“Nice restaurant good for dates..”
Review of Oysters Restaurant - CLOSED

Oysters Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Oysters - Cork City's First Dedicated Seafood Restaurant using local suppliers in all of its dishes, both from the land and the sea.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I liked this place we had a voucher from living social so we used that! Had some Amuse Bouche that came in a glass it didn't really taste of anything but looked good, cold pasta with some sorta tomato sauce, then for starter i had the organic salmon nice dish and well presented, The chowder was small in portion and from what i had of it i liked, the main course was however disappointing possibly because i ordered the rib eye of beef it lacked flavour and had very little gravy it wasn't anything special considering it was an extra 5 euro the person i was with ordered the hake which was lovely though. Deserts were really lovely we ordered a pear tartan and a tasting plate of deserts which i have to say were lovely. As we had a voucher i think it was good value and overall the meal was lovely, i do think the prices are fairly hefty though there early menu is 35 euro but then again it's for four courses. Nice place probably will return at some stage.

There are newer reviews for Oysters Restaurant

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Let me say at the outset that this is a seriously well-run establishment with all the ingredients of a first class fish restaurant firmly in place. I was greeted efficiently and with genuine warmth by Donald. The decor is tasteful, the staff members are well-trained, the table settings are elegant and the whole place exudes well-thought out expertise and there is much to be admired overall. Maybe there might even be another Michelin star for Cork City in the offing!

And they were not short of customers either. Given that this is not a cheap restaurant it was pretty well full on the Thursday night that I was there.

Unfortunately I have a problem, and it is MY problem. I do not like fusion cooking in general and in particular I have an aversion to this fashion particularly where fish is concerned. For example a starter dish I had was described as Crab and Prawn Salad. The crab was served plain without adornment and shone out as a result but the prawn meat was mixed with a number of different tastes which did not pay it any compliments and which masked the delicate and subtle taste of the langoustine. As a second starter I had the "Oysters Bisque" which was really first class. The waiter said to me when I ordered that I was in for a real treat. I was a little sceptical but in fact he was quite right. The generous chunks of a variety of fish meat came on the plate with the intensely flavoured liquid coming in a separate serving jug which was then poured on to the dish at the table: a nice touch. This was a prawn bisque of substantive flavour. This unified dish exuded class. I was going to have the Dover sole as a main course but by the time I had come to order, all the sole had been snapped up. A pity indeed.

The "amuse-bouche" was not a happy choice of tastes to be effective in that role. It was a peppers melange which was a little too spicy to be a satisfactory lead in to the meal. It was far too robust and unsubtle for that.

I ordered a carafe of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc which I felt was somewhat overpriced for a wine of this type even in such a prestigious establishment. However it was a good choice to go with my fish.

Overall, while this is a serious food establishment obviously much appreciated and frequented by the local populace, there were a little too many mixtures around for my taste. It is not really a good idea to do fancy things with fish, especially shell-fish which has such a subtle flavour and delicacy all of its own.

This is a very fine restaurant to which I hope to return in the near future, but I will be looking out for more simply cooked non-fusion items next time. Perhaps I might even call up in advance and place my order for "simpler" shell-fish: I have never regretted doing so before.......

Reviewed January 30, 2013

My meal was part of a business trip and paid for by the sponsoring company. Upon arrival I was escorted to the area designated for our large group, approximately 40, and given a glass of wine whilst we waited for all to arrive. Once seated the menu's were brought out with a limited choice of 3 of each, starter, main and dessert, presumably a limited menu at the request of the company sponsoring event. Both starters and mains had 2 fish and 1 meat dish.
I opted for seafood chowder to start which was excellent, the fish was firm enough to pick up with a fork and the potato was soft, I would happily have eaten it again for main and dessert, followed by plaice, squid and gnocchi, also extremely tasty.
staff were very professional and managed to deliver all courses to the whole party at virtually the same time.
I would certainly go back there even if only for the seafood chowder.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I bought a voucher through LivingSocial for a four course meal in the Oysters restaurant, in the building of the Clarion Hotel, Cork, where formerly Augustine's was situated. Having mourned Augustine's departure, we were delighted with the meal we were served in Oysters, with great attention to detail and grace int he presentation. Even at full price this would be a wonderful deal - it is part of the early bird offers and you will not regret sampling the chef's delicious seafood! It was beautiful enough to be photographed... Go, while you still can!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Absolutely had a great time. Very impressed with food and service. Highly recommended.................