I have wanted to stay in this hotel for many years and my opportunity came this week. It used to be the boarding and alighting point for the old Slattery's bus service to London thirty something years ago. My first impression of the reception was not awe inspiring but it still had a sense of former opulance to it. Check in was a bit slow. To my horror I was told that wifi was not available in bedrooms - only in the bar and reception area. I adjourned to the bar to do my evening e mail work but was later told by a fellow guest that some rooms have wifi and others don't. It transpired that my room did. The hotel need to sort out their offer in this respect. Parking was a bit messy too with the need to present a stamped ticket from the hotel at the kiosk in the morning (it's not the hotel's car park). It would have been fine if the kiosk was manned but 20 minutes later I was on my way when the attendant returned. The rooms are a bit small but only to be expected in a hotel as old as this. The bed was not particularly comfortable but the curtains were real blackout types with no light ingress to wake you up at too early an hour. Breakfast was on the good side of average though the cold buffet and the hot buffet were quite a long way apart. The toast maker was beside the cold buffet so OK if you wanted toast with cereal but not if you wanted it with your hot breakfast. I'm not keen on standing around in a queue to make my own toast in a hotel anyway. It's a very handy hotel for the city centre and extremely local to some very quant little Cork pubs. A short walk across the river takes you straight into the heart of the city and the jollity that lies therein. All in all it's a nice hotel and chances are I will stay again when I'm in the mood for a drift around one of Ireland's most beatiful cities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the finest of Cork City Centre Hotels, The Metropole Hotel in Cork is just a short stroll from the many excellent shops, boutiques, theatres, galleries and of course the business district of Cork, making it an ideal location for Cork City Hotel breaks and business travellers alike. During your stay in this superb Cork city hotel, you will be accommodated in one of 112 tastefully decorated bedrooms, equipped with all necessities to ensure a comfortable and relaxing stay.Part of Tifco Hotel Group, The Metropole Hotel is a 3 star Cork City Centre Hotel designed to cater for the every need of the business professional requiring a hotel in Cork City, from our business rooms, event facilites and suite of twelve conference rooms through to the complimentary Wi-Fi internet access offered throughout the hotel, you will find plenty to make your stay as thought provoking as you would like. All guests staying at The Metropole Hotel, can also enjoy complimentary access to the Leisure Centre. Leeside Leisure is a White Flag Awarded Leisure Centre with superb facilities, which include a 20m Swimming Pool, with three pool areas, Jacuzzi, Sauna, Steam Room and a fully equiped gym with cardiovascular and weights area. External memberships are also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Metropole Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Gresham Metropole Cork Hotel Cork
- Gresham Metropole Hotel Cork
- Gresham Metropole Cork
- Metropole Hotel Cork