“PERFECT FOR OUR TRIP”

The Metropole Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We went to Cork on a Christmas shopping trip and last minute decided to stay over and make a night of it. Popped in to the Gresham Metropole and got a room, 70.oo including parking (ya parking is slightly down the street in a public car park, but no inconvenience) The hotel is perfect for a shopping trip, 2 minutes to the shops. Receptionist and bar staff were all welcoming and friendly. Didn't opt for the breakfast. The room and bathroom were small and a bit dated but immaculately clean, the bed was very comfortable and we had a perfect sleep. I would most definitely stay again, if I planned a longer trip I would upgrade to a larger room. However for us on this occasion it was ideal,

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ann O
Write a ReviewReviews (2,132)

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Great value hotel in an awesome location to the city center yet far enough removed to have a very good nights sleep. Staff both friendly & informative on where to go eat/socialize.

No faults with the swimming pool, clean and cared for.

Breakfast on par with every other good hotel.

I've stayed repeatedly over the years and will continue to do so.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I stayed in the Gresham Metropole Cork during my Ireland trip for one night.

Let me start with the positives - Very good location, right across the bus station, overlooking the river, 2 minutes walk from the high street and shopping centre, good food at the restaurant. The staff were freindly and helped us in planning our day in Cork (since we only had one day). They kept our luggage safely in the cloak room after we checked out and wanted to do some sightseeing in Cork.

The best part was that the bus to Dublin (Aircoach) starts from right in front of the hotel, so if you are travelling by bus you need not move around with your luggage. The hotel also has a nice swimming pool and a good gym. Wi-fi was fast and free.

However, the room was extremely small with hardly any space to move around..even though it was a double room. The bed was smaller than an average queen bed..so I did not personally like the room. The breakfast was ok..buffet for both hot and cold..quality was average.

So other than the size of the room, everything else was good.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Stayed two nights in Dec. 2013 at this hotel. Very nice hotel, with a very good location close to train station and downtown. Staff at front desk were always very friendly, cheerful and helpful. Room was of a very good size and nicely furnished. Only negative thing was that there was no safe in the room.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed at the Gresham Metorpole for one night during a business trip to Cork. Its location is quite central and within easy walking distance of the city centre.
Parking is in a separate but adjacent building for a 24 hour fee of €7. Considering the hotels location and that parking is difficult I had no issue with the fee.
Hotel reception is dated but check in was friendly and efficient and I was quickly checked in. I had booked a standard double which was fine for one night. The room was small and clean but adequate for one nights stay. Bathroom was large and everything was as it should be. Only draw back I had with the bathroom was the shower head could do with being replaced as the water came out at an angle.
There is a very good leisure centre in the hotel with large pool and well equipped gym.
I didn't eat in the hotel due to time constraints.
One aspect I didn't like is that there is only one elevator and in the morning it was very busy. After a 10 minute wait I carried my bags down the stairs.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dazzphelan
Reviewed November 24, 2013

After reading some of the reviews on here before going to Cork I was a bit dubious whether to book this hotel or not. Its location is really good, the room was average but clean. As someone commented on here the bathrooms are a bit dated but it was usable. Breakfast was OK and was always plenty on offer. All the staff we had dealings with were cheerful and helpful. My only gripe would be that when managers have problems with staff members they should not reprimand them in ear shot of the guests. It wasn't nice to hear and was embarrassing for the staff member as well.
Also it would be nice if the guests could control the heating in their rooms instead of being centrally done as our room was far to hot in the night so we had to sleep with the window open.

Room Tip: Room 325 at the back was OK for us. Didn't hear any noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Feltzy110
Reviewed November 22, 2013

An unpleasant receptionist 'greeted' me and this set the tone for my stay. I was given a poky little room. There is nowhere to put my clothes so they just have to stay in my suitcase. The bed cover is stained. The bathroom door needed brute force to open it, and there is no heating at all in the bathroom despite an outside temperaure close to zero. A sign next to a switch says 'electric towel rail' and I got quite excited when the red light came on but alas the only towel rail in existence is a flimsy, non-electric excuse of a towel rail that is bloken. The 'hot' water in the bathroom is tepid. The whole place has such a sad air of neglect and dinginess that I cannot bring myself to eat here. The leisure centre looks good, but the hoards of people using it make swimming in a straight line hazardous.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!!!
Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business