The Metropole Hotel
  • Pool
Imperial Hotel(Cork)
  • Pool
2,212 results
All reviewscity centreeveryman theatremaccurtain streetcar parkthe riverlovely hotelleisure facilitiespatrick streettrain stationstaff were lovelybreakfast roomreception staffpubsleesaunaireland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is a hotel for someone on a medium budget who wants to stay close to Cork centre. £75 B&B pitches it a bit above the more motel like Jury's Inn and significantly cheaper than the various 5* hotels close by. It's more traditional than modern so it depends what you like. Bedroom was of average size as was the bathroom. Decor was OK and bed comfortable. TV was rather old. It was on the inside of the hotel so the view was a concrete wall and I think quite a lot of the rooms have dismal views which would be an issue for a longer than one night's stay.
The Leisure centre isnot a luxury spa but is better and bigger than you might expect in an older city centre hotel with a 20m pool.
Breakfast was typical for a 3 star hotel with nice coffee, which isn't always the case.
Staff were freindly and helpful.

Room Tip: A lot of the rooms have only views of walls.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Albermarle
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for the weekend while attending a conference that was also on in the hotel. We were quoted a special rate for attendees of the conference, however when we arrived there was no record of this rate and the hotel staff wanted us to pay a full rate which was very unreasonable. After explaining the situation numerous times to two members of staff, we got the original rate and were able to check in. We were also surprised we had to pay for two nights parking along with our room, a natural assumption would be that if youre staying in a hotel parking is free.

Once we got into our double room it was fine. There was a double bed, kettle, small fridge and nice bathroom. The only downside was our windows were facing out to the street and as they were very old windows, there was a lot of noise both during the night and very early in the morning.

The conference rooms were perfect size and you couldn't complain. The dinner provided on Saturday night was also very nice and the wine was a reasonable price.

Overall the staff were helpful and friendly too apart from the check in.

A 3 star rating from me, its a standard hotel and if you're paying a decent rate you're getting an okay return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris M
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I last stayed at this hotel over 10 years ago, and as I have recently had work requirements to visit the City of Cork I looked up my old friend the Metropole.

I managed to book a paid up front deal for just around 60 euro for the room, and I was not dissapointed. The room was spacious, clean, comfortable and fully equipped with all the essentials for a business trip. TV was flatscreen and had Sky TV on it so it was a home from home. I detected no discernable noise during my 2 nights stay, so ok, I could hear traffic honking the occasional horn but only because I was listening for noise based upon earlier reports..otherwise, I feel asleep soundly and wasn't disturbed.

The bathroom was large clean and sporting a good pressure flow from the shower...plenty of soap, shampoo etc and loads of fresh clean towels. For 60 euro this was a far better standard than some of the so called international brands that I can often pay 140 quid for.

The bar food was good, I couldn't try the restaurant as there wasn't a table available, but my steak was pretty decent and presented well, with impeccable service from the bar.

I like this hotel, I found it great value for money, and I will be back..hopefully close to the same room rate !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ken M
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed for one night in a family room (they only have one apparently). Room had one x double + 2 x singles, the double was the smallest I have slept in in a hotel. Bathroom was really dated with a shower you had to run around in to get wet, it was bad. Used the pool which is very nice. Breakfast was ok - not a great selection. All in all if you need to stay close to city ctr then the metropole is for you but if location is not an issue try somewhere else. All in all not very good value for the rate we paid.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments. I was disappionted to read that we did not meet your expectations. Could you please contact me directly so that we may discuss further?
Regards
Roger Russell
roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for just over a week. The room was cozy and clean, but a little small. The complimentary spa and pool are very nice. Some of the hotel equipment needs updating - the elevator is very small and slow, the TV in my room was out of this millenium. The staff was friendly and I liked the food at the bar. Anyway it was a great value for the price I paid.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Sekkinko,
Thank you for your comments and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the whole team. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and please do not hestiate to contact me directly when making your booking.
Regards