“great breakfast and super location”
Review of Garnish House

Garnish House
Ranked #3 of 59 Cork B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I had to visit Cork to give some talks and this location was great. The breakfast was filling and delicious. we were also close to many great restaurants and a 10 minute walk to the English market area.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,421)

Reviewed May 4, 2014

We have just returned from a two night stay at Garnish House. We booked a double room and were assigned a 'suite', in the annex in the Aban. The 'suite' can be more likened to a bed sit, with two single beds pushed together. The room was stuffy and due to the location of the accommodation at the very back of Aban house accommodation we had the vista of a car park which meant we had to keep the blinds closed at all times adding further to the dreary atmosphere of the room. On taking a shower the door fell off on top of me, poorly maintained. Bottom line was I didn't feel safe due to the location. The breakfast was great to be fair but that does not compensate for the poor standard of accommodation. Considering the River Lee Hotel. a nearby hotel was charging a 160 per night compared to the €120 we paid, I feel this place is overprice and overrated. We will not be returning.

Room Tip: Pay and extra €40 and go the hotel up the road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank majDublin
GarnishHouse, Owner at Garnish House, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Thank you for choosing Garnish House and for taking the time to share your experiences with other travelers. However reading your review was quite disheartening for the team here at Garnish.

On arrival you were given a complimentary upgrade from the standard double room you had booked to a one-bedroom apartment consisting of a bedroom with a king-sized bed, private en-suite and living room with kitchenette, which we thought you would enjoy, especially since we have recently finished interior renovations in this part of our complex. May other guests have, and do, and reading your comments about this accommodation was quite disheartening.

We are disappointed that you did not bring your disappointment to our attention immediately, as Garnish is pleased to offer a wide range of room types and sizes, and we would have instantly moved you to another room, availability allowing.

I can assure you that maintenance of our accommodation is a top priority, but occasionally situations occur over which we have no control. We can only apologize for this.

As you can see from our rating here on TripAdvisor and the wonderful sentiments the majority of guests have expressed about their time with us, your experience was not typical of a stay here at Garnish House.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to Garnish House so that we can not only meet your expectations but exceed them. Please contact us directly at info@garnish.ie should you wish to arrange same.

Warmest regards
Johanna Lucey
Owner, GARNISH HOUSE

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here about a year ago and really enjoyed ourselves. The people were nice, the food good and the rooms comfortable enough. Sadly our second visit had a few letdowns. The people were still nice although we didn't get quite as good of treatment, the hotel was a bit busier. The food was a total letdown. My wife ordered the Eggs Benedict with salmon and when the arrived at the table we knew something wasn't right. The eggs appeared to have been poached some time before then the hollandaise put on and then put in the over or under a heat lamp. The eggs were fully cooked through and the hollandaise was cooked, hard and chunky. I had a bit better luck with the French Toast but I got an egg on the side and it also was cooked through. The room we had wasn't in nearly as good of shape either. The bed was very firm, the shower sprayed in many directions, the paint in the bathroom was peeling, and there was significant mold growth around the base of the shower. Someone also went a little crazy with the caulk trying to fix all these issues. Overall, for the money it was still not a bad stay but not excellent by any means.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

We were delighted to welcome you back to Garnish House recently but were disappointed to read that on this occasion, Garnish did not meet the high expectations we set for you after your first visit.

Happily Garnish is always busy as we welcome many new and returning guests, and we are sorry if you felt this took in any way from your customer experience. I was glad to read, however, your positive comments about our staff.

We have a chef here each morning who prepares each of the 30 dishes on our famous breakfast menu, cooked to order, and if any of them were not cooked or presented to your liking, we wish you had let a member of staff know as we would've been only too happy to rectify the situation for you immediately.

According to the date of your review you stayed with us after we recently completed our room renovations (including brand new bathrooms throughout), so I would most concerned about your comments about your accommodation. Please e-mail us at info@garnish.ie with the number of the room you stayed in and more details, if you can, so we can rectify any outstanding issues immediately.

Warmest regards
Johanna Lucey
Owner, GARNISH HOUSE

Reviewed April 23, 2014

I am staying here while visiting my son who is attending UCC which is right across the street. The tea and pastries upon arrival were a nice touch along with the wonderful staff.

The breakfasts have been great and very popular. Because of this you may have to wait a few minutes if the place is full. Waiting has its own benefits due to a beautiful sitting room, tea, coffee and pastries. I'll hang out there and relax anytime. My son joined me for breakfast and they were very accommodating (there is a charge for guests, of course).

I admit that I have a little pet peeve about things that are broken. My first morning I noticed that the hand-held shower mount was broken, so I had to hold it the whole time. Not a big deal, but one of those things that bothered me. However, the next morning it was magically fixed and perfect. Things break all the time. I appreciate that the staff a)noticed and b) fixed it without being told. Nice, and Thank You!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We arrived early expecting to be put off from checking in, but instead were welcomed warmly and served tea and a basket of scones, croissants and breads. Our room is a decent size with a king sized bed. The TV is small, but we didn't come to Cork to watch TV. The bathroom has a huge bathtub with jacuzzi jets!!! After being on vacation for almost a month, walking for hours every day- that jacuzzi was fantastic! And then there is the breakfast. This B&B goes above and beyond any of the places we have stayed in! A large selection of cooked to order meals- I had a savory pancake, a sort of crepe filled with spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes and cheese, which was delicious. I wanted to eat more- there were cereal, fruits, breads-but I couldn't eat another bite. It is a bit of a walk into the city center but that is negligible. There is parking and we did not have a problem finding a spot. There is a fairly large staff, and all of them were very friendly and helpful. So glad we found this place in Lonely Planet and on Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor to the back. It was over the kitchen so we could hear some noise b...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janny45
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We arrived early not knowing what to expect , been ages since we stayed in a b&b, but was met at the door with cheery smile and the offer of a cup of tea. The tea came with cakes, scones, soda bread, jams and it was only 10.30 in the morning. The room was lovely with an enormous bed and breakfast the next morning was amazing, porridge, a fry up of immense proportions, pancakes and tea and coffee galore.
I would highly recommend this b&b

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alan130960
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stayed overnight in the Garnish - family of 5

We got there late - 10ish - and were met with tea and scones - nice touch.

Breakfast in morning was great - make sure your room rate includes the breakfast

Rooms - clean and well decorated - bit dated though. TV's didn't have much choice.
Bathroom was tidy - and big

Few areas for improvement - car parking was a problem - we had to double park
One of the rooms we had was in another building down the street - would have been awful if the single was for a younger member of our family - it was OK (but not our option) for us though.

I was OK with the place - but I would look around to see if there was better available if I went to Cork again. Cork by the way - is a great place.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family