“The first visit, but not the last!”
Review of Iyer's

Iyer's
Ranked #10 of 688 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I had heard many great things about Iyer's, and was not disappointed when I crossed the river one lunchtime last week to try it for the first time. The café was small, but the two staff members behind the counter filled the space with their friendliness and ease, and also their knowledge of the food they were serving. It was clear that many of the people eating alongside me, or coming in for take-outs, had become regular customers as a result. What was a dosa, I asked the waitress? I was given a full and helpful explanation, and there was no doubt that she knew what she was doing - and cared about it as well, which makes all the difference.
Service was swift. I chose an onion dosa, which is a pancake made from fermented rice, wrapped around red onions and spices. It was presented rolled up on a long plate, with sambar sauce and two varieties of chutney arranged along it in small serving dishes. From the first mouthful it was light, crisp, and completely filling, the coconut chutney adding particular zest without ever overpowering the flavour. I was conscious of eating it slowly, to make this experience last.
I followed that up with pistachio kulfi. There was no shortage of dessert options at Iyer's, where the space around the till was crowded with deliciously inventive cakes and cookies, but kulfi was something I had not tried before. When it came it looked like a small portion of ice cream, but it soon discovered that this dessert had a richer taste and deeper texture than the Western variety. Again I found myself savouring it.
Leaving Iyer's, I felt my hunger had been satisfied without any sense of having over-eaten. The bill came to €9.45, but a dosa on its own would have been an excellent lunch, for just €6.95. In short, it will not be long before I cross the river to Iyer's again, to be pleasantly surprised by all that it offers.

1  Thank Scorsese

Reviewed June 30, 2014

This is a lovely little place with good honest food that doesn't break the wallet and everytime you pass the aromas will awaken your senses..

3  Thank SeaMhuis
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Superb lunch today at Iyer's in Cork - vegetarian/ vegan Indian street food for the soul. The Samosa Chaat was Michelin standard... similar in complexity of flavour and texture to that which we have at Ballymaloe House at the Supper Club guest cheffed by Ananda Restaurant. Vegetable samosas with chickpea curry, red onion and pomegranate relish, rice puffs and something like bombay mix. Spicy, aromatic with fresh coriander. It was truly sublime.

We also had delicious masala dosas and mango lassi. Last time we enjoyed the thalis. Yet to have anything sweet there, as we always gorge ourselves on the savouries... but they too sound sublime - chai brownies, pistachio and rosewater cake... and most things are gluten free too.

This is my favourite place to eat in Cork. Hoping they'll get a bigger premises soon!!!

2  Thank Lucy P
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I love Iyers and I've been here many times. The freshness variety and flavour is outstanding. I have been here day and on Thursday evening around five or six times and I've never had a bad experience. The only disappointment is when I can't get a table because it's so popular...any chance of a bigger restaurant opening?
Well done Iyers truly amazing food.

1  Thank ViajeCork
Reviewed April 26, 2014

There is not many south Indian restaurant in Cork, this restaurant has absolutely no competition.
Having said that, they serve authentic South Indian taste in their dishes. Prices are reasonable.Service is OK

What I don't like is:
They almost every time run out of food
They don't have much sittings(12-14 max!)
They don't take cards