“Good Hotel with an Excellent location, but somewhat overpriced”

Clayton Hotel Cork City
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Midland, Michigan
“Good Hotel with an Excellent location, but somewhat overpriced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

A few weeks ago, my wife and I stayed at the Cork Clarion Hotel for four nights. In general, we enjoyed our stay, the location is excellent, close to the pedestrian area downtown, and just a couple of city blocks away from the bus station.

The hotel and the rooms are very modern, well furnished, relatively large, immaculately clean. It has all the services you expect from a four star accommodation. We liked very much the complimentary computers available near the front desk. I should add that the staff was extremely nice and helpful.

The hotel however is not without some issues. The breakfast was somewhat limited, with not many ingredients, not enough fresh fruit, and not everything well prepared. Another issue on this was that the breakfast room is relatively small for the number of guests, and it got very crowded at times.

This hotel was the most expensive of all six hotels we stayed in Ireland. The usual customer there seems to be not visitors but business people, and that perhaps explains its high rates. My recommendations on this would be, that if you do not need to be too close to the center area of Cork, perhaps you can find better overall value accommodations. Also, some people may find attractive the Spa services available. In my case I tried to use the Sauna, but I found it always crowded and did not try it at all.

I would like to add that was here at the Clarion that I first encountered an aspect that seems to be common in Irish Hotels. It is now common to find hair dryers wall mounted in the bathroom at many hotels, and we did find them so in two hotels during our trip. But at the Clarion, the dryer was outside the bathroom and it had a UK type of electrical plug, but, t there was no electrical outlet of the same type in the bathroom. You have to use the dryer somewhere outside. Initially, I found that odd , but later on, I realized that it seems to be something common in Ireland.

At the end I must say that because of its high rates, the Cork Clarion hotel is perhaps not a Hotel that I would recommend to visitors, unless they insist in being close to the bus station or to the pedestrian area of the city, most likely better accommodations can be found in the city.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Atrium could get noisy at times.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
guestrelations101, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Josebenjamin,

I am delighted that our staff was extremely helpful and friendly during your visit. Customer service is a high priority in our hotel. I was disappointed to hear about the negative issues you encountered. Please accept my sincere apologies for any shortcomings and I would welcome the opportunity of discussing it in person with you. Please do not hesitate to contact me via email guestrelations@clarionhotelcorkcity.com or on 021 4224900.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback which I look forward to having the opportunity of discussing with you. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again to the Clarion Hotel Cork.

Valerie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Turkish first
Edgewood, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here in April 2013. What a great stay! I checked in late and expected an inside room or a room without a view. I ended up walking into a room with a beautiful balcony overlooking a river. The room was beautiful! Very updated, comfortable bed, brand new bathroom, spacious. Good location. Close to everything but far enough to avoid noisy crowds. The staff were very helpful and gave me a bottle of water when checking out. I would absolutely stay here again next time I'm in Cork.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
guestrelations101, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear KYtraveler79,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your very positive comments about our hotel. It is great to hear that it exceeded all of your expectations, and that you liked our rooms. I know all the team read the reviews so they will be delighted to read yours.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Clarion soon.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for two nights with friends for a hen weekend. I'm not sure why anyone would stay any where else in cork! The location is perfect, the rooms are lovely with great rates to go with! I would definitely recommend getting up for breakfast and having dinner in the yummy asian restaurant.
The only downside was some of the staff weren't very friendly and the spa treatments were awful. But that wouldn't put me off going back!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Jencal22,

I am delighted to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to hear that you enjoyed breakfast and your meal in Kudos. I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback regarding the staff and your spa treatments, this feedback is vital to us so we can improve our service and standards on a continual basis.

I am looking forward to welcoming you and your friends back again in the near future. We would love for you to join us on Facebook, in which you will receive our exclusive special offers, enter our competitions, and receive regular news updates.

Dublin, Tipperary, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was my second time at the Clarion within a year. The first time I was at a conference and I wasn't actually staying in the hotel. The conference room was stuffy and too warm but apart from that it was fine...from an accommodation perspective. The same can be said for the bedroom I had this time. It was fine. A little too warm and no windows to outside but the bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and spacious.
The food on both occasions however was a completely different story. I go to a lot of conferences in lots of different places so most places, unless they're particularly bad, or particularly good tend to merge. The food provided at the Clarion last year stood out for being so awful. The sandwiches on Day 1 looked like they'd been left out in the sun for a few hours. Most people politely declined. The soup was unremarkable. On Day 2, faced with the choice of sun-ripened sandwiches, most delegates chose to eat elsewhere.

This time however it was a leisure trip and we ventured to Kudos bar to meet with friends. The service was slow, the beer was warm, the glasses were systematically dirty and the food was overpriced and terrible. Two people ordered the goats cheese and roasted pepper bagel. They were informed that there were no bagels left but were happy to accept brown bread as a substitute. One sandwich arrived with a couple of small blots of cheeses dotted in the centre of the bread. The other was just a whole slice comprising rind and rind alone. No cheese at all. They were returned to the kitchen with an explanation. The replacements were marginally better. 6 of us ate there. None of us enjoyed the food and it cost over €100 between us. When you're paying that amount, the least thing you expect is green lettuce, not brown.

We returned to the bar later for an aperitif. It was now extremely loud with 3 hen parties livening the place up. After my earlier experiences, I thought I would be safe with a glass of prosecco but it was warm, flat, originating from a screw cap bottle and priced at €9.50 a glass. I had given up complaining. We had dinner in a restaurant. It was lovely.

I didn't have breakfast. 2 of my friends did. They regretted it as it was overpriced and not very good.

On departure I was asked if my trip had been ok by the friendly person behind the counter. I explained that the room was fine but the photo of the food was going on trip advisor. She called her manager but the manager clearly didn't care and just said she'd have a word with the kitchen staff.

If you stay at the Clarion in Cork, eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a room with a window to the outside as the air conditioning isn't very good in the atrium fa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sionnachfionn
guestrelations101, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Sionnachfionn,

I am very disappointed to see such lack of service you received during the two previous visits you had with us. Thank you for your valuable feedback and I would like to speak to you further as we take these issues very serious.

As reviews are posted anonymously on Tripadvisor I do not have your name or contact details to use as a reference so would ask that you contact me by emailing guestrelations@clarionhotelcorkcity.com or calling the hotel directly on 021 4224900.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and I look forward to speaking to you shortly,

Valerie
kilkenny ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

stayed for 1 night with a group of friends for a hen party the hotel was fab all our rooms were amazing especially the hen suite overlooking the river very lively bar and we had dinner included in the kudos bar which was excellent. giving us all bottled water nx morning was a very welcome extra it was badly needed as u can imagine will definitely b back

Room Tip: all the rooms we had were excellent
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ciara69,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your kind review and for sharing your experience with us.

I have already passed on all your very positive comments onto all the team here in the Clarion. I know how pleased everyone will be to hear that their efforts to deliver an exceptional experience have been appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel Cork in the near future at which time I will personally ensure you all have another fantastic stay.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on a business trip and was a real very good experience. Summarizing:

- Excellent location
- Good service and very friendly staff
- Very nice room in terms o size, clean, good toillette
- Reasonably priced breakfast
- Good in room internet connection

Only one small complain: both nights, when I wanted to call guests service to ask for a wake up call, took me ages to have someone responding my call. The second night, I left the phone ringig for more than 3 minutes. When I was decided to walk down to reception, as a kind of magic a person picked up the phone, but it seemd to me that the staff was not even paying attention to internal incoming calls.........or maybe was too late in the night.

No too much to add, and totally recommend it if on business in Cork.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Alvaro E,

Thank you for your wonderful review and I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay. It is great to hear you found our facilities of such a high standard.

However, I am disappointed you received poor customer service in regards to the internal attention of incoming calls. I truly value your feedback. Customer service is a very high priority in our hotel and this issue will be dealt with utmost importance.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel Cork in the near future.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Spent one night at the Clarion hotel and it was very enjoyable.

Bedroom lovely, bright and big. Was happpy to a hairdryer in the room too.

Food was good and the atmostphere in the hotel bar excellent. As I was leaving the hotel before breakfast started the very kind staff had a breakfast pack for me to take away.

I would go back

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DublinLinda
guestrelations101, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Linda,
Thank you very much for posting such a positive review, it is great to hear that you were able to receive breakfast before you travelled onwards, these things are so important to us, to know that our guests can expect a high standard of service and receive it. We are delighted to know that you would stay with us again in the future and we look forward to welcoming you.
Warm regards