“Location is the Real Deal Here”
Review of Windsor Inn Cork

Windsor Inn Cork
Ranked #53 of 58 Cork B&B and Inns
skippyd89
“Location is the Real Deal Here”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I recently spent three nights at the Windsor Inn and must admit that I cannot add much more to what has already been posted. However, I will share some oddities I encountered. I book through a reputable on-line booking site, but was told when I arrived that the hotel was under new management and lot was being changed. There was to be no breakfast included. I was discount 50 euros for this, so my room was now averaging 33 euros/night. Ok, I thought. But then James told me the card machine was down and that I would have to pay in cash--which I grudgingly did, making certain to get a receipt. "You're at the top, and, I am sorry, there's no lift." So, I hiked it.

The room was spacious and relatively bright, but the window didn't open all the way. There was a TV and an en suite bathroom. The towels and bed linen were clean, but were never changed the three nights I was there. The carpet was a bit iffy, but I brought a pair of "hotel" socks along. There was only one workable electric socket, so to charge the cell phone or laptop, I had to unplug the TV. And, later, in the bar, I had to ask James for a glass for the room. And, only a half roll to toilet paper was available. There was central heating (but probably no AC in summer).

I travel solo and can put up with most situations. I have been in worse places and I have been in much better. What the Windsor does have going for it, which others have written about, is it's proximity to Cork's bustling city center. Across O'Connell Bridge is the Parnell Square Bus Station, where busses to Kinsale and Cobh can easily be had for day-trips (I went to lovely Kinsale for a day with time to see a play back in Cork that evening).

I hope James was correct about the new management as this place could be quite good if certain fundamental amenities were seen to. And if the credit card machine worked. Cork was a great city, a lot less touristy than Dublin, with a lot of music, historical sites, shopping, and energy. I will definitely be revisiting the city in the future; just maybe not the Windsor.

Room Tip: There is a bar at ground level so, even with stairs, higher may be quieter. Front rooms have the vie...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank skippyd89

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

WINDSOR INN CORK.. ..BED & NON BREAKFAST ACCOMDATION..stayed recently.. room 209.. window - broken handle.. window banging all nite.. room freezing.. heating not on.. no towels.. no sink stopper.. ceiling cracked, water dripping on to damp smelling carpet.. kettle dirty.. t.v. no stations, only radio.... breakfast.. a 20 cent box cereal & brown bread.. had to ask for tea.. ..BAR.. old cloth seating.. dull & outdated.. wouldn't recommend, really run down inn.. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED IF BOOKING.. DONT GO THERE.. TERRIBLE..

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Cork hotels

Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We were greeted by James who made us feel like we were at home, firstly. Next we seen our rooms which we warm, cosy, spacious, clean and comfortable.
Then we were given a very comprehensive description of where we should go and what we should see while in Cork!
THEN the next morning we got a tasty full Irish breakfast!
Thank you James and your team! You guys are awesome :)

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elaine K
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Ok I booked this B and B! And they had a special offer! Okay I thought the rooms are looking cosy and it's close to cork city! When we arrived the room was not really cosy! The carpet would have need a proper hover and under the bed was still crisps bag front the ppl who stayed in before is! All over the floor were small bits and pieces! There was a hole in the wall which was filled with filling foam glue which wasn't really looking nice! I don't want to start to talk about how the mattress looked like I think yellow wasn't a word for it!!! I actually stayed in a lot of hostels which were always cleaner and cheaper than this spot! In the evening I asked if I can rent towels! I don't know what they did but we had pints in the bar with an actually nice band and we came back after 2 hours and still there weren't any towels! This morning we opens the door and the towels were lying on the floor! A bit too late! I think even worse was that we got up in the morning and went to the bar were the breakfast was and there were still 2 people sitting from last night! Totally drunk and smoking in the bar! Was not a nice environment for breakfast!!! To be honest I wish I just would have gone to a hostel it would have been cheaper and nicer! It's a pity cause the pictures in the internet look actually nice!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LolaBrennt0406
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Stayed in room 201, big family room, private bathroom. Spent two nights in the bar downstairs, had the best time ever. Staff were brilliant. €20 a night and across the bridge from Main Street for shopping in cork. Where could you go wrong!

• Stayed December 2013
WICKLOWIRELAND
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I came back here after 3 years and can't believe the changes in the place.It was great then. Stayed in room 107 Friday 6th and Saturday 7th Dec 2013 up the top horrible room lots of stairs to negotiate which feel like they're going to collapse under your feet. No towels,soap,toiletries,grubby shower with very little power and 1 toilet roll and the breakfast has changed for the worst. You used to get a fine size cooked breakfast now all paying guests only get is a mini breakfast well that's what I got both mornings.
Most annoying thing for me is I saw people come in off the street get a much better breakfast than me and I paid 130 euros for my 2 night stay.
I just can't believe how bad it's gone.
One good thing the young lads are nice behind the bar.
but that won't be enough for me to come back.What a disappointment it's not even deserving it's 2 stars now.

Room Tip: If you must book here DO NOT TAKE ROOM 107.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BRENDANDOYLE_9
derby
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This hotel is located in the centre of Cork. The staff are friendly and helpful. You get a very good breakfast and you really could not ask for any more from the hotel. Its a budget hotel so its not perfect but its warm there's a clean bed and a bathroom I would stay here again and recommend it to everyone. The bar downstairs is lovely and the locals are very friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends