“AAA members be aware”

The Metropole Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Cork
“AAA members be aware”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were disappointed with this supposed 4 star hotel in Cork, and admit we are spoiled Americans. However, some of the hotels on our Irish vacation have been great, but this is one to avoid. After unloading our car on the busy MacCurtain Street, and hauling our luggage up some stairs to the elevator after checking in (nobody to help) we went to our room which at first appeared roomy for a historic hotel. We were happy to have the normal rooftop view because it is quieter than a street view. At check-in, we asked for allergy-free, non feather pillows and were told they were not available. We also went down after seeing the bath had no face cloths and were told they do not supply them. No tissues either. The room had old 70's style furniture and the bed is small. My wife, who is about 5'-2" said this was the first time she slept and her feet hung over the edge. The bed foundation was very creaky and noisy. The room was clean, however, and bathroom not so bad. Breakfast was adequate. The location is good with two very good restaurants, Issac's and Greene's.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WarRLorr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Killarney, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed here on Saturday night. There were 2 couples. We were just up for the night. The Gresham Metropole is a nice hotel. It was ideal for us, it being so central, as our husbands went off golfing for the day and we were able to walk to the city. The rooms were fine. As someone else said in a review, maybe a bit dated, but they are ok. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast on Sunday morning was perfect. Everything was hot and we had a great choice. I would certainly go back and would certainly recommend this to others.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and please do not hestiate to contact me directly when making your booking.
catskills
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during the heat wave in July 2013. The hotel has no air conditioning and the room I stayed in had no ventilation. The small fan provided was inadequate. Service at the front desk and bar was good. The fitness room is small but ok. I would recommend it in cooler months.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
bucharest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

i stayed a lot of times in this hotel and is always my first choice if i have to visit cork.the hotel is in a great location you can just walk anywhere from it to the city centre, the hotel staff is always very helpfull and friendly and always ready to help you.
the rooms are very nice and very clean, they are a very good value for money and you have free acces to the internet.
i think that is a very good hotel in the city center if you want to visit the city or if you are in a business trip.

Room Tip: the rooms located on harleys st are good and the ones have the view in the inside yard are very quie...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Roscommon, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Had one night in the gresham metropole while i was visiting family in cork. Its a lovely hotel with very friendly helpful staff. I will be honest, it does need a face lift. The rooms are clean & tidy but dated. Apart from that i had a very pleasent time at the hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank anne j
Wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

I always stay at the Metropole when in Cork on business - perfectly suits my needs. Staff are very friendly and efficient - any issues that have arisen when I've stayed there have always resolved quickly and without fuss. The location so close to the train station is excellent. The rooms in fairness aren't massive (some can be very small and not up to date in terms of flat-screens TVs etc) but I've always found them clean and well presented. I find it good value overall though food is quite pricey. Wireless (always important!) is pretty good throughout though some rooms can be 'dead spots' especially those on the end of the corridors.

Its not a 5 star palace (sorry guys!) but it has bundles of character and it ticks all the boxes for a business traveler like myself. I'm happy to return there whenever I'm in Cork city and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: Tell the staff what you're looking for in a room (e.g. quiet, good view etc) when booking. Fro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Invercargill, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I needed a central hotel in Cork as a stop over and this well suited my needs.
Excellent service, great breakfast, adequate room and bed. Good value for money overall.
Well located and did all that I needed without the frills. A touch of old splendour but outdated.

Room Tip: Suggest you check room before you commit. Wifi is dubious on upper floors.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo