“Would recommend, great location, good value, friendly staff”

The Metropole Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Geneva, Switzerland
“Would recommend, great location, good value, friendly staff”
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Stayed in room 216 which is a junior suite, the room was lovely and quiet spacious, comfy bed and black out curtains which i love! The hotel room was clean and well looked after. Brilliant location too within walking distance of everything in the city.
Bathroom looked good but the glass shower / bath door just let the water all over the bathroom so the floor was always wet.

Breakfast was nice with breakfast room looking over the river Lee.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Dingle, Ireland
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I only stayed for a one night so I was only really looking for somewhere to lay my head. The room itself was large, clean, but very dark and overlooked some flat roofs. Our sleep was slightly disturbed by a car/shop alarm going off for two hours in the morning but thats the risk you take when staying somewhere so central to the city. The staff at the desk were friendly but trying to get a drink in the bar was a nightmare - although their was a wedding going on and they were criminally understaffed. The only other downside is the parking which is in an adjacent multistory car park which is like a rat maze. Good luck if your are driving anything bigger than a matchbox.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Didnt expect much from this hotel as got such a great deal for the weekend but was so pleasently surprised. the room was lovely and so spacious with a big bed, table and chairs, dressing table, tv, lovely bathroom as well as a good hair dryer and iron. such a comfy bed and black out curtains which i love! the hotel room was so clean and well looked after. brilliant location too within walking distance of everything in the city. breakfast wasnt included in our deal so we went down one morning to get it intending to pay for it with cash but it was way too expensive at 16 euros for a cooked breakfast. went in to the city instead and got the same thing in a gorgeous outdoor cafe for 7 euro. All in all though great hotel would definetly reccomend and would stay here again. brilliant deals to be found online if you book in advance.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LindySh
England
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Good part of the city, friendly staff, free broadband, no parking facility though secure location close by, food ok, breakfast was a bit ropey. Would stay at again maybe....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Leeds
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Not much to say about the Hotel - it was fine, but could do with a bit of tlc rooms again were fine but the shower was naff. Also why is Cork seemingly covered in dog dirt ? never seen so much on pavements - right outside the Hotel. Locations good

All in all I wasnt offended by the Hotel but also not overwhelmed would stay at The Montenette if I go again

Cork is far far too expensive

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Co.Offaly
Reviewed June 19, 2010

This Hotel is in an excellent location in Cork City, Approx. 2min walk from the train station with the shopping district around the corner and across the bridge. The outside of the building is gorgeous very ''grande'' looking, the lobby is large and bright and you are met with a smile, With the MET bar to the left of the lobby,There Is not alot of space in the bar but its cosy and they serve good food
at a reasonable price(compared to the hotel across the road)Myself and my Boyfriend stayed in room 210 for 3nights, My first impression of the room was that it was small but it was a place to rest our heads, It Was A Very dark room NO natural light at all!! We Had to keep the lights on all the time, the reason for this was when we opened the window there was no lovely view facing us but a big grey wall, and looking further out the window metal ''shoots'' and pipes of some sort. The Bathroom was bright and clean. The room consisted of a Bed,Two Lockers, A Dressing Table, A Small Stand-alone Wardrobe, Tv, Iron + Ironing Board, A Kettle,2 cups and a few sachets of tea.Fair Enough We Only wanted it to rest our heads,But We didnt sleep one wink during our stay, as the room was so small there was no air in it and even with the window wide open no air was getting in with that wall, and When we had the window open there was a constant noise which sounded like a refridgerator. The next day i asked for a room with air con. or a fan for the room the 2 women at reception said such and such a person was busy but they would ask her if there was a fan for the room, But the night went on and still no fan and no sleep in a very hot room.The next morning(the day before we checked out) before we went out I went to reception explained that I hadn't slept for the past 2 nights and that I had asked for a fan and didn't get one and she rang the office straight away and kept her promise upon our arrival back that evening a small fan was waiting, Better late than never but at least I got 1 nights sleep. If You are going to stay in this hotel go for a package with the breakfast included,yummy breakfast and its sets you up for the day,there are plenty of lovely affordable restaurants within walking distance including-Pearl River,Princes Street Cork, The Portions are huge and the food is very tasty(the early bird for €19.50 is an excellent deal). We Took A trip to Fota Wildlife Park, €4.60 on the train great day out, All In All the hotel is very clean, good food, good service,friendly staff, you would be better to ask for a room with a view when booking or checking in and if they put you in room 210 ask to be moved if you want a comfortable nights sleep.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ritterlove
Ireland
Reviewed June 2, 2010

I stay at the Gresham Metropole every two weeks with work and I don't have any faults apart from the bar/restaurant/room service menu/s, very very limited and a bit pricy so I never avail of that apart from one occasion, even tucking into a slice of their Chocolate fudge cake which was the best I ever had-no joke!

Ok, There are a variety of rooms, the rooms at the back of the hotel seem to be the unrenovated ones and less soundproofed so ask to be at the front of the hotel overlooking Mc Curtin Street. On arrival you are faced with a beautiful neo gothic facade, tower bay windows on the corners and old fashioned windows. The lobby is huge and very spacious and quiet so its great to sit around with a few friends with a nice drink after a days shopping (work in my case). I love the reception staff, they all know me now and almost have my key ready for me when I appear at the door, they have a big smile which is so welcoming after being in my job all day where smiles are scarce, they whisk me through check in and the odd time have been upgraded to the executive rooms and junior suites (will get to that later). The rooms are nice and quiet, spotless, really soft mattresses and fabulous duvets and cale television. Roms are equipped with minibar fridges, you must have to request for them to be filled mines always empty but its great if I want to keep some water or chocolate in there.. Being a girl, hairdryers are very important and I know as I spend my life in hotels, you never find a bloody review that tells you what kind of hair dryer there is because I hate the wall mounted ones which wouldn't dry a feather! The Met have Remington hair dryers complete with a concentrator which is fantastic for me....less to pack :) Bathrooms are immaculate in every sense of the word, huge mirrors and fluffy towels, not forgetting the rainfall showers!!! Some rooms have a jazuzzi bath and one room I stayed in had jets on the shower walls for a back massage.

There is a pool, shared with the Leeside Leisure Centre next door (access through the hotel lobby by the riverside cafe) but you have to pay €5, you get a towel and a swimming cap which you keep. I am a member of a ym at home so I don't avail of that service, plus it's a kidney pool and is does be a little cold....so I spend my time in the Jacuzzi:)

Now..........every girls dream...the lavish suites. I have stayed in three, Lastnight I was in the Lady Lavery Suite, room 305 and its very very chic, eau de nil and gold is the theme, an 18th century bed with the SOFTEST mattress in th world, silk scatter cushions. You can feel like a princess and sit in front of a mirrored dressing table and a Venetian mirror and watch tv on the huge plasma screen resting on top of this big marble and walnut (?) cabinet which has the minibar, and glass doors with your kettle for a cup of tea to have while you dress. There is even a dining table! The bathroom is all grey marble with a venetian mirror, marble sink bowl and a jazuzzi bath/rainfall shower. This is my favourite room!

The Jack Lynch suite (I hope I am not confusing with the 4poster bed suite) is slightly art deco in feel big superking wooden bed with a huge chandelier overhanging. The decor is black and white, large wooden wardrobe, dining table and a jacuzzi bath, nicer for the gentleman who likes luxury.

Now the best for last is the room with the 4 poster bed is a 4 room suite, lounge, bedroom, walk in wardrobe/dressing room and bathroom. The lounge room is raspberry and lime in decor, huge big cozy couch with the rope ties on the corners, and lots of scatter cushions, plasma screen TV and a large drinks cabinet :) the dressing room is lovely, a safe, hairdryer and floor length mirror inside its kitted with wooden fittings, quite snazzy. The bathroom is sandy marble lauge corner bath tub with a jacuzzi and fluffy towels. The bedroom has ENORMOUS venetian mirrors a lovely dressing table and a radio/alarm clock and the most spectacular bed.I WISHED my fiance was with me to share it. Huge mirrored lamps, fabulus, perect for a bride to dress up in or that very special weekend away in! I want to stay in that room again!

Breakfast is yummy, I cant wait for the night to pass to have Breakfast, all self service orange juice, sparkling water, selection of cereals, selection of teas with little bodum teapots and a variety of breads. The only fault is that the 'healthy' breakfast hasnt much of a selection, a bowl of fruit yogurt, a natural one, some fruit salad of timmed pineapple, I would love to see pots of yugurt rather than a bowl. There is a huge selection from the fry up buffet too, quite yummy but naughty :) the breakfast ladies, especially Maria are so lovely and attentive, they're like Mummys to me, one lady I am not sure of her name, potters around to the tourists, so attentive and asking about what they had seen on their travels, she always makes sure I have everything I need, if I'm having a small breakfast she reminds me that it wont last me the day and I should have some more bless her!

I love this hotel, it is like being in a home away from home. The lift drives me crazy as it takes forever though :)

If you want a nice local bar nearby, may I sugest the Shelbourne,(exit the hotel about 100 yards to your left), the barman is nice and chatty, and the drinks are great!! Sit out in the sun in the summer too!

Everyman palace theatre is a couple of doors down with great productions so check that out, they have early bird tickets for €15.

Hope this helps!