“I was expecting more from this famous Cork landmark”

The Metropole Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
“I was expecting more from this famous Cork landmark”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I have wanted to stay in this hotel for many years and my opportunity came this week. It used to be the boarding and alighting point for the old Slattery's bus service to London thirty something years ago. My first impression of the reception was not awe inspiring but it still had a sense of former opulance to it. Check in was a bit slow. To my horror I was told that wifi was not available in bedrooms - only in the bar and reception area. I adjourned to the bar to do my evening e mail work but was later told by a fellow guest that some rooms have wifi and others don't. It transpired that my room did. The hotel need to sort out their offer in this respect. Parking was a bit messy too with the need to present a stamped ticket from the hotel at the kiosk in the morning (it's not the hotel's car park). It would have been fine if the kiosk was manned but 20 minutes later I was on my way when the attendant returned. The rooms are a bit small but only to be expected in a hotel as old as this. The bed was not particularly comfortable but the curtains were real blackout types with no light ingress to wake you up at too early an hour. Breakfast was on the good side of average though the cold buffet and the hot buffet were quite a long way apart. The toast maker was beside the cold buffet so OK if you wanted toast with cereal but not if you wanted it with your hot breakfast. I'm not keen on standing around in a queue to make my own toast in a hotel anyway. It's a very handy hotel for the city centre and extremely local to some very quant little Cork pubs. A short walk across the river takes you straight into the heart of the city and the jollity that lies therein. All in all it's a nice hotel and chances are I will stay again when I'm in the mood for a drift around one of Ireland's most beatiful cities.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank John M
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear JohnM,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and tell us of your experience. Thank you for your comments and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the whole team. Complimentary WiFi is available throughout the Hotel in all our bedrooms, conference centre and public areas. I would like to apologise for any misunderstanding regarding the WiFi. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Gresham Metropole in the near future. Please do not hesitate in contacting me directly when making your next booking with us.
e-mail: roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Great price, superb rooms, lovely food and friendly staff. I will definitely be returning.
Pool and gym access is a nice bonus too.
Nicely situated to the local bars and city centre.
I have to write 200 words so heres an extra sentence.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank ManOfSteel85
Dear ManofSteel85,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and tell us of your experience. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the whole team. Please do not hesitate in contacting me directly when making your next booking with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Gresham Metropole. Kind Regards
e-mail: roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com
Kildangan, Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Just spent a night at this hotel,cannot rave enough about it,friendly staff,great food and a wonderful atmosphere,kids had a ball at their leisure center,location excellent less than a 5 mins walk into high street.Booked a night away there for December when I returned home.
S.Beckett.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Samantha G
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Samantha G,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and tell us of your experience. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the whole team. Please do not hesitate in contacting me directly when making your next booking with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Gresham Metropole. roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com
glasgow, scotland
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I read other people's reviews on this and wonder what their aim is in life?!

Stayed here for 3 nights over St Patricks weekend - got a fabulous deal on lastminute.com, considering the prices everywhere else was charging.

Location is 100%, exactly where you want to be - book it for this if nothing else.

Don't understand the reviews about cleanliness, I actually noted how clean the room was.

We had a room at the back so no view but I would have accepted traffic noise to get a view over the river.

Breakfast was ok, staff were all friendly, service was swift. Didnt use the leisure centre but not sure I would have been too upset about filling out some forms....!

Its not the best hotel I've stayed in but why should that warrant a complaint? Would recommend for sure.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Plastikjan,
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Our room was tiny, loud, and dirty. The bathroom seemed like it hadn't been cleaned. When we complained to the front desk the quickly moved us to a even louder room facing the street which never stopped.

Breakfast was including in our room rate and it was also a disappointing. The fried eggs were like rubber and everything was blah.

We will not be returning and would not recommend this hotel to friends.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sonia M
Dear Sonia M,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations and I would be grateful if you would contact me so we may discuss this further.
roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com
Regards
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2014

As a regular visitor to Ireland, but first visit to Cork. The hotel is centrally placed for visiting the city. The staff were polite and friendly. Our double room was clean, tidy and big enough for the both of us, being without much of a view didn't bother us in the slightest. The food, especially the bar meals were excellent and good value. Would stay here again if visiting Cork.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Keith J, Thank you for your comments and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and please do not hestiate to contact me directly when making your booking. Regards Roger Russell General Manager roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here the other night, a truly terrible experience that the staff couldn't care less about and a manager, roger russell, that doesn't care. Room had stains on the sheets, a dirty carpet and a strange damp smell. The noise at night was upsetting. When I went to complain they shrugged their shoulders and said 'managers not here' . When I went to complain in the morning he left me waiting for fifteen minutes before dismissing my complaint with 'there has been soft refurbishment' before rushing away. Soft refurbishment? By the looks of it this was done pre millennium. Ridiculous. Roger and all his staff need to take some customer relations beginner courses. I'll never go back here and would recommend others do the same.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ciara M
Dear Ciara M,
Thank posting your review. I was disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations and rather surprised at your comments. I am afraid that there must be some sort of misunderstanding and I would be grateful if you would contact me directly so that we may discuss further? roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com
Regards