“satisfactory”

Clayton Hotel Cork City
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed March 21, 2008

Booked a 2night stay at the Clarion in February, thankfully I had gps as it was quite hard to locate the hotel, and when we did there isnt a loading bay outside the hotel to pull into so I could run and and ask where the carpark was, eventually found it after taking a few wrong turns! Hotel is in the city centre, about a 5-10min walk to all the shops and restaurants. Bedroom was clean but lacked any personal touches, staff were friendly and hotel was nice but souless. Ate in the hotel restaurant one night, I had a nice dinner but my friends dinner was over cooked and then when she called the restaurant manager over and asked for him to take it back, his reaction was far from polite. Checked out the hotel spa- I would call it more of a beauty salon, not very plush or luxurious. All in all, my stay was ok, wouldnt be rushing back to the Clarion in a hurry!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank andysmurf85
There are newer reviews for Clayton Hotel Cork City

Reviewed March 18, 2008

First time in Ireland, although my husband had visited Dublin once before. We opted for this very modern accomodation, with calming atmosphere and easy access to explore Cork by foot (we did not have a car). We opted out of breakfast at the hotel, and instead visited the English Market one morning and a café the second morning.

It was great to have access to a pool/whirlpool/sauna during our stay. The locker rooms however could have used additional attendants, as the floors tracked in some of the inclement weather.

Better to get rooms high up for better view over the river [phone ahead to request] – some room overlook the atrium which means you shouldn’t forget to close the curtains at night…

It’s the small touches that were appreciated, and nowadays does not take much for a hotel to offer free access to a computer and printer [as well as free WiFi]. Not that we spent all of our time using their pc, however, it sure made it easy to print our airline boarding passes (oh yes, and check for an update on the latest strike by the airport union – fortunately resolved!).

Note that we stayed for three days, without a car. Travel to/from the airport was straightforward by bus, as was visits to Blarney and Kinsale. Don’t miss the Lewis Glucksman Gallery at UCC – the architecture is stunning. Restaurant recommendation: Fenns Quay restaurant, for some fine Irish fare (book in advance).

• Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank J&MDAV
Reviewed March 15, 2008

Hello,

Ill keep this review short as there isnt anything negative to say about it. We were staying in Cork for one night during a trip to Ireland for our 1st wedding anniversary. I requested a room with a nice view if possible and they pulled out all the stops. We were in room 105 and although it was on the 1st floor it was fantastic. As it was a corner room I think we may have had more space. I have read a review that it is like all new hotels and is sterile but I think it is great. As for a romantic getaway we loved it. If you are going to Cork I wouldnt hesitate in recommending this hotel to you. The staff were top notch and were very helpful in every encounter with them. The meals were very nice, dont know a out the Kudos restaurant because we didnt eat there but Synergie restaurant was great. We had breakfast in our room and it was hot, on time and very tasty. The Minibar is pricey but I have stopped in hotels where its more. I must admit though whos going to pay over 2 euros for a kitkat! Thers an iron & board, safe & hair dryer. The toiletries & hot drinks selection are good & theres a few bottles of water thrown in for free. All in all it was a great trip made that bit better by the quality of this hotel & its staff. By the way if you drive to this hotel there is a car park to the rear underneath the hotel, it cost 7 euros for the night, if you park in the multistorey the chap on the counter said it would cost over 20 so make sure you go to the hotel one first.

Thanks.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Taffy&Yorkie
Reviewed March 5, 2008

Stayed here on a business trip for a few days. It’s your typical, modern, soulless hotel. It’s very clean, and the décor is nice enough, but there’s absolutely nothing special about this hotel and I definitely wouldn’t stay here for a romantic weekend.

The rooms were a good size, and very clean. However, I had a room overlooking the central atrium of the hotel, so there was no external view, and it got a bit noisy at night as people were thrown out of the hotel bar.

The breakfast was good with lots of choice. The food in the Kudos bar was also good, but the same cannot be said about the food in the main restaurant, which was appalling. The meat was overcooked and dry, the vegetables were overcooked and soft, and the white wine wasn’t cold enough.

The main advantage of the hotel is its proximity to the centre of town. Instead of eating in the Clarion, I would recommend people try some of the great restaurants in the city centre. And you will get a much better (and cheaper!) pint in some of the more atmospheric pubs in the city centre too.

Overall, this is a good hotel for business trips, but that’s about it.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed March 4, 2008

after a great trip in cork i feel compelled to write this reveiw as i have often before about other establishments but not bothered.Great hotel clean efficent and quite orderly,we had dinner in the restaurant as recommended by reception and told of a new menu expecting your typical hotel fare we aimed for the restaurant with a wim of doubt,but i kid you not this menu was wrote simply and executed to a serious standard of cuisine ! i think foodies of cork should watch this space!!!.our german waitress was a bundle of joy breakie was good too big selection and actimels yum........ all n all a enjoyble experince with the gig in th opera house being out of this world and a beautiful spacious room ..........top marks

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 2, 2008

A spacious, very modern and clean hotel within easy walking distance of the centre of the city. We stayed in the hotel with friends for a weekend. The rooms were large and comfortable, and the staff very friendly. The restaurant / bar were comfortable.

We couldn't fault the hotel, but it is almost clinical and lacks warmth or a soul. Ideal location for business, or a trip where you want a hotel as a convenient base. Not a location for a romantic weekend

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 28, 2008

This hotel is best described as functional, it does its job.

I understand that it is a 4 star which I say is slightly overated, I would say a good 3 at the most.

Nice location (overlooking a river) and walking distance to town, but it really was nothing special, compare it to say a Malmaison and the Mal wins everyday hands down.

I am trying to think of something interesting to say about the hotel but am really struggling.

Unlike previous reviews I found the hotel staff very freindly and useful.

Breakfast was dissapointing, buffet style with mounds of bacon and sausage sitting in their own fat, once again good 3 stars I have been too will serve breafast to you on a plate.

I should imagine that this is one of the better hotels in Cork looking at what was around it and it was full of American and overseas business travellers like myself.

To summarise, clean, functional and over rated - sorry!!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business