“Very comfortable and great location”

The Metropole Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Cheshire
“Very comfortable and great location”
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Having returned last night from this hotel I find it hard to believe I was in the same one as the previous two reviewers!
We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist at 10.15pm on Thursday, the entrance is very nicely furnished and welcoming, our room 201 wasvery clean and beautifully appointed. It was a corner room overlooking the back of the hotel and was incredibly quiet - I'm a really bad sleeper and had no problems at all.
We didn't eat there but did have drinks and found no problems with any of the staff we met, in fact just the opposite, all from bar staff to cleaners had time for a smile and a laugh.
We found a small cafe just up the street called Cafespresso where they served really nice cooked breakfasts or for something lighter, Cafe Cork just round the corner going towards Patrick Street.
The hotel is in a great location, we went to the theatre on Saturday night which is about a minute away, ate in town a couple of nights which is less than 10 minutes walk .and on the last night at Greenes in the hotel opposite.
I honeslty couldn't find any fault with the whole week-end, we had a brilliant time.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Dublin
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I stayed here with friend in a double smoking room as they had no twins left, fisrt the size of the room was only slightly larger than the bad so basically it was the size of the bed. Also the room had only been painted that morning and the smell was quite strong, i rang down to be moved. The staff was very helpful with this. Also the room did not have tea and coffee making facilities.
Also the website boasts a resturant and bar food service. The resturant was closed and the bar food was extremely poor quality. i would never recommend this food to anybody. Also the food service was very poor, if you sit in a certain area of the bar they just dont come back, we were thinking of ordering dessert but changed our minds when we waited 25min for someone to come collect our plates and we ended up going to the bar to pay. And it wasn't because they were pack, the place was barely half full.
The only thing i can recommend about this hotel was some of the staff were very helpful and friendly. But this is the only thing the hotel had going for them.
It should be made known that the hotel does not have it's own parking. They have a deal with a car park next door the costs 7.50 per day and closes at 8pm on a sunday. Also it costs over 100 euro to get your car out after 8pm and if your late getting there (ie try to park after 8pm on sundays) you cannot gain access to the car park.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed October 14, 2009

I was dissaponted so much from the very first arrival to the hotel untill the end of it. First of all, there was a problem with connecting to the interent in our room. I rang Reception and they told me they will send a porter to have a look at it for me. The porter appeared after 20 minutes of waiting, looked honestly speaking , a bit handicapped and completely didnt knwo what to say or how to fix it. After another 15 mins of waiting a young manager came up, I think shane was his name and was trying to joke or something about it , checked the plugs (which I already did it while waiting for him 35 mins then!). He said he will try to fix it from the panel downstairs. Was waiting another 30 mins, rang reception twice, nobody rang back or came up. We already were waiting 1,5 h so didnt want to waste beautifull weather and went out to town. The next day at breakfast there was the worst experience I had ever with hotel food, Beautiful view at the River Lee, but apart from that nothing nice! Waitresses in age of 70 years old, totally looked as if just woke up and didnt manage to find comb in the morning, food overcooked, no taste whatsoever, dirty tables all around, total mess and ancient tills they have there in the restaurant! 16 euro per person for breakfast a little bit too much, especially for that no quality food there. Moreover, the windows are so old that they wont close fully and you can hear every conversation on the street and cars!
On the check out Kelly I think the receptionist was very mean to us and ignoring other guests, just incapable of ansering the phones and dealing with guests at the same time, was also shouting across the lobby and totally had no manners whatsoever . The way she spoke to us on arrival and on the check out was unaceptable, like; u dont understand or what?' etc.
Terrible hotel!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank C0rkFan
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed October 12, 2009

This is my own opinion.
It all started the week before we were to arrive, the girl who made the original booking called to confirm and was advised by the person on the other end of phone that we didnt have one. She was advised to phone later in the day to check with someone else. - If the person 'covering the desk' for the receptionist does not know how to use the system then just take names and numbers, don't say 'you don't have a booking'
The booking was for approx. 5 rooms which were down as ''The *Mr Blog* Party''
When we arrived we eventually checked into two of the rooms ( the others were arriving later that evening )There were two receptionists at the desk when we arrived. One told us that she wanted to keep us all close to one another and that we would be put on the 4th floor. This lady then continued to check us into our room on 4th floor and as we were leaving the lobby i realised that the other receptionist had checked the other girls into a room.....on 3rd floor. We brought this to their attention and they rectified it (with attitude)
When we got to our rooms it turned out that we had gotten the largest of the rooms compared to the rooms of the other girls in our group.
When we pulled the curtains of our room later that evening we discovered one corner wall of the room was BLACK with mould. It was extremely bad to be fair. One of the girls booked in for reflexology and she said it was brilliant and very reasonably priced - €45 for an hour.
We had a meal in the bar that evening. We asked a girl for a round of drinks and she had to be 'reminded' 3 times that we were there before she got them.
The other group from our party arrived around 9 that evening and went to check in. It was a hen weekend and the bride to be was in the group that arrived late. We had bought surprises and a few presents for her down town that afternoon and we had them hid in our bedroom.
We stayed in the bar while the girls were checking in. Next thing we get a phone call, the receptionist had checked the girls into our room...which we had already checked into that afternoon. We raced up to the room hoping she had not found the stuff. When we got to the room we could not get in because the reception had disabled our key cards when new ones were issued to the other group.
We got the cards re-enabled and returned to the bar where we stayed til 3am.
Oh! They ran out of Tia Maria which was being drank by two for our party.
When we got back up to the room that night/early morning I wanted to charge my mobile so i went looking for a socket that i was hoping would be at the side of my bed / locker.
I reached down and felt something sharp.....i went to investigate and found 2 large lumps of glass which resembled remains from a glass which was obviously shattered on the locker by previous guests. It was extremely dangerous. The next morning i took them down to reception as i did not want to put it in our room bin in case house keeping got injured by it when emptying the bins. The receptionist advised me that she would let them know i had found it ? ? ?
We had a restaurant down town booked for the Saturday night so we werent in the hotel bar at all Saturday. Bodego's is where we had our meal - WELL WORTH THE VISIT.
There was 8 people in our group and we had starters, mains, shared desserts and Tea & Coffee along with 3 pitchers of cocktails and it worked out at €44 each.
Sunday morning we were checking out and with having paid on check in we were thinking that they should have no problems with this task.
We were advised by the receptionist that we had parking charges for our car to the value of €15. Now considering we had been chatting to this girl on check in about our train journey i thought it odd.
It was once again other people in our group which incurred these charges but as it seems to be the done thing in that place, they mixed up the rooms.
I know this review may sound petty but when the girls were checking in on Friday night they obviously had to have told the staff that they had a car since they got the discounted rate so in doing this wouldnt u think that the staff would have had to record the car details on their room rather than ours....I'm sorry but it was the final straw when this happened on check out and i said it to the receptionist that we were not happy at all and she simply shook her head, refused to maintain any form of eye contact, repeatidly huffed and sighed to herself while i was speaking and cut me off by saying 'yea yea yea' and took the room keys from the desk.
We ventured to the leisure centre Sat morning for a quick few laps.
We had to pay €5 for which we got a swimming hat and towel. But in order to get a locker key you were asked for forfeit your room key and sign to say you've done so....?
In the pool we began our laps and my friend suddenly realised her mascara was running so we swam to the side of pool where she removed her cap (which was her own) and began to clean her face of black streaks, within a minute the life guard ( i use that title lightly) approached her and demanded she put her hat back on, we were up on the side, out of water. She giggled and said 'yea its just my mascara....and' He cut across her and said 'yeah! Well u have to wear it now!' and stormed off ...We thought to ourselves - What a [--] ! !
We shortly left the pool in disgust and ventured to the showers......enter at your own risk. In dire need of updating. Each cubicle had an old white / once white shower curtain which looked extremely un-hygenic. We continued on into them any way but my shower ended quite quicky after i turned on the shower. As the running water began to travel down the drain we were met with the most disgusting and powerful stench of an odour which resembled sewerage.
I couldnt stick it and decided to complete my shower in my bedroom.
I also work on reception is a hotel which is a standard 3 star but in comparison to what we experienced during our weekend, I now view our hotel as the Burj Al Arab of the Midlands.

Breakfast was not toxic but also by no means extravagant.

Sorry Metropole but having viewed this review do you not think that something should have been said or done on your part to explain the lack of respect towards guests. We continued to show it towards your staff during our stay, regardless of their behaviour.

I am not sure whether the staff are rude or whether it is just lack of basic training but whatever it is I could not see myself enduring that experience again willingly.

The hotel itself would be perfect for those wanting a bed. Somewhere to sleep and have a wash without the frills.
Also would be good for a group wanting somewhere situated close to shops...again without the frills.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Val-BAYR3
South Wales
Reviewed October 8, 2009

While visiting Cork we stayed in the Gresham Metropole which was relatively easy to find having initially gotten a little lost making our way into the City. Irish road signs!!! There is no carpark directly immediately underneath the hotel but they do have some deal with a multistory right beside the hotel which was priced at €7.50 for 24 hours. Our room was €99 for the night which was OK. We had asked for a no smoking bedroom which was a genuine non smoking room (as opposed to some places that still reek of cigarette smoke from the previous night) and the room was generally comfortable. The check in lady was pleasant and welcoming.

When we got up to our room it was clean and there was a pretty funky double shower with big wide shower heads and also a couple of side sprays going on which we were delighted with ...we leaped into it after being stuck in a car of a few hours , unfortunately while one shower worked fine I could just not regulate the temperature in the second shower as it changed from freezing to scalding and then back again.....how frustrating!! Tthe thing had a mind of its own!!! After about 5 minutes of messing around with this thing I decided to give up and just wait my turn. Oh well

We went out for a meal in Isaac's restaurant which was almost directly across the road (how tidy is that !) which was OK and quite reasonable, I had carbonara starter / steak /shared chocolate mousse while the missus had goats cheese / duck [delicious] /shared chocolate mousse washed down with a bombastic red, it came to around €100 which wasn't to bad considering what we got.

A quick drink in the Shelbourne pub across the road (kind of nondescript) led us back to our hostelry, the bar in the hotel looked nice through the alcove but we were tired and skipped the (final) nightcap and we had an uninterrupted nights sleep. The room was a little warm but hey I could have gotten my lazy backside out of bed to open the window if I was that bothered. Breakfast was the standard fry that you get, nothing special. Hotel is very central though which is a big plus.

All in all it was a comfortable hotel, nice and central, the service was OK, I would give it a thumbs up.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Dear Gresham Hotel

On behalf of the International Transport Workers' Federation, we would like to send our sincere appreciation to all of the staff of Gresham Metropole Hotel, Cork.

From our arrival to our departure you did so much to welcome us and assure our comfort as guests.

During our stay we held a three day seminar at your hotel and can not thank you enough for all your hard work and assistance from all the friendly and highly professional staff.

We had to make several changes just prior and during the seminar, yet everything ran smoothly, thanks to the you.

Our organisation holds many meetings across the world and the staff at Gresham Hotel have been one of the best ones and we are very grateful for your assistance to make our seminar a successful one.

Once again, thank you the fantastic effort you put in.

Kindest regards

ITF

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Wirral
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Lovely hotel very smart furnishings etc. Very comfortable room, well furnished and very clean. Helpful staff, great location for shopping, restaurants etc. Lots to see in the city and stunning countryside a short drive away. Only downside, didn't think the breakfast worth the money, but great Spar shop opposite with hot baguettes etc. We were lucky enough to see a good play at the theatre a couple of doors away. Couldn't fault our stay. Got an excellent room rate booking direct with hotel. Car parking a short walk away, reduced rate for hotel guests.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple