“Another pleasant visit - Mary - Nenagh”
Review of Garnish House

Garnish House
Ranked #3 of 58 Cork B&B and Inns
Nenagh, Ireland
“Another pleasant visit - Mary - Nenagh”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I've stayed here on many occasions over the last few years. As usual no faults, I just love the cuppa on arrival not to mention the goodies that come with it. Breakfast is just the best-spoilt for choice. Very friendly hostess & her staff. Excellent location. Will be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mary S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was booked for me. I would certainly not stay there by choice. Was put in another affiliated house 100m from the main 'house' in a pokey room with little space and certainly could not work in the room. Too much useless furniture - couldn't even open the wardrobe door. The so called great breakfast is very ordinary. Minimal fresh fruit (mostly tinned), no yogurts, very hot serving plates - just a pity the food on them is often cold. I have never seen so many tables squashed into a breakfast room - no elbow room. on the +ve side the wi-fi works OK!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SaintRP9
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

A warm welcome from very friendly staff. Room and en suite shower was immaculately clean. Bed was very comfortable. The room was small, but I was only there to sleep! Afternoon tea and cake on arrival was a nice touch. Breakfast was amazing. A great location for the Uni or for people who are happy to walk into the centre (15 min walk).

Room Tip: If you are less able, ask for a room on the ground floor. The stairs are steep.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ali M
Berkshire
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I arrived before lunch-time and really didn't expect that my room would be ready for occupancy. But the staff couldn't have been more welcoming. I was seated in a nice little waiting room and before I knew it I was presented with a tray containing the most fantastic fruit cake (home made) and scones with lovely jam. I had already eaten on the plane so wasn't too hungry, but simply couldn't resist the lovely, delicious cake.
I really needed to freshen up and prepare for the work I was carrying out locally that afternoon. But although I didn't mention that, it was as if my needs were anticipated by the staff because I was offered one of their studio appartments in another house further up the road. This proved to be a great location for myself as it was a very quiet place to stay and ideal for preparations for both pieces of work I was delivering.
The little appartment had everything I needed: free WiFi, stock of teabags/coffee etc and milk in the fridge. A single bed which was comfortable and very clean, separate little shower and toilet and a small lobby. The appartment also had a cooker and microwave, so if I had wanted to cook for myself etc it would have been easy to do so.
I didn't have breakfast as I had an early start but others have commented already. One little tip:
if you are staying in the studio appartment the switch for the electric shower is located in the little lobby.
I wouldn't say the studios could be described as luxury standard, they're not. But mine anyway was comfortable, very clean and very quiet. I just made it a little home from home really during my short stay there.
I especially liked that they had a phone in the room which connects through to reception in the main house. As a female traveller travelling alone, it is reassuring to have that connection.

Room Tip: The little single studio appartment - room 2 - in another house, is very quiet and overlooks the pa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Cat C
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The garnish House proved a bit difficult to locate, but once we arrived we were made to feel very welcome.
Parking for our car was arranged at the linked establishment across the road, and our bags taken up to our top floor room for us. A nice touch too, even though we arrived relatively late in the afternoon, was the tea basket.
Room was cosy but comfy and the breakfast the next day - unbelievable. Be warned the owners and staff are proud of their breakfasts and expect you to enjoy them, pressing you to try the various treats available.
Getting a meal the previous evening was not so easy as Garnish House is not really close to anything. A good walk later however, we ended up in a Pub down the road that served good cold beer and ordered in Pizza for us, at special discounted rates. Welcome to Ireland!
Garnish House gets our tick of approval and recommendation.

Room Tip: Higher Floors have more stairs!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PleasantSurpriseDJE
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Pros: Great breakfast staff and delicious breakfast, clean for the most part, decent proximity to the city center

Cons: Room was outdated and falling apart (shower tub didn't drain and enclosure was falling off, tub jets didn't work, creaky door, 2 channels on TV, beat up furniture, etc.), loud drilling all night right outside, something generally seedy that I can't quite put my finger on

Overall: We stayed at 6 B&Bs and two hotels in our loop around Ireland, and had great experiences everywhere besides the Garnish house. As the most expensive (with breakfast factored in) B&B we stayed, and almost as expensive as our 4-str hotel in Dublin, Garnish house offered the least value. Not recommended.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Goombot
Chester, Connecticut
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I had high expectations of Garnish House after reading reviews, but I was rather disappointed. We arrived a bit after 6 pm, after some confusion finding the place. The parking lot in front of the building is too small, and people tend to double park all over the place. When we arrived, Marcel was extremely nice. We did not get to enjoy the welcome tea though (we had just come from a workshop and needed showers), so we went out to find dinner instead.

The room is nothing special at all. In fact, it was the most hotel-like of all the B&Bs we stayed at. We had a lovely view of... roofs and another window. Ugh. The bathroom is super tiny. You can stick your head in the sink while you sit on the toilet. The door is a plastic accordion that doesn't work very well. The shower was okay though (small also though). It was a very awkward room to have luggage in - we were constantly climbing around our bags (all we had were 2 hiking backpacks and two small day packs).

We were looking forward to breakfast the next morning. We came down to find the dining room completely full, and no idea when there would be a table. One of the staff told us they could call us when there was room. It was after 10 a.m. at this point- we were rather anxious to eat and get going. No one called. We went back downstairs after 20 minutes and found a table finally. The food was nothing special. The fruit was mostly canned fruit in syrup with some fresh apples tossed in. I ordered eggs the first day; they were just okay. The second morning I ordered pancakes with fresh fruit and cinnamon. They were more like crepes stuffed with tons of cinnamon- way too much cinnamon. My boyfriend ordered the Irish Breakfast both mornings; he thought it was okay. The first morning they ran out of mushrooms for his breakfast, and replaced (without telling us they ran out) them with beans- which he didn't much care for.

Also, when we had first arrived, Marcel told us that the next morning we could switch to a king size room because there would be some available. We (unfortunately) never saw Marcel again. We also were never introduced to the hostess, or anyone else who worked there. So, we did not get a larger room. The building is a little awkward too, we had to walk down a hallway in the middle of the building, up three flights of stairs to a little corner area- and that is where our room and one other room were located. That's pretty much the set up of all the rooms- so if you had a lot of heavy rolling suitcases this place would be quite difficult for you (luckily we just had backpacks!).

Also, after our much delayed breakfast the first day, we came back to our room to find a key in the door, and a maid in our room. We were rather flustered to find her there, as we had left many things lying about the room. There are no door tags to request privacy, and we really did not need the room cleaned after one night. Best to take your stuff with you when you leave if you feel unsure about the maid service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple