“disappointed, mislead and left hungry :(” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Garnish House

Garnish House
Ranked #3 of 61 Cork B&B and Inns
Canada
“disappointed, mislead and left hungry :(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked this B&B as a highlight stop during our three week tour of Ireland. We were sorely disappointed.

When we arrived we were offered tea as promised, but due to my husband's case of food poisoning from the previous day we asked to just be shown to our room so we could rest. We were told our room was in their 'new' facility just minutes away. Strangely there was no mention of this when I booked the room in advance three weeks ago. The building we were taken to was a five-minute walk, across a road that didn't have a cross walk. We were told we would have to come back to the main building for our breakfast the following morning, slightly disappointing since you book a B&B so that you can have your meal at the same place. I didn't make a fuss because this place was touted as having the BEST breakfast in all of Cork.

Our room was fairly small, with one double bed. I had requested two singles but that was ignored. I don't know where the comments are coming from about 'large rooms with kings sized beds' but that's definitely not the welcome we received. The room was clean, but overlooked the back parking area, which was gated (gate covered in spray paint). As they told us this was a new building they had recently acquired, it was clear to us it used to be student housing, right across from the university. I didn't feel safe parking our car there as it looked quite dodgy. Had we been assigned a room in the main building as I had booked we would have been able to park out front of the building on the main road (even if we wanted to there were no spots left).

We returned to reception to ask for a twin room in the main building, and were told it was full. So much for booking in advance. We retired to our room, but were woken around 2am by other guests in the building drunkenly stumbling in. I do understand this is out of control of the owners but it added to this lackluster experience.

In the morning I was ready to give this place the benefit of the doubt and we walked over to the main building to enjoy their famous breakfast. This is the part that was the most disappointing. When the owners recently acquired two more buildings to lodge their guests, they failed to increase the dining capacity in the main building. If you have more guests than tables, why not ask guests to provide a time when they'd like to eat so you can fit everyone in accordingly (I saw it done at the many other B&Bs we stayed at during our trip). Instead, we arrived for breakfast and were told to wait in a sitting are until a table was free. Well gee, we would have just gone back to our room to wait but since it was in another building we begrudgingly took a seat in the lounge. After 15 minutes my husband went to check on the status of our table, and he happened to walk in just as the frantic hostess was seating two more guests who arrived AFTER us. My husband let them know that we were really not impressed at how disorganized the whole operation was, and we were seated promptly at another table that had yet to be cleaned up (covered in crumbs and used napkins). The waitress brought us menus and asked right away if we could order. Well, obviously not, you literally JUST handed us the menus! All of the servers were running around like chickens with their heads cut off, it was clear that this place was growing faster they could keep up with.

I ordered the salmon eggs benedict and my husband had pancakes with fruit. They asked if we were in a rush, and at this point we were. Usually when people stay at B&Bs they are on the road travelling and don't want to spend all morning waiting to eat. His pancakes were brought out within five minutes, but my eggs benedict didn't come out for another ten minutes. My husband politely waited for my food to arrive before he started eating, so his meal was cold. My meal was completely disappointing. The eggs were overdone, the hollandaise sauce was hardened on the eggs, to the point that it looked like cooked egg yolk and so I asked for more hollandaise sauce on the side. When they brought it out five minutes later it was a congealed, separated mess; I'm no chef but I can certainly prepare a better hollandaise sauce than that mush. I've included a picture so that you can see I'm not exaggerating. My husband's pancakes were way too sweet, he's big on sweets too, but these were over the top. We both left hungry, angry and disappointed.

It's clear that the owner was just trying to get people in and out as quickly as possible to make as much money without welfare for her guests. There were full kitchen facilities in the building we stayed in, why not operate a second kitchen there to properly accomodate your guests? We were VERY disappointed, will not be returning or recommending this to anyone we know. I can say with all honesty that this was the worst B&B we stayed in of the 15 that we visited during our three-week tour of Ireland.

PS. I ordered the exact same breakfast at Granville Hotel in Waterford the next morning and it was FABULOUS (also, less less expensive!)

Room Tip: If you must stay here, request a room in the main building and arrive super early for your breakfast...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank shannoneparker
GarnishHouse, Owner at Garnish House, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
I am most disappointed to read that you were disappointed with your stay at Garnish House. Your experience is certainly not typical of Garnish guests and I would like to address a number of issues you mentioned.

Garnish House consists of a number of buildings here on Western Road. Almost all of them are adjacent to one another, except for our townhouse which is one minute's walk away and is not a recent addition to Garnish, but has newly renovated rooms. This set-up what enables us to offer such a wide variety of room types to our guest, which they appreciate.

I sincerely apologize that you did not receive the twin beds you requested; this was due to simple human error. Our staff pride themselves on addressing every guest issue and if a suitable twin bedded room was not located for you, it was because one was not available.

The rooms with king-sized beds that other guests mention are our superior rooms. The features of each room type are clearly described on our website and we would trust that third-party booking engines describe them just as well.

We have 24-hour reception and all areas of Garnish House are checked regularly throughout the night. Of course, as you said yourself, we cannot control what time our guests return to their rooms or how loud they are as they do it, but had this issue with noise from other guests persisted, a phone call to reception would have taken care of it and ensured you got a good night's sleep.

As you can see from the other reviews, breakfast at Garnish is the highlight of many a guest's stay and I am sorry to read you were disappointed with it. The kitchen is always happy to prepare anything a guest requests should you have been unhappy with the selection on offer. It is also true that at times, our two breakfast rooms can get busy, but we like to offer guests the flexibility to dine whenever they wish and to linger over their coffee or tea for as long as they like.

I can assure that our guests' welfare is only ever our utmost concern and I would hope this is reflected in the many positive reviews of Garnish and the countless guests who return time and time again to stay with us.

Kind regards
Owner, Garnish House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have just returned from a fabulous 3 night stay at Garnish House and would return again tomorrow!
From the moment we walked in the door we were made welcome, tea, scones, cake and wonderful homemade fruit bread, all laid out and waiting a lovely suprise. The rooms are spacious, comfortable with plenty of soft, fluffy towels and comfy beds, allowing a peaceful nights rest, after hectic days out.
Breakfast, not to sure where to start, apart from, please make sure you are hungry, this is the best breakfast I have ever had, well cooked, good ingredients and beautifully presented. All diets are catered for, even pancakes made with no dairy produce for my other half, one word amazing.

The hotel is only a 10 minute walk from the main shopping area, with plenty of bars/pubs on the way should you feel the need for a pint of the black stuff. A 20 to 30 minute ride by taxi from the airport, cost about 18 to 20 euro, there is a bus service, but with four of us this was by the quicker and cheaper option. I would recomend taling the train to Cobh and the bus to Kilsane, both very pretty and loads to see, having sunny days was a huge bonus.

I would highly recomend the hotel, the hospitality, welcome and service is fantastic.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
GarnishHouse, Owner at Garnish House, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for such a lovely review of Garnish House and for staying with recently during your visit to Cork. I'm sure as well that your fellow travelers will find your generous sharing of tips and local information especially helpful.

I was delighted to read that you made the most of your time in Cork, finding the comfort of our guest rooms a welcome reprieve at the end of each busy day and our famous breakfast the perfect start to each morning.

Everyone at Garnish hopes you will return at some point in the future. It was an absolute pleasure accommodating you and your party here.

Kindest regards
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed for two nights and were given a really nice, clean and big room. Location was convenient, though parking was a bit challenging. Staff was friendly and generally helpful. I'd definitely considering staying here again.

1 Thank Kevin M
GarnishHouse, Owner at Garnish House, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you choosing Garnish House for your recent visit to Cork, and for your kind comments about our accommodation and staff. Rest assured that should you have any issues parking, we have a number of additional car parks we can direct you to that are all within a minute's walk of reception.

Warmest wishes,
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Katherine greeted us with the best welcome ever. Room 22 was beyond spacious with a VERY comfortable king sized bed. Although the bathroom was small, the room more than made up for it. It was within walking distance to anything major you would want to do in the city. There was plenty of parking at the hotel and the morning breakfast was great. My husband is vegan and the staff bent over backward to not only meet our expectation but exceed. Had we known how great the place was we would've stayed for longer. Would definitely stay there again!!!

Room Tip: Room 22 had an abundance of space for the heavy packer. The bathroom was small but manageable. We ha...
GarnishHouse, Owner at Garnish House, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thanks Beth for your lovely review of Garnish House. It was pleasure to host you and your husband and, as our kitchen prides itself on catering to all dietary needs, they'll be delighted to know that he enjoyed our version of a vegan breakfast. We hope you return to Ireland soon and have an extended stay here with us at Garnish House.

Best wishes
Catherine
Reception, Garnish House
ann arbor, mi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were at the Garnish House for 2 nights staying in the building down the street. All the reviews get it right about the welcoming, helpful staff. We were greeted warmly every time we walked in. The afternoon tea & scones was an unexpected delight, the best afternoon tea we had in Ireland. Don't miss it. Our room looked out back onto a cricket field. The location is excellent. Easy 15 min walk into the town center and right across the street from the University (nice place to visit). The single room on the ground floor by the stove, dryer and washing machine, did have an uncomfortable gas smell but otherwise the rooms were clean and comfortable. While we didn't make use of the washing machine etc., keep this in mind because it is great to have the facilities to wash clothes and make your own food if you'd like. We would recommend this as a very good place to stay in Cork.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GarnishHouse, Owner at Garnish House, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Garnish House. It was a delight to accommodate you and your party in our townhouse recently and we're all glad to hear that you made the most of the facilities, the location and, of course, our famous afternoon tea and breakfast selection.

The University College Cork campus is indeed a beautifully picturesque place to stroll around and as it's just across the street, it's a lovely spot for our guests to enjoy while staying here.

Warmest regards
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Dammit! Write a review? It's almost impossible without copying the superlatives already lavished on Garnish House. What a splendid five-day stay we had there this May. It was outstanding - yes, from time to time the lavatory flush was a shade temperamental - but what most impressed my wife and me was the sheer warmth, willingness and enthusiasm from every member of staff. I could tell you how comfortable the room was and how special the breakfasts were but they've been covered more than adequately by so many others. Enough to say we were charmed by the place and the people. I hadn't visited Ireland for nearly fifty years and now I realise what I've been missing. So we'll come back and we'll certainly be staying some days at Garnish House.

Room Tip: We were on the front and did not find any disturbance from traffic or any other source. The L-shaped...
GarnishHouse, Owner at Garnish House, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for your fantastic review of Garnish House. I read it with much delight and have shared your kind comments with my staff. We are already looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Ireland.

Kindest regards and thanks,
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We would be fine staying here again, but it probably wouldn't be our first choice. We were greeted warmly, and the staff was very helpful.

The room itself was okay, but we had some problems with the shower: the water kept switching between scalding hot, and ice cold, making showering difficult. The water pressure was also pretty bad so my wife found it easier to just wash her hair in the sink. We didn't notify the staff about this, so they didn't get a chance to do anything about it. There also is only a curtain of sorts (not an actual door) separating the bathroom from the room, so isn't as private as some of the other B&Bs that we stayed during our trip.

The breakfast was pretty good, but one of the mornings they completely forgot about our breakfast order--we sat at the table for an hour before someone noticed that we hadn't gotten our food yet and we had to replace or order. This wasn't the end of the world, but we lost an hour of our day we would have much rather spent out seeing Cork City. I will say that the afternoon tea was the best that we had during our 10 day trip in Ireland.

GarnishHouse, Owner at Garnish House, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for your review of Garnish House, and for choosing us as your base during your recent visit to Cork.

I am sorry to hear you experienced issues with the water pressure, temperature, etc. -- had you brought this or any other problem to the attention of our staff, they would have assisted you with it immediately.

We hope, should you return to Cork, that you consider giving Garnish a second chance, so that we may create for you the positive, memorable experience the vast majority of our guests have while here.

Warmest regards