room on the corner which was huge!! The room was clean, Staff were friendly, bar had a great atmosphere. I will stay here again. I had a problem with my reservation being split and it resulted in me being locked out of my room as if I had checked out after my first night but the front desk resolved this quickly and professionally.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear evpgdogg

Thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor. Your kind words are certainly a boost to us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and the facilities in the Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cork City. It is always great to see guests returning.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I recently spent three nights at the Clarion Hotel. This was my second stay at the hotel in the past year. In terms of the positive, the hotel's location is very good and its staff very friendly and competent. Breakfast was quite good and the rooms are also fairly comfortable.

In terms of the negative, the beds in the rooms are quite bad. My "queen" was two single beds pushed together. This often works, but these beds were cheap ones that had developed substantial sagging in the middle. Consequently, you couldn't take full advantage of the "queen" size. My business associate said that the bed in his room was in the same condition. The pillows are not particularly comfortable either. My last issue is that the wake up call religiously came 15 minutes late each morning, even after I suggested to the front desk staff that they needed to adjust the clock on the device that places those calls.

For my next visit to Cork, I think I'll try someplace else.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Clarion C, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Saltrat

Thank you for taking the time to post your Trip advisor review. We appreciate your open and honest feedback. This feedback is important to us. I am truly sorry that we do not measure up to your expectation in a number of areas including the bed and the wake up calls. Rest assured I will follow this up with the housekeeping team and front office team with a view to improving this service.

Please except my sincerest apologies for the experience you received whilst staying with us. I would like to speak with you to reiterate my apology & to discuss your experience further. Please contact me via email or telephone; scribbin@clarionhotelcorkcity.com or 021 4224900.

Saltrat I look forward to hearing from you

Kindest Regards,